Enthusiast III

Collinsville, Illinois, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
W
Member #

Hello all,

I am looking into getting my first RTT and am looking for suggestions, thoughts and opinions. The one thing that is a must is an annex, specifically an annex that has the ladder inside. Build quality and mattress support are runners up. Also being able to store bedding and such while closed up is a nice feature. I am trying to keep under $2000 as we don't get a ton of times a year. Current tents I've been looking at are:

Smittybilt XL
TuffStuff Ranger
ARB Simpson III
Tepui Explorer Autana 3
CVT Mt. Shasta

Currently I am leaning towards the ARB as it seems like a nice middle ground and I believe is the heaviest material.
Generally speaking these all are relatively similar. If there are others I missed please let me know.
Thanks for the help.

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFC851
Its crazy there are so many options and they all look the same except for the colors and the logos!

Reactions: TacoDia

Sylvester

Rank V
Investor

Influencer II

Nevada
First Name
Timothy
Last Name
Leto II
Member #

I vote for the Tuff Stuff Ranger, Easy to set-up and Take down, Came with the annex Included, Holds up in 40 mph Winds and sleeps comfortably at 26 degrees, Holds two adult and 2 Mini schnauzers . All for under 1,200.00

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I have the ARB Simpson III but no direct experience with any other RTT. The tent I purchased was well used by the previous owner with a hand full of trips down Baja and it is still in good condition. While it is advertised as a 3 person tent, in true tent fashion it is comfortable for 2 adults.

Pro -
  • Quick and easy to set up. Takes 2x as long to break down.
  • ARB supplies parts for the tent at reasonable prices. My used tent did not come with a rain fly so I ordered one from ARB. It was only $45 shipped to me.
  • You can store about 2" of compressed material in the tent in addition to the original mattress.
  • I have a 3" mattress topper (Full XL) in the tent. While it occupies valuable space for sleeping bag storage, the Full XJ topper does leave about 10" of room at the end to store pillows or other small gear.
  • The cover seals up the tent very well. I have not had any issue with water or dust intrusion. The zipper on the cover is quality operates pretty well.
  • The material for the tent body is thick and sturdy. It is not drafty when windy with the window flaps fastened down.

Con -
  • ARB uses a lot of velcro straps that stop being effective after some use. I've replaced or modified these worn out velcro strip with buckles.
  • The ladder is narrow. Finding that first step at 3am for a nature call might cause you to relieve yourself before you get to the ground.
  • The annex room is stored in a huge bag and takes up quite a bit of cargo space. I've never used it on the trail. I suspect this is true for all of the annex rooms on the market.
  • Without a breeze in the summer the tent will be warm.
  • Rainfly material is thin and noisy in high wind without extra guy lines.
  • The mattress is terrible. I think this is pretty standard across all RTT's.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I have a Tuff Stuff Ranger and have been generally pleased with the quality and ease of use. The Pros and Cons mentioned previously sound pretty accurate. I have the vestibule that I have not ever deployed since it's just me usually and usually only stay one night in a spot. It's a bit heavy and repacking the tent and other gear is enough work for me but I am not as spry as I once was. I sleep great on the mattress with an old cotton sleeping bag unfolded and a a down bag on top of me. That and a pillow fold up nicely inside. Hot weather is always problematic and I haven't done much of that. Ther are some good battery powered fans available. I may end up putting it on a trailer. If I can swing it sometime in the future I would like a slide in pop up style with some a/c for the hot weather. But that is about 10X the cost of an RTT.

TacoDia

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Matt
Last Name
W
Member #

Thanks for the input, always nice to hear the pros and cons from owners. Currently leaning towards the CVT or ARB, I know the annex rooms will take up extra storage space but the majority of camping we do is 2+ nights so I don't mind the extra set up time and space they use. As far as the mattress goes I'm sure some modifications will be in order, at least for the wifey... I could sleep on granite if I had to. We do a trip or 2 in the summer when its a bit hot but those portable worksite fans work wonders. The fist summer trip we did together in Mark Twain was brutal. We did have some battery powered fans but the output of those just don't match up. Still looking at reviews, videos, forums and everything between. This will likely be an early spring purchase, unless someone has a mad deal for the holidays. Keeps the opinions coming if you have any and thanks again.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I have an Overland Vehicle Systems 3 person tent and so far it has been great, just one more to look at LOL!

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
Thanks for the input, always nice to hear the pros and cons from owners. Currently leaning towards the CVT or ARB, I know the annex rooms will take up extra storage space but the majority of camping we do is 2+ nights so I don't mind the extra set up time and space they use. As far as the mattress goes I'm sure some modifications will be in order, at least for the wifey... I could sleep on granite if I had to. We do a trip or 2 in the summer when its a bit hot but those portable worksite fans work wonders. The fist summer trip we did together in Mark Twain was brutal. We did have some battery powered fans but the output of those just don't match up. Still looking at reviews, videos, forums and everything between. This will likely be an early spring purchase, unless someone has a mad deal for the holidays. Keeps the opinions coming if you have any and thanks again.

If you haven't already bought an RTT, Tuff Stuff has all of their RTTs on sale, right now. The Tuff Stuff Sierra (their new hardshell RTT) is sold out, right now, but they will have more in stock in mid-March. It doesn't show to be on sale, but if you enter the code: TBO19 at the checkout, you will get 15 percent off the listed price.

TacoDia

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Matt
Last Name
W
Member #

I recently bought a used ARB and will be testing it out briefly on our MOORE trip. It had only been used for a 1 week trip and was priced well. I appreciate all the input, more is always welcome for especially for others that may be looking at this thread. Plus other cool tips, tricks, pros and cons comparisons. Good looking out @Itacal with the discount code.

Reactions: KonzaLander