Brea
First Name
JB
Last Name
Blakely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HM6HHK
Looking at heading up on the 18th returning either Sunday or Monday if anyone is interested 20180428_190838.jpeg

Reactions: Graeman

A-Aron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Just was there Dec 25-30.. wind was nuts, some of the roads have been graded recently which was a nice treat. Let me know if you have any questions. Drove about every road you can in the winter north of the 190.

Jaycee

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Just was there Dec 25-30.. wind was nuts, some of the roads have been graded recently which was a nice treat. Let me know if you have any questions. Drove about every road you can in the winter north of the 190.
Hi Aron,
Are there areas to avoid after rains. Forecast is calling for rain and would like to avoid any trouble spots if i decide to go still.

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Hi Aron,
Are there areas to avoid after rains. Forecast is calling for rain and would like to avoid any trouble spots if i decide to go still.
What are you driving?

JB4TRUCKS

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Brea
First Name
JB
Last Name
Blakely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HM6HHK
Looking for a GPX file for north pass entrance/route

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Hi Aron,
Are you using a Farmer's Almanac to forecast rain during that weekend? 10 days away and I know that the weather forecasters in AZ are not good enough to be accurate that far out, much less 3 days out.

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Looking for a GPX file for north pass entrance/route
Coming from Big Pine? There are signs the whole way. Going down Saline or over towards Eureka then down?

Jaycee

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Coming from Big Pine? There are signs the whole way. Going down Saline or over towards Eureka then down?
Plannibg the east to west route. From I15 to Baker and to Beatty, NV start in to the park from Titus Canyon, up around Ubehebe Crater down to Racetrack. Then across Lipincot up Steele to Eureka Dunes then out Big Pine. Not sure i can do all of this friday - sun but gonna find out soon

Jaycee

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Are you using a Farmer's Almanac to forecast rain during that weekend? 10 days away and I know that the weather forecasters in AZ are not good enough to be accurate that far out, much less 3 days out.
Hi Graeman,
Havent checked the Almanac but forecast has been changing daily and now doesnt show rain till Sun night so might get lucky.

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
5th gen 4runner. Bfg TA tires with 2.5 leveling lift
You'll be plenty fine to run about any trail you could get to this time of year.. no doubt! If you're going solo.. just avoid the Hunter mountain area.. it's traveled lightly in the winter, conditions change fast.

Reactions: Jaycee

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Plannibg the east to west route. From I15 to Baker and to Beatty, NV start in to the park from Titus Canyon, up around Ubehebe Crater down to Racetrack. Then across Lipincot up Steele to Eureka Dunes then out Big Pine. Not sure i can do all of this friday - sun but gonna find out soon
Plan extra time from the crater to the racetrack.. rumor has it.. worst road in North America.. washboard... Sounds fun though, you'll make up time from Lippincott to warm springs, it's been grated recently. Going down Dedeckera.. stay left, stay left, stay right, crank to left, swing wide left.. ez pz. Took me 1.5 hrs from warm springs in daytime to Dedeckera.. but I didn't stop for Marble bath. Sand isn't bad either at Eureka, just stay steady. After that, just watch for ice in North pass by the rock fall area, I hit black ice with my trailer and did a 180 deg spin at 11pm.. kids slept through it.

Reactions: SashaLee and Jaycee

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Plan extra time from the crater to the racetrack.. rumor has it.. worst road in North America.. washboard... Sounds fun though, you'll make up time from Lippincott to warm springs, it's been grated recently. Going down Dedeckera.. stay left, stay left, stay right, crank to left, swing wide left.. ez pz. Took me 1.5 hrs from warm springs in daytime to Dedeckera.. but I didn't stop for Marble bath. Sand isn't bad either at Eureka, just stay steady. After that, just watch for ice in North pass by the rock fall area, I hit black ice with my trailer and did a 180 deg spin at 11pm.. kids slept through it.
Run 15-18 psi and the roads will be a lot more bearable

Supernaut

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Marc
Last Name
Heinze
Member #

A word of caution, the weather and those roads should not be underestimated. If you haven’t been before it may be easy to do that. Being stuck/broke out there during a government shutdown will not be in your favor.

I’ve been in and out of SV several times, if it were me and I absolutely had to get down there in the winter, I’d go South pass. Safe travels.

Supernaut

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Marc
Last Name
Heinze
Member #

I agree. If Lippencott’s in nice shape it can be a good choice.

JB4TRUCKS

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Brea
First Name
JB
Last Name
Blakely
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
HM6HHK
2011 GMC 4x4, will go in via so pass and out via north if both are open

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
A word of caution, the weather and those roads should not be underestimated. If you haven’t been before it may be easy to do that. Being stuck/broke out there during a government shutdown will not be in your favor.

I’ve been in and out of SV several times, if it were me and I absolutely had to get down there in the winter, I’d go South pass. Safe travels.
We were there during a the shut down over the holiday.. loads of people, but yes.. be cautious, my bother busted a rear axle in Dedeckera, we did a full swap, but there were 10-12 rigs that passed is on that Saturday while we were working on it. Worst road conditions were north part of saline up to big pine, you'll avoid those through steel pass. South down to the 190 had a couple snowy spots.. but far less and less steep. My brother and I made it from the saline warm springs turn off to 190 in the dark.. with trailers.. in 1.5 hrs but we have a lot of exterior lighting. Steel pass didn't have any wet or snowy spots at the time. But it was cold for sure. Rain can change the road conditions at any time.. be prepared and you'll be fine.

Jaycee

Rank II

Enthusiast III

We were there during a the shut down over the holiday.. loads of people, but yes.. be cautious, my bother busted a rear axle in Dedeckera, we did a full swap, but there were 10-12 rigs that passed is on that Saturday while we were working on it. Worst road conditions were north part of saline up to big pine, you'll avoid those through steel pass. South down to the 190 had a couple snowy spots.. but far less and less steep. My brother and I made it from the saline warm springs turn off to 190 in the dark.. with trailers.. in 1.5 hrs but we have a lot of exterior lighting. Steel pass didn't have any wet or snowy spots at the time. But it was cold for sure. Rain can change the road conditions at any time.. be prepared and you'll be fine.
Sounds like you had an adventure. My rig is not equiped with any accss lights so i travel only during daylight but have been eager to try night travel.