• HTML tutorial

Scarlet O Mikey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Lincoln, Ca
Member #

Greetings members,

Looking for input on camping in Santa Cruz, Ca. Also interested in any info for trails, not to difficult. Any info on waterfalls, and or places to take great nature photos. Thank you for your help. And Happy Trails to you all.

beck4u

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Patterson, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Becker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JAG
Following. I'd like to know what's open around big sur since the fire and highway closures.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Scarlet O Mikey

Lifes2short4BS

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Half Moon Bay, Ca
First Name
Scotty
Last Name
N
Member #

There aren't really many trails on the Santa Cruz to Half Moon Bay coast. There is a dirt road that you can go quite a ways back into the hills. It's about 100 yards south of the Costanoa KOA. Not much else beyond that. As far as camping goes. We really like Butano State park. It's Small and not too noisy. Nestled into the redwoods.

Scarlet O Mikey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Lincoln, Ca
Member #

There aren't really many trails on the Santa Cruz to Half Moon Bay coast. There is a dirt road that you can go quite a ways back into the hills. It's about 100 yards south of the Costanoa KOA. Not much else beyond that. As far as camping goes. We really like Butano State park. It's Small and not too noisy. Nestled into the redwoods.

Thank you for the great information!

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
Like @HMBxplore said not many public 4wd trails in the county or along the coast from HMB to Carmel. South of Carmel on highway 1 there is the Old Coast Road and South Coast Ridge Rd. further south. The closest 4wheeling area would be Hollister Hills SVRA.

Campgrounds:
Big Basin Redwoods SP
Henry Cowell Redwoods SP
Portola Redwoods SP
Butano SP
New Brighton Beach SP
Manresa Beach SP
Sunset Beach SP
KOA Watsonville
Memorial Park

These CGs are reserved and booked months out. Best bet is to show up early at the campground on the day you want to camp and check for cancellations. Your chances of getting a spot are slim for Friday-Sunday. Weekdays are decent.

Plenty of people boondock (in vehicle) along hwy 1 north of town (some of them full time lol). But I wouldn't suggest it.

Nearest dispersed camping I would say is in Los Padres NF a couple hours south past Big Sur.

Anywhere and everywhere along the coast and in the mountains are a photographers dream. Point and shoot. Seriously.

Reactions: Scarlet O Mikey

Gary_Tsang

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Gatos, CA, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Tsang
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI6RHD
No worries!! Get yourselves to Half Moon Bay and we can have a beer and talk Overlanding and life.
I would take you up on that and goto my favorite hop dogma and get a beer and talk overlanding and life!

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
I would take you up on that and goto my favorite hop dogma and get a beer and talk overlanding and life!

Sounds like the beginning of a meetup, I'm in for beers and rigs!

Lifes2short4BS

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Half Moon Bay, Ca
First Name
Scotty
Last Name
N
Member #

Hopdogma is awesome!! I'd also recommend a new place in downtown HMB called Sacrilege. Great beers to suit almost all tastes and the food is killer. They are closed Monday and Tuesday for brewing though.

Gary_Tsang

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Gatos, CA, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Tsang
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI6RHD
I'm free all Oct weekends. How does 10/14 Sat sound?

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
Can't do 10/14. Throwing my parents a retirement party that day.

Scarlet O Mikey

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Lincoln, Ca
Member #

Like @HMBxplore said not many public 4wd trails in the county or along the coast from HMB to Carmel. South of Carmel on highway 1 there is the Old Coast Road and South Coast Ridge Rd. further south. The closest 4wheeling area would be Hollister Hills SVRA.

Campgrounds:
Big Basin Redwoods SP
Henry Cowell Redwoods SP
Portola Redwoods SP
Butano SP
New Brighton Beach SP
Manresa Beach SP
Sunset Beach SP
KOA Watsonville
Memorial Park

These CGs are reserved and booked months out. Best bet is to show up early at the campground on the day you want to camp and check for cancellations. Your chances of getting a spot are slim for Friday-Sunday. Weekdays are decent.

Plenty of people boondock (in vehicle) along hwy 1 north of town (some of them full time lol). But I wouldn't suggest it.

Nearest dispersed camping I would say is in Los Padres NF a couple hours south past Big Sur.

Anywhere and everywhere along the coast and in the mountains are a photographers dream. Point and shoot. Seriously.
Hi Shoredreamer, thank you so much for information. Don't think we are up for the boondocking thing, part time or full time. Ha

Enjoy your meet-up and beer:30

Lifes2short4BS

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Half Moon Bay, Ca
First Name
Scotty
Last Name
N
Member #

Just found out that Pumkin Festival is 10/14-15. Might not be the best weekend for a meetup... but you sure could boondock

Gary_Tsang

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Gatos, CA, USA
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Tsang
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI6RHD
The soonest I could go would be an overnighter on Friday the 20th. I'd leave Patterson after work, or maybe leave work at noon.

Oh this is just for a meet up and a beer

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk