Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
We all enjoy getting out in to nature, and having adventures. When we are pursuing our adventures, it is important to remember we are guests, visiting these wild places. I hope to share some time proven strategies to increase your safety, when you have rare encounters with potentially dangerous animals.

A good policy, when in wild places, is not to surprise the animals. Let them know you are in the area. Travel in groups, the larger the better. It is OK to talk, laugh, or even sing loudly. Be observant, plug in to your environment, not to your iPod.

Bear

grizzly-bear2.jpg

The good news, is that we know a lot more about bears, then we do Cougars. The bad news, is there isn’t as much consistency with Bears. I would recommend reading NOLS publication “Bear Essentials”. National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) publishes lots of good information for people that want to enjoy wild places.

Encountering bears is more common than many other animals. Some bears have become food conditioned and habituated. These bears are often referred to as nuisance bears, because they have learned to associate people with food. Often this forces authorities to kill the bear, to prevent potential loss of human life. These bears are far the most dangerous bear you are likely to encounter. These bears are actively searching out humans, and can get very aggressive. Keep a clean camp, and don’t accidently feed bears by leaving food behind. Practice Tread Lightly principles, and carry everything out, that is carried in. I bear that feeds on human food, is a dead Bear.

Bears have an incredible sense of smell. This is their primary sense used for locating food. Food storage is very important in bear country. Good information is available at the discussion at:
https://overlandbound.com/forums/threads/where-do-you-store-your-food-is-it-safe-to-store-it-in-the-car.5722/ I will not revisit this topic. I only want to add, that anything with a sent will attract bears. Not only food, but cosmetics such as: soap, woman’s makeup, and aftershave. These should be treated like food, with all the same precautions.

If you see a bear at a distance, these are some good ruled to follow for Viewing Etiquette:
  • Respect a bear's space. Binoculars and spotting scopes allow you to view bears without getting too close.
  • Never approach, crowd, pursue, or displace bears. If a bear changes its behavior because of your presence, you are too close!
  • Stay in groups and minimize noise and movement. However, in areas of low visibility or when you're out on the trail, reduce chances of surprise encounters by staying alert and talking calmly to identify yourself as a human, not another animal.
  • Stay on designated trails whenever possible.
  • Leave "orphaned" or sick bears alone. Young animals that appear alone usually have a mother waiting nearby. Never get between a mother and her cub.
  • Leave pets at home: Our pets can be troublesome around bears. At times, a barking dog can induce a fight instinct in Bears.
  • Let bears eat their natural foods. Do not feed the bears
  • You are responsible for your safety and the safety of wildlife. If a bear approaches you, it is your responsibility to move away and maintain a safe distance.
Once a bear has noticed you and is paying attention to you, additional strategies can help prevent the situation from escalating.
  • Identify yourself by talking calmly so the bear knows you are a human and not a prey animal. Remain still; stand your ground but slowly wave your arms. Help the bear recognize you as a human. It may come closer or stand on its hind legs to get a better look or smell. A standing bear is usually curious, not threatening.
  • Stay calm and remember that most bears do not want to attack you; they usually just want to be left alone. Bears may bluff their way out of an encounter by charging and then turning away at the last second. Bears may also react defensively by woofing, yawning, salivating, growling, snapping their jaws, and laying their ears back. Continue to talk to the bear in low tones; this will help you stay calmer, and it won't be threatening to the bear. A scream or sudden movement may trigger an attack. Never imitate bear sounds or make a high-pitched squeal.
  • Pick up small children immediately.
  • Hike and travel in groups. Groups of people are usually noisier and smellier than a single person. Therefore, bears often become aware of groups of people at greater distances, and because of their cumulative size, groups are also intimidating to bears.
  • Make yourselves look as large as possible (for example, move to higher ground).
  • Do NOT allow the bear access to your food. Getting your food will only encourage the bear and make the problem worse for others.
  • Do NOT drop your pack as it can provide protection for your back and prevent a bear from accessing your food.
  • If the bear is stationary, move away slowly and sideways; this allows you to keep an eye on the bear and avoid tripping. Moving sideways is also non-threatening to bears. Do NOT run, but if the bear follows, stop and hold your ground. Bears can run as fast as a racehorse both uphill and down. Like dogs, they will chase fleeing animals. Do NOT climb a tree. Both grizzlies and black bears can climb trees.
  • Leave the area or take a detour. If this is impossible, wait until the bear moves away. Always leave the bear an escape route.
  • Be especially cautious if you see a female with cubs; never place yourself between a mother and her cub, and never attempt to approach them. The chances of an attack escalate greatly if she perceives you as a danger to her cubs.
Bear attacks are rare; most bears are only interested in protecting food, cubs, or their space. However, being mentally prepared can help you have the most effective reaction. Every situation is different, but below are guidelines on how brown bear attacks can differ from black bear attacks. Help protect others by reporting all bear incidents to a park ranger immediately. Above all, keep your distance from bears!
  • Brown/Grizzly/Kodiac Bears: If you are attacked by a brown/grizzly/kodiac bear PLAY DEAD. Lay flat on your stomach with your hands clasped behind your neck. Spread your legs to make it harder for the bear to turn you over. Remain still until the bear leaves the area. Fighting back usually increases the intensity of such attacks. However, if the attack persists for longer than a few seconds, fight back vigorously. Use whatever you have at hand to hit the bear in the face.
  • Black Bears: If you are attacked by a black bear, DO NOT PLAY DEAD. Try to escape to a secure place such as your rig. If escape is not possible, try to fight back using any object available. Concentrate your kicks and blows on the bear's face and muzzle.
If any bear attacks you in your tent, or stalks you and then attacks, DO NOT PLAY DEAD —fight back! This kind of attack is very rare, but can be serious because it often means the bear is looking for food and sees you as prey.

Bear pepper spray can be an important thing to carry when exploring the back country. It is used defensively to stop an aggressive, charging, or attacking bear. Although it’s used in the same manner you would use mace on an attacking person, bear pepper spray and human pepper spray are not the same. Make sure you select an EPA approved product that is specifically designed to stop aggressive bears. It is not a repellent so do not apply to your body or equipment

Last edited by a moderator:

Northernlady

Rank V
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada
First Name
Karen
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

Bears are very unpredictable and dangerous. Bear spray is hit or miss. https://craigmedred.news/2017/06/29/bear-spray-yes-or-no/ Understanding the world is a wild place and comes with no guarantees is a plan. Dogs kill more people in the U.S. in a year than are killed by bears in ten. 4.5 million bites by dogs a year, might be better off carrying dog spray.
Yes true enough. Bear spray is hit or miss but still it is something...better than nothing I think. When I am in an area that allows it i also carry a rifle....

Andy G

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cannonsburg, MI
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Grow
Member #

IMG_8611.JPG Good post! I spent 14 years in Alaska - 8 of those on Kodiak island. Had dozens of bear encounters and only one that was negative (okay, two of them if you count me being passed out on a bear trail...but that's another story).

The more educated you are, the better the odds are in your favor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sclary3

Madbodhi

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Mayville WI
Member #

Planning a 2 week trip dispersed camping to the wilds of Montana in August. Bears are a concern. I will be carrying a 10mm loaded with hardcast when hiking and a 12 gauge with Brenneke's around camp. The wife will carry bear spray . We also are putting together a solar powered electric fence and audible alarm trip wires to set around camp at night. The current plan is if we come across a bear to leave the area if possible. Bear spray if it follows or otherwise appears more curious than we're comfortable with. However, with 2 small children, I cannot sit out a charge and hope it's a bluff. Any charge closer than 30 yds and it's getting lit up.

Enthusiast III

Costa Mesa
First Name
Stan
Last Name
Wingert
Remember the Bears head is the most armored part of its body I worked with a guy that was a guide in Alaska for many years he always said 12 gauge alternating rifled slugs and double 00 buck shot and aim for the shoulders said they can run 40 miles an hour so you won’t have much time to decide make sure you get a practice time in before you go that 10 mm will have a little bit more snap then most when I do a double tap with my 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge mag it definitely gave me second thoughts about double taps

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Sclary3 and Andy G

Madbodhi

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Mayville WI
Member #

Really hope it doesn't come to that. I am an experienced shooter and have taken multiple firearms classes. Enough to know that the speed at which a human can cover 15 yds. Both the wife and myself will practice before the trip. Ive been watching videos of encounters as well as seeking reccomendations on bear safety from those that are more experienced with them on camp cleanliness and such. That even such things as toothpaste can attract them so no brushing your teeth and spitting by the tent. Not to burn refuse in the camp fire and in fact, if your cooking on a campfire to have a seperate fire for cooking at a distance from your site . Are just some of the reccomendations I've gotten.

Reactions: Sclary3 and chetmak

Angel Sterling

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Alberta, Canada
Member #

All great info! I live in Alberta so I'm very close to bear territory. I make sure to take some sort of repellent whether it's spray or audible bear bangers.

Andy G

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cannonsburg, MI
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Grow
Member #

Planning a 2 week trip dispersed camping to the wilds of Montana in August. Bears are a concern. I will be carrying a 10mm loaded with hardcast when hiking and a 12 gauge with Brenneke's around camp. The wife will carry bear spray . We also are putting together a solar powered electric fence and audible alarm trip wires to set around camp at night. The current plan is if we come across a bear to leave the area if possible. Bear spray if it follows or otherwise appears more curious than we're comfortable with. However, with 2 small children, I cannot sit out a charge and hope it's a bluff. Any charge closer than 30 yds and it's getting lit up.
I suggest you practice using a little shooting game we'd use on Kodiak. Get a regular sized paper plate on a string pulley system, about 3-5' off the ground, and about 50 yards away. Have someone start pulling the plate towards you as fast as they can, while you draw and fire, seeing how many times you can hit the plate before it gets to you. If you can hit it, great...now add in the pure adrenaline that will be dumped into your blood stream.

Unless you kill that bear with one shot, just wounding it will only piss it off - UNLESS it gets scared away. When hunting Kodiak brownies, I've seen one take MULTIPLE shots from a .338 Win Mag and a 500grain .45-70. They just don't stop.

The absolute best bear protection was my marine shotgun with extended mag tube. First shot is a loud cracker, followed by 2 rounds of heavy birdshot, followed by the biggest slugs I could find. Served me well in my 9 years on Kodiak, and only had to fire twice. Never carried a handgun, only the shotgun.

Actually, the best bear protection is a single shot .22LR pistol. You shoot your buddy in the knee and you take off, leaving him behind. :)

Montaska

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Anchorage/Nikiski, Alaska
Member #

Really hope it doesn't come to that. I am an experienced shooter and have taken multiple firearms classes. Enough to know that the speed at which a human can cover 15 yds. Both the wife and myself will practice before the trip. Ive been watching videos of encounters as well as seeking reccomendations on bear safety from those that are more experienced with them on camp cleanliness and such. That even such things as toothpaste can attract them so no brushing your teeth and spitting by the tent. Not to burn refuse in the camp fire and in fact, if your cooking on a campfire to have a seperate fire for cooking at a distance from your site . Are just some of the reccomendations I've gotten.
It's good to be prepared, but in 30 years of living in Montana and hiking all over the place, I've never had a negative bear encounter. Bears generally want to be around you as much as you want to be around them.

I saw the most bears while working security for the Yellowstone Club and that's a fairly urban area (which = garbage for the bears to eat).

Again, good to be prepared, but you probably wont see any bears. Also a good idea to make sure you have Fish & Wildlife's number in your phone if you do have to shoot a bear because they will come out and conduct an investigation.

Last edited:

Dayle Fields

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Poland, Indiana
Member #

We all enjoy getting out in to nature, and having adventures. When we are pursuing our adventures, it is important to remember we are guests, visiting these wild places. I hope to share some time proven strategies to increase your safety, when you have rare encounters with potentially dangerous animals.

A good policy, when in wild places, is not to surprise the animals. Let them know you are in the area. Travel in groups, the larger the better. It is OK to talk, laugh, or even sing loudly. Be observant, plug in to your environment, not to your iPod.

Bear

View attachment 30914

The good news, is that we know a lot more about bears, then we do Cougars. The bad news, is there isn’t as much consistency with Bears. I would recommend reading NOLS publication “Bear Essentials”. National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) publishes lots of good information for people that want to enjoy wild places.

Encountering bears is more common than many other animals. Some bears have become food conditioned and habituated. These bears are often referred to as nuisance bears, because they have learned to associate people with food. Often this forces authorities to kill the bear, to prevent potential loss of human life. These bears are far the most dangerous bear you are likely to encounter. These bears are actively searching out humans, and can get very aggressive. Keep a clean camp, and don’t accidently feed bears by leaving food behind. Practice Tread Lightly principles, and carry everything out, that is carried in. I bear that feeds on human food, is a dead Bear.

Bears have an incredible sense of smell. This is their primary sense used for locating food. Food storage is very important in bear country. Good information is available at the discussion at:
https://overlandbound.com/forums/threads/where-do-you-store-your-food-is-it-safe-to-store-it-in-the-car.5722/ I will not revisit this topic. I only want to add, that anything with a sent will attract bears. Not only food, but cosmetics such as: soap, woman’s makeup, and aftershave. These should be treated like food, with all the same precautions.

If you see a bear at a distance, these are some good ruled to follow for Viewing Etiquette:
  • Respect a bear's space. Binoculars and spotting scopes allow you to view bears without getting too close.
  • Never approach, crowd, pursue, or displace bears. If a bear changes its behavior because of your presence, you are too close!
  • Stay in groups and minimize noise and movement. However, in areas of low visibility or when you're out on the trail, reduce chances of surprise encounters by staying alert and talking calmly to identify yourself as a human, not another animal.
  • Stay on designated trails whenever possible.
  • Leave "orphaned" or sick bears alone. Young animals that appear alone usually have a mother waiting nearby. Never get between a mother and her cub.
  • Leave pets at home: Our pets can be troublesome around bears. At times, a barking dog can induce a fight instinct in Bears.
  • Let bears eat their natural foods. Do not feed the bears
  • You are responsible for your safety and the safety of wildlife. If a bear approaches you, it is your responsibility to move away and maintain a safe distance.
Once a bear has noticed you and is paying attention to you, additional strategies can help prevent the situation from escalating.
  • Identify yourself by talking calmly so the bear knows you are a human and not a prey animal. Remain still; stand your ground but slowly wave your arms. Help the bear recognize you as a human. It may come closer or stand on its hind legs to get a better look or smell. A standing bear is usually curious, not threatening.
  • Stay calm and remember that most bears do not want to attack you; they usually just want to be left alone. Bears may bluff their way out of an encounter by charging and then turning away at the last second. Bears may also react defensively by woofing, yawning, salivating, growling, snapping their jaws, and laying their ears back. Continue to talk to the bear in low tones; this will help you stay calmer, and it won't be threatening to the bear. A scream or sudden movement may trigger an attack. Never imitate bear sounds or make a high-pitched squeal.
  • Pick up small children immediately.
  • Hike and travel in groups. Groups of people are usually noisier and smellier than a single person. Therefore, bears often become aware of groups of people at greater distances, and because of their cumulative size, groups are also intimidating to bears.
  • Make yourselves look as large as possible (for example, move to higher ground).
  • Do NOT allow the bear access to your food. Getting your food will only encourage the bear and make the problem worse for others.
  • Do NOT drop your pack as it can provide protection for your back and prevent a bear from accessing your food.
  • If the bear is stationary, move away slowly and sideways; this allows you to keep an eye on the bear and avoid tripping. Moving sideways is also non-threatening to bears. Do NOT run, but if the bear follows, stop and hold your ground. Bears can run as fast as a racehorse both uphill and down. Like dogs, they will chase fleeing animals. Do NOT climb a tree. Both grizzlies and black bears can climb trees.
  • Leave the area or take a detour. If this is impossible, wait until the bear moves away. Always leave the bear an escape route.
  • Be especially cautious if you see a female with cubs; never place yourself between a mother and her cub, and never attempt to approach them. The chances of an attack escalate greatly if she perceives you as a danger to her cubs.
Bear attacks are rare; most bears are only interested in protecting food, cubs, or their space. However, being mentally prepared can help you have the most effective reaction. Every situation is different, but below are guidelines on how brown bear attacks can differ from black bear attacks. Help protect others by reporting all bear incidents to a park ranger immediately. Above all, keep your distance from bears!
  • Brown/Grizzly/Kodiac Bears: If you are attacked by a brown/grizzly/kodiac bear PLAY DEAD. Lay flat on your stomach with your hands clasped behind your neck. Spread your legs to make it harder for the bear to turn you over. Remain still until the bear leaves the area. Fighting back usually increases the intensity of such attacks. However, if the attack persists for longer than a few seconds, fight back vigorously. Use whatever you have at hand to hit the bear in the face.
  • Black Bears: If you are attacked by a black bear, DO NOT PLAY DEAD. Try to escape to a secure place such as your rig. If escape is not possible, try to fight back using any object available. Concentrate your kicks and blows on the bear's face and muzzle.
If any bear attacks you in your tent, or stalks you and then attacks, DO NOT PLAY DEAD —fight back! This kind of attack is very rare, but can be serious because it often means the bear is looking for food and sees you as prey.

Bear pepper spray can be an important thing to carry when exploring the back country. It is used defensively to stop an aggressive, charging, or attacking bear. Although it’s used in the same manner you would use mace on an attacking person, bear pepper spray and human pepper spray are not the same. Make sure you select an EPA approved product that is specifically designed to stop aggressive bears. It is not a repellent so do not apply to your body or equipment
Thank you for this article this information will help me to hopefully be more prepared.

Chris Owens

Rank II

Advocate II

Vermont
Member #

I lived and worked as a guide in CO for many years. I only had two bear encounters. I walked up on a bear I did not see, he stood up, looked at me, grunted, and then started slowly walking towards me. I followed what I had been taught...walk backwards slowly and speak softly. He followed me all the way to my vehicle. Once inside he pressed his nose against the glass and watched me for a minute or so than walked away.

The second encounter was in a remote camping situation. It sounded like a large bear, probably mom, and cubs. They sniffed all over my tent and were stepping on the sides of the tent right next to me. The only thing I had was a hammer. lol. I just sat quietly until they left. I felt like this was nearly a bad situation. Luckily all ended well.

I don't carry or own a gun. I have watched several videos of people trying to simulate hitting a bear running full speed at them. Almost nobody can shoot well enough under that stress to save themselves. I would recommend bear spray and wearing a bell. The sound will always let them know where you are and limit any surprise encounters. It is very rare to be attacked by a bear.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
An aside, as a citizen of this country, I will never consider myself a guest on public property.
Ah kind sir, but we all are, indeed, guests of this earth and by extension private or public lands. And, as good guests, we should treat our host with the deepest of respect.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Great write up from the OP. I've done a fair share of research on this and fortunately have only encountered 2 bears in our travels. One was a mother with 3 cubs. That was quite a site. The other time the bear thought he was hiding from us behind some low bushes. We just watched ome another carefully for quite some time. He ( maybe a yearling) finally scampered off without a care in the world. We carry bear spray and so far have never used it. Much the same is true of our PLB, we've never used it. I don't get the gun thing, never have, grew up with a 22 rifle and shot gun on the farm and never gave them a second thought. Here is an interesting bit of research. Not hearsay, nor anecdotal, but well founded studies of bear attacks.

https://www.outsideonline.com/1899301/shoot-or-spray-best-way-stop-charging-bear

Reactions: Sclary3 and Ditch