Salt, fat, acid & heat

• HTML tutorial

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

Salt, Fat, Acid and heat are the 4 base construction of preparing food.

What are your key things for these for you.

Mine are,

Salt,
Kosher salt for rubs and marination, Himalaya Salt for zesting after the cook, sea salt for adding flavour in the cool

FAT,
Fry and skottel it must be Animal LARD, pastas single olive oil, salad dressings triple olive oil, deep frying is peanut or vegetable oil

Acids,
Honey, lime/lemon, lemon grass, malt vinegar

Heat
Gas - Scottel, cast iron pan, Dutch oven,
Ground coals - Dutch oven,
Heated rocks / over night cook in covered ground - grape vine leaves/ cabbage/ bamboo sheets/ aluminum foil

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

Never gave it much thought..

Salt : Regular table salt, Soy Sauce.

FAT : Mayo for sandwiches, olive oil for most everything else. Bacon grease for cooking eggs.

Acids : Worcestershire sauce, Del Monte sweet pickle relish (sandwiches), Do Chili peppers & tomatoes count?

Heat : Colman stove, cast iron pan. Sometime open fire for grilling.

Where do onions fit in?

-jim lee

Citizen Rob

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Stockton, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSM
There is a great four part series on Netflix called Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat that explains how these all relate to each other. The "Fat" episode was really interesting.

Also, has anyone here ever done a salt taste test? Taste a pinch of Kosher. Then taste a pinch of sea salt. Finally taste a pinch of regular iodized salt. The iodized tastes terrible compared to the other two.

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

There is a great four part series on Netflix called Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat that explains how these all relate to each other. The "Fat" episode was really interesting.

Also, has anyone here ever done a salt taste test? Taste a pinch of Kosher. Then taste a pinch of sea salt. Finally taste a pinch of regular iodized salt. The iodized tastes terrible compared to the other two.
Yea it’s amazing, the taste of salt is crazy and can make a meal..

When I was in South Africa they have a jersey called Belitung. Traditionally they used the sweat from a horse to cure it.
I tried some, that they said they did it like that.. how true that is not sure, however it was great and tasted different to their normal curing.

Dustin03

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Arizona
Member #

This is a great watch, even if you don't have much experience in the kitchen. It makes you think more about the role each ingredient has to play in your final product, and how to strike a balance. For me, I find myself using a lot more vinegar (acid) than I ever used to.

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

This is a great watch, even if you don't have much experience in the kitchen. It makes you think more about the role each ingredient has to play in your final product, and how to strike a balance. For me, I find myself using a lot more vinegar (acid) than I ever used to.
I agree, last night we made a Sauce and we thought there was something missing so I added some Lemon to it and olive oil and bang. It started to work out.
We used the fat from the meat.