Staff member
Mod Team

Traveler III

Florida, USA
First Name
randy
Last Name
g
So I know I am going to have an awning on the truck well honestly probably 2 a 270 on the passenger side and something like an ARB 2500x2500 on the driver's side my dilemma is do I want to use a wall and floor kit for the awnings as a tent or do I want a RTT. now I live in Florida so I will probably end up with the wall kits if for nothing else than to use the screens to keep bugs away lol what is everyone using? who uses an awning and walls as a tent? pros and cons to both?

Thanks
Doc

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Doc I live in NW Florida and not sure an awning used as a tent would work out very well. Not sure how bug or snake proof you could make it, surely not as bug and snake proof as a RTT! In NW Florida the area I hunt and camp in has lots of bugs and snakes and I have a lot of piece of mind being 6.5' off the ground with bug proof windows, the ones that scare me the most are the scorpions as they seem to be everywhere on the ground!

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I’ve never used my awning as a tent but don’t see that as an ideal situation if it rains. Yes you can slope the awning to drain but that can still puddle some. Also I don’t see the walls taking the wind as well as my RTT.

Wall would probably be great until the weather got bad, or bugs and snakes like mentioned above if the area had them.

You’ll want to factor in some cots probably as well for the awning/wall plan where a RTT already includes your sleep surface.

Charles M

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wickenburg, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
M
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1CJM
I am using a 270 right now as a very large tent. It is in the teens to 20 degrees outside and maybe 55 degrees inside it. We had a fireplace going inside tonight. Even with the back section closed off right now there us enough room to seat 10 or 12 people. To give you some perspective this is mounted to a Tahoe. Weather wise it can certainly keep you dry inside. With the walls in place it us very dry. Even my home made walls are working this weekend. The only thing missing is a floor but for my use I don't care. And we have much bigger scorpions in Nevada. But scorpions are not deadly anyway. I grew up in south Florida so I know your bugs and an awning will not keep them out but neither does a regular tent. Well unless you get in it before the bugs come out... lol 20191011_154530.jpeg20191011_185323.jpeg20191011_174429.jpeg

Attachments

Doug.c.144

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Geneseo, Illinois, United States
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Gross
Member #

I am using a 270 right now as a very large tent. It is in the teens to 20 degrees outside and maybe 55 degrees inside it. We had a fireplace going inside tonight. Even with the back section closed off right now there us enough room to seat 10 or 12 people. To give you some perspective this is mounted to a Tahoe. Weather wise it can certainly keep you dry inside. With the walls in place it us very dry. Even my home made walls are working this weekend. The only thing missing is a floor but for my use I don't care. And we have much bigger scorpions in Nevada. But scorpions are not deadly anyway. I grew up in south Florida so I know your bugs and an awning will not keep them out but neither does a regular tent. Well unless you get in it before the bugs come out... lol View attachment 121705View attachment 121706View attachment 121707
This is exactly what I am looking to do. I sleep in a hammock which has it's own bug net, so I only need an awning for rain protection.

Reactions: Charles M

nakman

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Broomfield
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Nakari
Ham/GMRS Callsign
K0NAK
I've run the awning with walls and for cooking/hanging out when it's cold or windy it's really awesome. But no floor... so as has been mentioned really nothing keeping the water, bugs, or critters out. RTT is likely better on all fronts other than the downsides that come with RTT's... my experience with the floors is they are big, dirty, and a pita to deal with- I don't know of another awning other than ARB who makes a floor. But just imaging folding that up on a wet morning when it's cold and muddy, be like a small dead body, it definitely doesn't fold up with the awning (neither do the walls for that matter).

Colorado camping a little different from Florida perhaps, not as many bugs or scorpions up here just cold wind most nights, and when the snow comes we hit the desert. Awning with walls is great for staying out of the elements in the evenings, but sleeping is better up in a RTT. And it takes quite a bit of time to set it all up too, and take it down the next day, often not worth the effort depending on the group and agenda.

Threads are better with pics...

IMG_0863.jpgIMG_0890.jpgIMG_0896.jpgIMG_0934.jpgIMG_0939.jpg

Reactions: Steve in Roanoke VA

Steve in Roanoke VA

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Roanoke VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Janosko
Member #

Like the 270 awning designs that are available now. Saw a lot of them at the RTT rally. Looking to upgrade my camper shell for a little more height and flat roof for a rack, then add a 270 to cook in and hang out if weather is bad. I have a platform/drawer system in the bed that is working great for me as far as sleeping & carrying gear. If you have walls for the awning, more space is needed to store them when not in use. I am thinking walls should go in a separate waterproof bag or box on the roof so if they are wet it isn't a problem.

Reactions: ODOverland

ODOverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Madison Heights, VA, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Wouldn't something like the ARB awning room be ideal in all but really windy conditions? I had planned on using that setup as it provided me more space for 4 people.. But I am starting to really consider the the RTT with annex option. At any rate the ARB awning room has a floor and 4 walls from what I understand so that should be ideal for most situations. Would keep out ground crawlers.. but not sure how well it would do in heavy rain and wind.

nakman

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Broomfield
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Nakari
Ham/GMRS Callsign
K0NAK
The walls actually help the structure of the awning during windy conditions... I've seen them stand up to some pretty decent gusts and with the walls all pinned down the structure holds, way better than just an awning would hold up without sidewalls. The walls essentially gusset the awning in a way, and staking the walls down really helps the structure. Speaking specifically about ARB-style materials & construction.

OTOH if a hurricane is coming though, I'd worry about the awning+walls holding up, as if one wall breaks free the whole thing is going to get shredded pretty quick, and that's not something I'd want to deal with in the middle of the night. My guess is a RTT would hold up to more wind abuse than an awning with walls & floor, but don't have any first-hand experience taking either to a failure point. I generally try to put the awning away when the sun goes down, unless there's a need to keep hanging out under/inside it.

Reactions: ODOverland

Doug.c.144

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Geneseo, Illinois, United States
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Gross
Member #

I've run the awning with walls and for cooking/hanging out when it's cold or windy it's really awesome. But no floor... so as has been mentioned really nothing keeping the water, bugs, or critters out. RTT is likely better on all fronts other than the downsides that come with RTT's... my experience with the floors is they are big, dirty, and a pita to deal with- I don't know of another awning other than ARB who makes a floor. But just imaging folding that up on a wet morning when it's cold and muddy, be like a small dead body, it definitely doesn't fold up with the awning (neither do the walls for that matter).

Colorado camping a little different from Florida perhaps, not as many bugs or scorpions up here just cold wind most nights, and when the snow comes we hit the desert. Awning with walls is great for staying out of the elements in the evenings, but sleeping is better up in a RTT. And it takes quite a bit of time to set it all up too, and take it down the next day, often not worth the effort depending on the group and agenda.

Threads are better with pics...

View attachment 123291View attachment 123292View attachment 123293View attachment 123294View attachment 123295
Nakman, I'm feeling like a real noob, but I've never seen the panels against the vehicle like that. What brand are you running?

nakman

Rank 0

Off-Road Ranger I

Broomfield
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Nakari
Ham/GMRS Callsign
K0NAK
Nakman, I'm feeling like a real noob, but I've never seen the panels against the vehicle like that. What brand are you running?
These are Gamiviti brand, which is me. You can see more pictures on the site here: Awnings — Gamiviti Very similar materials to the ARB stuff, which I've run in the past also... I brought these in along with a few tents mainly to have on the trucks for branding purposes, but the awnings have kinda stuck as they work pretty good for the price point, and mate well with the racks, etc. I also sell the Rhino awnings and they are definitely better but also cost more. Rhino doesn't have a side wall though, just the angled shade thing for one of the panels... I don't know of any other full wall systems for a 270 degree.

Reactions: Steve in Roanoke VA