Ruby, the 1988 Palomino Colt. Turning a boring pop up into an adventure pony... | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Ruby, the 1988 Palomino Colt. Turning a boring pop up into an adventure pony...

  • Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

Dilldog

Rank V
Member

Influencer I

2,358
Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

20298

Ham Callsign
KJ7LVO
Service Branch
USAF
Here it is kids, my wife and mine pop up trailer build. I figured this was a good spot for this as we are literally touching and improving every single part of this trailer, essentially the original Palomino Colt was a template from which we started work.
The whole thing started like most rebuild projects with the statement, lets just go through it and make sure it is good to go. Well things that needed to be replaced quickly combined with the things that we may as well do while we are here to create an avalanche, you'll see what I mean soon enough.
First things first, lets get it rolled into the shop and get it popped up...
PXL_20210307_180420392.jpg
PXL_20210307_182227487.jpg
PXL_20210307_184816070.jpg
PXL_20210313_185810279.jpg
Once hound dog inspection was complete, work began...
 

Dilldog

Rank V
Member

Influencer I

2,358
Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

20298

Ham Callsign
KJ7LVO
Service Branch
USAF
The tear down went quite quickly. My wife put her old house restoration skills to good use here...
PXL_20210313_215343254.jpg
PXL_20210313_215412239.jpg
PXL_20210314_000733021.jpg
PXL_20210321_223515955.jpg
 

Dilldog

Rank V
Member

Influencer I

2,358
Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

20298

Ham Callsign
KJ7LVO
Service Branch
USAF
Now that tear down was complete my wife began focusing on rebuilding the interior and I started focusing on the chassis. The plan here was to rebuild all of the cabinets making them stronger but also by using redwood and cedar we would make them more resilient should they ever get wet, and naturally bug resistant. Install floor insulation and install new floor.
Meanwhile I would remove the original axle and build a spring box to mount traditional leaf springs and a new 3500# axle with the biggest tires I could reasonable make fit.
PXL_20210430_005345410.jpg
PXL_20210508_005519923.jpg
20210502_141833.jpg
PXL_20210508_170743735.jpg
PXL_20210516_022107142.jpg
PXL_20210606_195443993.jpgPXL_20210601_005118820.jpg
 

Dilldog

Rank V
Member

Influencer I

2,358
Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

20298

Ham Callsign
KJ7LVO
Service Branch
USAF
We are also stretching the tongue slightly to allow the trailer to go a full 90* to the Escape which will be the tow rig and also allow for some storage on the trailer tongue. The idea here is camp latrine storage. In order to make sure it is strong enough I started boxing in the trailer frame forward of the front bulkhead. While I was doing this my wife started sewing new seat cushions, and making a decorative insert for the door.
PXL_20210606_233624116.jpg
PXL_20210616_223612203.jpg
PXL_20210615_201840289.jpg
Next up, rebuilding the roof...
 

Dilldog

Rank V
Member

Influencer I

2,358
Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

20298

Ham Callsign
KJ7LVO
Service Branch
USAF
Did a little more work, got lights wired in and the tongue extension with battery box welded up. License plat is mounted on a hinge so it can swing flat to make sure if we drag the bumper it wont get torn off.
Also my wife installed the cool art. Next step is getting the stabilizer jacks installed and the rear spare tire carrier figured out. After that I will paint the steel parts, then my wife will paint the body work and Ruby will finally look like her namesake!
20210909_163154.jpg
20210909_163142.jpg
20210909_163552.jpg