Rank IV

Steward I

Lafayette, Colorado, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Ziffer
Member #

Hi Overland Bound! I love reading other build threads and figured I might as well start my own.
I found a rust free, factory locked, 97 Land Cruiser a couple hours away in Steamboat Springs to replace my aging ‘88 Toyota Pickup. The pickup was a great truck, but not very safe or practical with a 3 year old. I’ve always loved the 80 series and it seems like a great adventure rig to add to the stables.
This thread will hopefully serve as a central spot to not only record all my mods and adventures, but provide some entertainment along the way. Enjoy!

20190804_142218.jpg
As it sat the day of purchase (8/17/19) @ 259k miles

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Hi Overland Bound! I love reading other build threads and figured I might as well start my own.
I found a rust free, factory locked, 97 Land Cruiser a couple hours away in Steamboat Springs to replace my aging ‘88 Toyota Pickup. It’s a great truck, but not very safe or practical with a 3 year old. I’ve always loved the 80 series and it seems like a great adventure rig to add to the stables.
This thread will hopefully serve as a central spot to not only record all my mods and adventures, but provide some entertainment along the way. Enjoy!
View attachment 115350
So what do you plan to do yo it. It's already trail ready isn't it. I like these rigs too but could never afford one and don't know anything about foreign engineered and produced vehicles. Love those little 88 toys too, they are tough little dudes. Is it 4x4 or 2x4 ?

RZFZJ80

Rank IV

Steward I

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Ziffer
Member #

So what do you plan to do yo it. It's already trail ready isn't it. I like these rigs too but could never afford one and don't know anything about foreign engineered and produced vehicles. Love those little 88 toys too, they are tough little dudes. Is it 4x4 or 2x4 ?
Probably lots of smaller projects for now. I think a rear storage system is first on the list. It’s definitely trail ready and the previous owner added a nice bit of kit to the truck.
My 88 is 4x4 and has been a blast.
2CF56FD9-106F-4BCC-BB72-D06395192F6E.jpeg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Probably lots of smaller projects for now. I think a rear storage system is first on the list. It’s definitely trail ready and the previous owner added a nice bit of kit to the truck.
My 88 is 4x4 and has been a blast.
View attachment 115355
Gung Ho my fellow OB'er

Reactions: RZFZJ80

RZFZJ80

Rank IV

Steward I

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Ziffer
Member #

Before any fun begins, it's time to dive into some of the issues with the truck. I used my OBDII scan tool to read the stored codes since the 96-97 models were fully compliant. There were a bunch stored and I had no idea how old they were so I cleared them in hopes that everything was actually fine. The previous owner ripped off a fender flair in Moab, so I repaired it with some new 3M tape and JBweld plastic weld and detailed the truck inside and out. The paint was pretty worn and definitely needed wax. I also took the time to remove the deteriorating wood trim on the interior panels.

fenderinstalledandtruckwashed.JPG
*Fender reinstalled and truck washed/waxed

oldwoodtrim.JPG
*old wood interior trim

RZFZJ80

Rank IV

Steward I

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Ziffer
Member #

The next day I took it in for an emissions test and...failed. The check engine light came back on during the test and the results indicated high NOx and a failed gas cap as well. I read the codes again and they pointed to both O2 sensors failing so I ordered new factory O2 sensors, a new gas cap, and some random trim clips and pieces that were missing. I also ordered both replacement catalytic converters in case it came to that and a new air filter since the old one was filthy.

oldcats.JPG
*these cats have seen better days...

dirtyfilter.JPG
*old filter. Technically washable, but this was beyond its serviceable life

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Before any fun begins, it's time to dive into some of the issues with the truck. I used my OBDII scan tool to read the stored codes since the 96-97 models were fully compliant. There were a bunch stored and I had no idea how old they were so I cleared them in hopes that everything was actually fine. The previous owner ripped off a fender flair in Moab, so I repaired it with some new 3M tape and JBweld plastic weld and detailed the truck inside and out. The paint was pretty worn and definitely needed wax. I also took the time to remove the deteriorating wood trim on the interior panels.

View attachment 115382
*Fender reinstalled and truck washed/waxed

View attachment 115383
*old wood interior trim
Looks almost new in pic's. Nice clean up. You wont want to get down and dirty now :-)

RZFZJ80

Rank IV

Steward I

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Ziffer
Member #

Over the long weekend I installed a center diff lock switch (to be able to lock in high range) and a new Apple CarPlay deck. I also replaced both cats, O2 sensors, air filter, and PCV components. I also added an inline air/oil separator - a mod popular on the ih8mud forums. The truck easily passed emissions and we decided to take it out for a celebratory trip through the Roosevelt National Forest.

IMG_20190902_173047.JPG
*air/oil separator

firsttrip.png

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Over the long weekend I installed a center diff lock switch (to be able to lock in high range) and a new Apple CarPlay deck. I also replaced both cats, O2 sensors, air filter, and PCV components. I also added an inline air/oil separator - a mod popular on the ih8mud forums. The truck easily passed emissions and we decided to take it out for a celebratory trip through the Roosevelt National Forest.

View attachment 115965
*air/oil separator

View attachment 115966
What is the function of the ih8mud devise ? Is that it in the picture ? How would air/oil get into the fuel system ?

RZFZJ80

Rank IV

Steward I

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Ziffer
Member #

What is the function of the ih8mud devise ? Is that it in the picture ? How would air/oil get into the fuel system ?
Yeah, it's the clear piece in the picture. It catches oil before it makes its way into the intake manifold though the pcv system. Time will tell, but others have had it collect a significant amount.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Yeah, it's the clear piece in the picture. It catches oil before it makes its way into the intake manifold though the pcv system. Time will tell, but others have had it collect a significant amount.
What's wrong with having a swigged of oil in the gas. Is the oil a part of the gas formula or is it just dirty gas from the sellers tank ?
Is this inherent to fuel injected engines only ? What does air removal have to with anything since it takes air to be combustible. Just trying to understand a little more about your devise.

RZFZJ80

Rank IV

Steward I

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Ziffer
Member #

What's wrong with having a swigged of oil in the gas. Is the oil a part of the gas formula or is it just dirty gas from the sellers tank ?
Is this inherent to fuel injected engines only ? What does air removal have to with anything since it takes air to be combustible. Just trying to understand a little more about your devise.
It’s just to keep the intake manifold from getting all gummed up. Here it is after a couple hundred miles. Looks like it’s doing its job!
IMG_8301.jpg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I wonder why the truck mfg dosent put your devise on from the factory. Maybe they want us to replace our engines more often or it's a design obsolescence issue we should all consider. I don't like what the substance looks like but if it's in the gas maybe it's added for a reason to the fuel. Engineers where are you out there,
I'd like to hear a scientific explanation for this issue.

RZFZJ80

Rank IV

Steward I

First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Ziffer
Member #

In other (more exciting) news, my Bowfin Cruisers roof rack arrived today and its amazing. I have to say this is the most well thought out rack I have ever used. It honestly puts the major rack manufacturers to shame. Everything fit well, the finish is excellent, and the instructions were easy to follow. The rack came packaged well with no damage and everything was labeled. Money well spent!
IMG_20190912_153348.JPGIMG_20190912_160605.JPGIMG_20190912_153401.JPG

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
In other (more exciting) news, my Bowfin Cruisers roof rack arrived today and its amazing. I have to say this is the most well thought out rack I have ever used. It honestly puts the major rack manufacturers to shame. Everything fit well, the finish is excellent, and the instructions were easy to follow. The rack came packaged well with no damage and everything was labeled. Money well spent!
View attachment 117132View attachment 117134View attachment 117133
Yes, it is a first class rack and looks very nice on your rig.

UglyViking

Rank I

Enthusiast I

North East, USA
First Name
Noo
Last Name
Thanks
Love the rig man. Seriously looking into an 80 series right now. Love the look and utility. Nice to see the aftermarket coming around.