Rust on Powder Coat?

• HTML tutorial

15Canyon

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Edmonton
Member #

Hello! I have got a powder coated front bumper, and I've noticed little streaks of rust right by the welds connecting the main body and brush guard that are about 1/16" thick. It appears that these spots may have been missed in the powder coating.

Does anyone have any advice on how to stop it from proceeding further/remove it? I'd really hate for my bumper to rust apart anytime soon.

Thanks!

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

Is it thick rust to where it's raising up the powder coat? Or just surface rust?

Either way you need to remove it, it really is cancer, and it will only grow until it is removed whether it's covered or not.

Once you remove it, just get spray paint of similar color and cover it up. Unless you feel like powder coating the whole thing again

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

Vincent Keith

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Poulsbo, Washington, United States
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Binder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kg7cli
Hello! I have got a powder coated front bumper, and I've noticed little streaks of rust right by the welds connecting the main body and brush guard that are about 1/16" thick. It appears that these spots may have been missed in the powder coating.

Does anyone have any advice on how to stop it from proceeding further/remove it? I'd really hate for my bumper to rust apart anytime soon.

Thanks!
Urga s
If thick, flaking, or bubbling, start with a wire brush. Once the loose stuff is gone spray it with navel jelly (phosphoric acid) and steel wool. Go until the surface is bright, a spritz of water will keep the jelly from drying. The tiny spots will be that used to rust will be converted to iron phosphate (I think...). Wash it with soapy water and dry immediately. Next hit it with a either a primer and paint, or you can try Rust-Oleum rust reformer. I've found that it's a good match for flat black powder coating.

If you go with primer/paint be sure to follow the recommendation on re-coat times especially between primer and paint. If you wait too long the top coat may not bond to the primer very well

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

15Canyon

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Edmonton
Member #

Is it thick rust to where it's raising up the powder coat? Or just surface rust?
It's just a teensy little bit of surface rust, but I'll definitely try my best to get rid of it.

Urga s
If thick, flaking, or bubbling, start with a wire brush. Once the loose stuff is gone spray it with navel jelly (phosphoric acid) and steel wool. Go until the surface is bright, a spritz of water will keep the jelly from drying. The tiny spots will be that used to rust will be converted to iron phosphate (I think...). Wash it with soapy water and dry immediately. Next hit it with a either a primer and paint, or you can try Rust-Oleum rust reformer. I've found that it's a good match for flat black powder coating.

If you go with primer/paint be sure to follow the recommendation on re-coat times especially between primer and paint. If you wait too long the top coat may not bond to the primer very well
That's huge man thanks. And yep you're correct the phosphoric acid will react with the iron oxide to make iron phosphate and some water.

I'll definitely give that a shot Monday, and report back with the results.

Reactions: druff6991