Contributor II

Medicine Hat, AB, Canada
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
C
Member #

Hi all.

Just curious to know if anyone has any pictures or ideas of a roof top tent on a canopy. I have just put a canopy on my truck. I drive a Ram 1500 short box. I used to have my roof top tent on a rack I built to keep it out of the wind, below the cab.

I'm now trying to figure out how to keep the tent inside the canopy and then be easily installed on the top. I don't think I've seen this before as I did a lot of research when I did the rack. I've got an idea for a full slide inside to store the tent inside the canopy and then be easily installed on the roof.

I'm fairly certain I'll need to reinforce the canopy roof from inside. Does anyone have any pictures of what they have? I'm assuming I'll need some reinforcement bars from the truck box rails or from the floor of the box itself. I'm just not sure where to attach these. Any ideas and pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: expeditionnorth

mmnorthdirections

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Off-Road Ranger I

Dixon Ca
First Name
mason
Last Name
north
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6EUR
Hi all.

Just curious to know if anyone has any pictures or ideas of a roof top tent on a canopy. I have just put a canopy on my truck. I drive a Ram 1500 short box. I used to have my roof top tent on a rack I built to keep it out of the wind, below the cab.

I'm now trying to figure out how to keep the tent inside the canopy and then be easily installed on the top. I don't think I've seen this before as I did a lot of research when I did the rack. I've got an idea for a full slide inside to store the tent inside the canopy and then be easily installed on the roof.

I'm fairly certain I'll need to reinforce the canopy roof from inside. Does anyone have any pictures of what they have? I'm assuming I'll need some reinforcement bars from the truck box rails or from the floor of the box itself. I'm just not sure where to attach these. Any ideas and pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Tyler that's BAD ASS!!! you should make them and sell them. Add some bars that saddle the canopy bars and use locking push pins, like the bar you put up on the right. Very well done!!!!

TylerC

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Medicine Hat, AB, Canada
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
C
Member #

Everything gets locked very firmly into place on that thing. I used it a ton this past summer, but it is not without it's cons. I had to unload the box of the truck to set up and tear down. Also, tents are not waterproof upside down. I found that out the hard way! That's why I've gone with the canopy. I'm going to be dismantling(grinding) the flip rack to work inside the canopy for support. Just not sure where to start.

Reactions: expeditionnorth