RTT Question

• HTML tutorial

TysonDavis

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Lexington, KY
Member #

I am getting ready to purchase an Autohome Maggiolina Extreme. When I talked to the sales guy he said Yakima crossbars would work well on my 16 4Runner. When I talked to the James Baroud salesperson he said I needed an aftermarket system because the one that comes on my vehicle won't hold the load. Anyone have any experience or thoughts?

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

So I did a quick look up. It appears the RTT in the medium size weight is 152 pounds. According to this Toyota Brouche the cross bars weight limit is 132 pounds. Not sure about the main bars, but they likely hold more weight. Also the cross bars are thumb screw secured, which is a good way to lose any heavy or wind resistant load. You will need to dig further. http://www.toyota.com/content/ebrochure/2016/4runner_accessories_ebrochure.pdf

Reactions: TysonDavis

TysonDavis

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Lexington, KY
Member #

So I did a quick look up. It appears the RTT in the medium size weight is 152 pounds. According to this Toyota Brouche the cross bars weight limit is 132 pounds. Not sure about the main bars, but they likely hold more weight. Also the cross bars are thumb screw secured, which is a good way to lose any heavy or wind resistant load. You will need to dig further. http://www.toyota.com/content/ebrochure/2016/4runner_accessories_ebrochure.pdf

Sorry I should have been more clear. I have the factory roof rack with Yakima crossbars. Thanks for the reply.

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

So I called Frontrunner where I got my RTT. Turns out there is not a simple answer to this. A lot depends on the type of factory rack you have. If you have the side rail type and not the race type you are in better shape. I was told 150 -200 pounds as long as the cross bars use a wrap around system to attached to the side rails. That also depends on how hard you off road, and knowing that you need to check the bolting system and clamping system prior to going and after going off road. At this weight you still need to check it constantly to be sure it is tight. I have 83 pounds with my Frontrunner RTT and check weekly using factory side rails and Yakima cross bars. When the tent is pitched and stationary you can add an additional 200 plus pounds, but it sound like you are getting right to the max with the medium sized tent up there. I would look into a fully supported rack system or a different type of RTT.

TysonDavis

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Lexington, KY
Member #

So I called Frontrunner where I got my RTT. Turns out there is not a simple answer to this. A lot depends on the type of factory rack you have. If you have the side rail type and not the race type you are in better shape. I was told 150 -200 pounds as long as the cross bars use a wrap around system to attached to the side rails. That also depends on how hard you off road, and knowing that you need to check the bolting system and clamping system prior to going and after going off road. At this weight you still need to check it constantly to be sure it is tight. I have 83 pounds with my Frontrunner RTT and check weekly using factory side rails and Yakima cross bars. When the tent is pitched and stationary you can add an additional 200 plus pounds, but it sound like you are getting right to the max with the medium sized tent up there. I would look into a fully supported rack system or a different type of RTT.
Dude, thanks. I didn't expect you to do research for me. I really appreciate that. Now to search for a roof rack...

300WMTUCK

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Roseville
Member #

T
Impressive effort to assist a fellow forum member. Well done Gary.