Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I bought my truck new and until recently didn't know about RTTs until I saw a truck with a rack and a CVT tent on top. After researching RTTs I figured before I could even think about getting one I needed a way to transport and use it. I decided to build my own rack after seeing the prices of RTT racks online. This way I could customize the way I wanted too. I wanted the ability to still open the front half of my Diamondback cover but could sacrifice opening the back half since I could still access that space through the tailgate. I learned about Superstruts on this forum shortly after joining and decided I would use those to get started on my rack. At first I wasn't sure how to mount the Superstruts to the Diamondback cover but then the green light came on one day. I was staring at the brackets that my Hi-Lift jack normally was mounted too and realized those mounts were perfect for mounting the Superstruts to the Diamondback cover. Attached are a few pictures of the progress I've made so far. It's taken me nearly 2 weeks of trial and error figuring out what worked and what didn't but I'm almost done. Will post completed pics in the next day or two minus painting of the Superstruts, I haven't decided yet what paint I'm going to use, need something that wont't rub off.
F-150 Rack Build 1.JPGF-150 Rack Build 2.JPGF-150 Rack Build 3.JPG

Last edited:

Jaytperry89

Rank VII
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Idaho Falls, ID, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Perry
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Looks like a great start, cant wait to see how it turns out. I like that your cover is covered with line x haven't seen anything like that before.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Pretty much finished now. I still have to put a couple of support L braces on front rack for more stability but for the most part it's done. I will plug the ends of the Superstruts before painting, no doubt it will look a lot better once painted black. Functionally it's perfect, allows me to put a RTT on top, still have space underneath for storage and I can still open the front half of the Diamondback cover when a RTT isn't mounted on top. I'll take another picture when I get my traction boards mounted on the side. I'm also
working on a water solution with PVC that will mount on the back half of the Diamondback cover.

RTT Rack Build 1.jpgRTT Rack Build 2.jpg

Reactions: =Jack= and JCWages

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Yep, built with Superstruts and 1/2" stainless hex & carriage bolts with nylon lock nuts! Still kept the overall cost around the $250 range. At some point I'll try and figure out my exact cost, hard to say due to my having to take back and exchange things pretty regularly in the build/design phase! Might be easier to just count all the hardware I ended up using and then go to Lowe's and price it out, I'm curious to what the exact cost was.

Reactions: JCWages

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

Yep, built with Superstruts and 1/2" stainless hex & carriage bolts with nylon lock nuts! Still kept the overall cost around the $250 range. At some point I'll try and figure out my exact cost, hard to say due to my having to take back and exchange things pretty regularly in the build/design phase! Might be easier to just count all the hardware I ended up using and then go to Lowe's and price it out, I'm curious to what the exact cost was.
Don't. Just pretend it was cheap. ;)

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Don't. Just pretend it was cheap. ;)
It was way cheaper than the ones I priced online like the RCI one on saw on a truck on my way to work, $750 for that one. I went to a guy who builds stuff with aluminum and he told me what I built for around $250 would cost at a minimum $800. I'm happy with it, love the fact I can still open the front area of my Diamondback cover which is essentially my tool box!

Reactions: =Jack=

=Jack=

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bentonville, AR, USA
Member #

Nothing wrong with finding ways to save yourself some money. As long as the end result looks good, is durable, and functions as intended, I'd say it's a win. It looks like you will be able to easily mount all kinds of useful stuff to that rack.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Nothing wrong with finding ways to save yourself some money. As long as the end result looks good, is durable, and functions as intended, I'd say it's a win. It looks like you will be able to easily mount all kinds of useful stuff to that rack.
Yep, went freshwater fishing on Sunday and my son and I already discussed how nice it would be to have the fishing poles mounted on the new rack. The nice thing about using Superstrut is it comes with 1/2" oval mounting holes, my guess before I'm all done it will have many items that will be able to mount to it depending on the activity planned! Already mounted the traction boards to it using 1/2" x 6" stainless carriage bolts and steel plating as seen below!

RTT Rack Build Traction Boards Mounted.jpg

Reactions: =Jack=

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Ok, RTT is now mounted up on the rack and went up with ease and is very stable! Before I put the RTT on the rack I made a slide for the bed of my truck since I won't be able to open the Diamondback cover with the RTT mounted up there. I'll post up pictures of that when I get a chance. Nice thing about using the Superstruts is I can still configure them by rearranging the side racks however I want. My guess is it will be a few months or more before I figure out exactly what I'll have mounted on the rack but I will have many options that's for sure!

RTT Tent on Rack.jpg

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Well just spent my first 3 nights in my Overland Vehicle Systems Nomadic 3 tent and let me just say it was super comfortable, no worse then sleep on your average bed, even better than what I would say is average! OVS did a good job with their 3" mattress, didn't feel any bumps or uncomfortable spots!

Tent on RTT Rack.jpg

Last edited:

Jaytperry89

Rank VII
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Idaho Falls, ID, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Perry
Member #

Service Branch
Army
Another thing I like about having the Diamondback cover is I can use it combined with the RTT rack to secure my Plano storage totes, 4 of the smaller ones fit perfectly across the back!

View attachment 119046
That's a pretty good setup. I like how your able 2 utilize the top of the cover and still get into the bed, and open up the tent too. It's a great build

Reactions: Viking1204

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
The 4' x 5.5' bed slide works pretty good getting things in and out. I originally made it using 12 - 1" Caster Wheels but with tools, chairs, a grill, my fridge and 70 pound battery feeding my fridge it proved to be a little too heavy. 2 or 3 of the casters have bent/broken. The rest of them are in good shape so I ordered 24 more and will end up replacing the broken ones and adding 16 new casters to provide better support for the wait and make rolling it in and out easier. I should have a few spare too in case any break in the future.

Reactions: eagle_A40