RTT Suggestions??

• HTML tutorial
Hey everyone,

First time post, but long time reader to the community. Hope everyone is doing good. My family and I are looking into RTTs, more specifically the Smittybilt XL, but I wasn’t sure if that was a trailer only model. The reason we are looking at that one is of course the price as a starter rooftop tent, the reviews have been pretty good, and we aren’t looking to spend half a year in it while traveling. You can say we are just getting our feet wet when it comes to RTTs.

We have a Toyota 4Runner Off Road TRD and I know we will most likely need to get a roof rack to help support the tent. We would like the tent to sleep my wife, myself, and my two kids (8&4), which is also why we like the size measurements of the Smittybilt XL. We love camping on the ground and hiking, but being able to travel, set up camp, and then roll out in the morning sounds even more fun in a RTT.

So any suggestions about rack and tent brand would be a huge help. Thanks in advance.

Oh sorry if I missed previous threads about this as well. I have been scrolling and couldn’t find one.

AnywhereInTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
C
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRDP535
I can't comment on the size measurements of the Smittybilt XL. I have the standard size one. What interested me was was price point to get into the tent compared to the other market competitors.

So far, I have been pleased with the Smittybilt RTT. I have taken it through the Mojave, Big Sur Coast, and Sierra Mountains in cold weather and I have no complaints.

I can't comment on the size measurements of the Smittybilt XL. I have the standard size one. What interested me was was price point to get into the tent compared to the other market competitors.

So far, I have been pleased with the Smittybilt RTT. I have taken it through the Mojave, Big Sur Coast, and Sierra Mountains in cold weather and I have no complaints.
Thanks I appreciate it. I was looking at the XL mostly for the size of my family, but we are also looking at other tents and sizes too. Yakima seems like a affordable choice too. What kind of rack did you get for your RTT for support?

AnywhereInTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
C
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRDP535
Thanks I appreciate it. I was looking at the XL mostly for the size of my family, but we are also looking at other tents and sizes too. Yakima seems like a affordable choice too. What kind of rack did you get for your RTT for support?
I have a bed rack build by Hot Metal Fab. It's been great, but I'm moving my tent over to a trailer once it's finished being built. I'm time, I plan to upgrade to the larger XL tent to accommodate future kids.

Reactions: CO_Deano