Rank V

Pathfinder III

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

One of the items on my list as I build my truck is accessory switching. I plan the run an onboard air compressor, lockers, winch, and lights. Now I know I can’t drop that kind of cash all at once so I’ll start at the switches and move up from there.

The S-Pod system looks very attractive from what I could see on the YouTubes, but it’s all coming from mostly Jeep guys. I would be using it on a 2018 ram 2500

A few questions I have, are there any competitors in that space I should pay attention to? Electricity might as well be magic to me, but I can follow instructions and properly crimp and heat shirk wires. Do I need a professional installer? Lastly, since most of the devices I want to run come with a switch, do I really need the S-Pod at all.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Salty4Life
I would be using it on a 2018 ram 2500

A few questions I have, are there any competitors in that space I should pay attention to? Electricity might as well be magic to me, but I can follow instructions and properly crimp and heat shirk wires. Do I need a professional installer? Lastly, since most of the devices I want to run come with a switch, do I really need the S-Pod at all.
Last question first, No you don't NEED an S-POD. for many of the accessories you list you DO need a properly sized fuse, relay, and wires large enough to carry the load. Think of electricity like water, you need a bigger pipe to carry more juice for power hungry devices like a Winch, Air compressor, than you do for lights. Components need to be sized correctly.

There are a number of other players in the power distribution space.
Look at:
The Jeep (or other make) specific kits are usually just an easy mounting option for the relay box under the hood and switch plate in the cab. Not sure if there are any kits specific for RAM trucks but the Universal kits should fit the bill you'll just need to figure out where and how to mount the system. Here is a video showing one person's way of mounting an S-POD in their RAM2500
Getting it installed professionally is really up to you and your comfort level.

Boort

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
While there are other competitors I went with and Spod. I’ve owned two units, one was their original and the newer one is their blue tooth enabled unit with touch screen. I love both and the really important part is the top notch customer service I have received from them after the sale.

Is it needed? No. Is it a great switching system? Absolutely.

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I went with the switch pro 9100. I absolutely love the thing. The blue tooth makes changing settings very easy. I originally had it on our 2016 ram 1500 and loved the set up and location for the mount i made. I have yet to transfer it to the new rig but will be doing so in the near future. The part that I really like about it and similar to the spod is that it makes the addition of new items very easy and you are only really wiring one with and a ground. As stated so you need it no, but it is very nice to have and imo makes the install of that many switched and relays extremely clean. IMG_20180924_184952_748.jpeg

Reactions: Cort