RTT and canoe?

• HTML tutorial

Corvus

Rank 0

Traveler I

Raleigh
I did a preliminary search to see if anyone has done it, but didn't find much. I have a Tepui Kukenam Ruggedized that will be going on my 4th gen 4runner with a Prinsu rack. Will also be looking at a 17' Grumman this weekend. Wondering if there are any ideas circulating on how to get it all to jive on the rack.

I have some ideas, but any pictures or advice would be appreciated!

CCHeath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Kalispell, MT, Kalispell, MT, USA
First Name
Clinton
Last Name
Heath
Member #

I don't think it would be safe to mount a RTT on a canoe it might tip over. JK
As for strapping a canoe on an RTT I cannot help you but I am sure some one will.

Reactions: Corvus

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

I’ve strapped lumber on top of my RTT that’s mounted on my prinsu rack. It was fine. Didn’t go on the highway but it was stable enough.

Don’t know that I’d do it as a permanent setup but I think a canoe strapped on top of an RTT for a weekend would be fine. I’d just be careful about compressing the ladder against the tent too much.

Ditcherman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sheridan, IN, USA
Member #

The first thing I did when I got my tent mounted (Tepui Autana) was slide my canoe up on it. Didn't go anywhere, just slid it up on it. It really marked up the cover at the back edge, I was worried I had ruined the cover. So learn from my mistake and put something down. If I were to do it, I would make sure to strap lumber or something (maybe foam covered) down tightly to the tent so that it can not move at all, then strap the canoe down. a little bit of vibration for a ride could do a lot of damage. The ladder orientation would make a difference as well, it'll need to be spaced up if your tent opens to the side.
I do, however, have the t shirt with the overloaded generic overland vehicle with the RTT and canoe on it, thats probably as far as I will go now.

Corvus

Rank 0

Traveler I

Raleigh
The first thing I did when I got my tent mounted (Tepui Autana) was slide my canoe up on it. Didn't go anywhere, just slid it up on it. It really marked up the cover at the back edge, I was worried I had ruined the cover. So learn from my mistake and put something down. If I were to do it, I would make sure to strap lumber or something (maybe foam covered) down tightly to the tent so that it can not move at all, then strap the canoe down. a little bit of vibration for a ride could do a lot of damage. The ladder orientation would make a difference as well, it'll need to be spaced up if your tent opens to the side.
I do, however, have the t shirt with the overloaded generic overland vehicle with the RTT and canoe on it, thats probably as far as I will go now.
Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I was going to look at either a better system for quick detaching/attaching the ladder, or mounting the canoe over the tent at an angle. It will be folding out to the side of the vehicle. I did see an offset Thule mount while driving on the highway yesterday that gave me some ideas though. May be able to rig something up to keep it to the opposite side of where the tent folds out. It isn't a small thing though hah.

Attachments

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I was going to look at either a better system for quick detaching/attaching the ladder, or mounting the canoe over the tent at an angle. It will be folding out to the side of the vehicle. I did see an offset Thule mount while driving on the highway yesterday that gave me some ideas though. May be able to rig something up to keep it to the opposite side of where the tent folds out. It isn't a small thing though hah.
That’s a big canoe. I don’t think I’d put that on top of a RTT. That’s a lot of weight to be putting on top of something that was not designed to be weight bearing.

I saw a post on t4r where someone had extra wide Thule bars mounted on their 4runner, with the angled style canoe/kayak mounts on either side of the RTT, and the RTT mounted in the center. Seemed like it would work, not sure if it would work for a canoe of that size or length though.

Have you considered moving the RTT to the center of the rack, and then doing some type of raised support bar on top of the front and rear crossbars? Then having the canoe mounted on those, so it’s suspended just above the RTT, and those extra crossbars are supporting the weight instead of the tent?

Corvus

Rank 0

Traveler I

Raleigh
That’s a big canoe. I don’t think I’d put that on top of a RTT. That’s a lot of weight to be putting on top of something that was not designed to be weight bearing.

I saw a post on t4r where someone had extra wide Thule bars mounted on their 4runner, with the angled style canoe/kayak mounts on either side of the RTT, and the RTT mounted in the center. Seemed like it would work, not sure if it would work for a canoe of that size or length though.

Have you considered moving the RTT to the center of the rack, and then doing some type of raised support bar on top of the front and rear crossbars? Then having the canoe mounted on those, so it’s suspended just above the RTT, and those extra crossbars are supporting the weight instead of the tent?
Yep, second option. I didn't specify, I didn't mean actually resting on the tent, I meant being suspended, but directly above it. Yeah its probably a good 80/85lbs. Was either figuring a support that could raise it slightly above forward and rear, or I'm liking the thought of the offset mount keeping it at a 45deg angle to the side. I measured and have 2 extra feet of rack to play with once the tent is up there. Should get the extra cross bars to mount the tent up next week or so and then try to play with some options

CCHeath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Clinton
Last Name
Heath
Member #

Yep, second option. I didn't specify, I didn't mean actually resting on the tent, I meant being suspended, but directly above it. Yeah its probably a good 80/85lbs. Was either figuring a support that could raise it slightly above forward and rear, or I'm liking the thought of the offset mount keeping it at a 45deg angle to the side. I measured and have 2 extra feet of rack to play with once the tent is up there. Should get the extra cross bars to mount the tent up next week or so and then try to play with some options
Will you be traveling alone or with people? I remember a while ago there was a single person rtt that took up half of the hood so on the other side you could put kayaks, or canoes. Sorry I forgot the brand, does anyone know?

CCHeath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Clinton
Last Name
Heath
Member #

Ok I did some research the tent is called the Overcamp and there is also the Overland by Auto-Home though it looks like they are only sold overseas. Could you build a sleeping platform in your vehicle?

Corvus

Rank 0

Traveler I

Raleigh
Oh that looks cool, but no I'll be traveling with someone and already have my Tepui Kukenam Ruggedized 3 person. It isn't small. It's the same width as the rack and will leave 2ft of open length depending on where it is installed

CCHeath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Clinton
Last Name
Heath
Member #

Oh that looks cool, but no I'll be traveling with someone and already have my Tepui Kukenam Ruggedized 3 person. It isn't small. It's the same width as the rack and will leave 2ft of open length depending on where it is installed
So you are asking about mounting the canoe on an existing rtt.

Ditcherman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sheridan, IN, USA
Member #

If you have two feet at either end, I would build an attachment to the rack to hold the canoe just above the tent. Two feet either end and the whole width of rack is enough area to get plenty of triangulation and strength, assuming the rack and bars are rated to hold 40lbs at each end with highway speeds and bumps in mind.
On a side note, I’ve always wondered what the aerodynamics of an upside down canoe look like on top of a car, with all the wind coming up the windshield. Looks disastrous to me but seen some pretty sketchy stuff holding canoes down.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I guess I’m curious about thi whole “the floor of a RTT isn’t load bearing” considering it bears the load of me sleeping on it and I weigh considerably more than a canoe. An additional consideration is the OPs tent is a ruggedized version with a diamond plate floor. If this was me, I would consider using two fairly large pieces of foam rubber, tall enough to hold the canoe above the RTT ladder (when stored) and large enough to distribute the weight of the canoe and protect the RTT cover. Just a thought.

Corvus

Rank 0

Traveler I

Raleigh
If you have two feet at either end, I would build an attachment to the rack to hold the canoe just above the tent. Two feet either end and the whole width of rack is enough area to get plenty of triangulation and strength, assuming the rack and bars are rated to hold 40lbs at each end with highway speeds and bumps in mind.
On a side note, I’ve always wondered what the aerodynamics of an upside down canoe look like on top of a car, with all the wind coming up the windshield. Looks disastrous to me but seen some pretty sketchy stuff holding canoes down.
Yeah, that's what I'm currently considering. Or even making some kind of big fridge slider that just has two rails that can hinge onto the four "beams" that would come up from the front and back of the rack. I'm also think about aerodynamics which is why I was curious to hear different mounting strategies. I was hesitant to have the canoe right above the big wedge air dam of the rack hah. I could hear the dirt and stuff in the canoe get blasted towards the rear as I picked up speed. It never seemed to wander around too far or affect the stability of the truck though. So I'm guessing even if it was up a bit higher with the tent underneath, the air would pass through/under pretty okay.

I guess I’m curious about thi whole “the floor of a RTT isn’t load bearing” considering it bears the load of me sleeping on it and I weigh considerably more than a canoe. An additional consideration is the OPs tent is a ruggedized version with a diamond plate floor. If this was me, I would consider using two fairly large pieces of foam rubber, tall enough to hold the canoe above the RTT ladder (when stored) and large enough to distribute the weight of the canoe and protect the RTT cover. Just a thought.
While that is true the floor holds lots of weight, especially on the Ruggedized like I have, I don't want to rip up the weather cover and also don't want to place undue stress on the hinge of the tent. Since all the bedding and mattress stays done when you fold it up, it still makes a pretty tall profile. And the ladder is on top of that and adds a few inches. I'm not very impressed with the mounts and hardware for the tent to the base. I wouldn't mind researching better hardware options for the ladder itself and maybe even designing a way to detach it easily. If the ladder wasn't on it and I could have some kind of rail section right on top of the packed tent (like some hard tents do), I'd consider having it directly on it.

Reactions: Ditcherman

Ditcherman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sheridan, IN, USA
Member #

Yeah, that's what I'm currently considering. Or even making some kind of big fridge slider that just has two rails that can hinge onto the four "beams" that would come up from the front and back of the rack. I'm also think about aerodynamics which is why I was curious to hear different mounting strategies. I was hesitant to have the canoe right above the big wedge air dam of the rack hah. I could hear the dirt and stuff in the canoe get blasted towards the rear as I picked up speed. It never seemed to wander around too far or affect the stability of the truck though. So I'm guessing even if it was up a bit higher with the tent underneath, the air would pass through/under pretty okay.

While that is true the floor holds lots of weight, especially on the Ruggedized like I have, I don't want to rip up the weather cover and also don't want to place undue stress on the hinge of the tent. Since all the bedding and mattress stays done when you fold it up, it still makes a pretty tall profile. And the ladder is on top of that and adds a few inches. I'm not very impressed with the mounts and hardware for the tent to the base. I wouldn't mind researching better hardware options for the ladder itself and maybe even designing a way to detach it easily. If the ladder wasn't on it and I could have some kind of rail section right on top of the packed tent (like some hard tents do), I'd consider having it directly on it.
I think you could consider taking the ladder on and off, it’s just two little bolts, what’s supplied are locking nuts but they certainly wouldn’t have to be, could just be a quick attach pin. I wouldn’t be afraid to strap the canoe to the tent as long as it didn’t rub the cover.
You hit on a huge point of concern for me when you mentioned the tent to rack mounting hardware. I dumped that out of the bag and laughed. No way. Those were some really tiny bolts. I welded plates in the four corners of my rack and drilled through the tent floor, used 3/8 grade 8 bolts and fender washers, extra benefit was it brought it down at least another inch and a half of wasted space and I didn’t have to use those bars.

Corvus

Rank 0

Traveler I

Raleigh
Yeah, true. I just am not a fan of the welded mount plates for the ladder either. But, alas, I haven't even used it yet. I'm just a stickler for details and like over-engineering things. True enough, it wouldn't be an issue as long as it doesn't rub that cover raw. I'm actually liking that it would protect the majority of the tent from the sun. Why these RTT companies choose black for a heavy PVC cover is beyond me. Can only imagine how hot that will get.

I laughed at the rails and hardware as well. I was on the fence, but after seeing them, I ordered two additional Prinsu T-Slot rails that will fit in the slats inbetween the existing rails. I plan on going with beefier hardware as well and just leaving the rails attached and screwing it on and off from the sides of the rail mounts.

Ditcherman

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sheridan, IN, USA
Member #

Yeah, true. I just am not a fan of the welded mount plates for the ladder either. But, alas, I haven't even used it yet. I'm just a stickler for details and like over-engineering things. True enough, it wouldn't be an issue as long as it doesn't rub that cover raw. I'm actually liking that it would protect the majority of the tent from the sun. Why these RTT companies choose black for a heavy PVC cover is beyond me. Can only imagine how hot that will get.

I laughed at the rails and hardware as well. I was on the fence, but after seeing them, I ordered two additional Prinsu T-Slot rails that will fit in the slats inbetween the existing rails. I plan on going with beefier hardware as well and just leaving the rails attached and screwing it on and off from the sides of the rail mounts.
Haha, I’m a farmer so I don’t necessarily over engineer anything but I definitely over build it.
My cover is grey, black would be hot.
I found my cover to be very stiff to begin with, probably opened and closed 50 times and may still be getting easier. First actual night out in wilderness dropped to 20 degrees so packing up was tough. Just keep that fabric from catching inside.
Good solution on the mounting rails!
I think you’ll find the ladder to be fine, it only bears weight straight down more or less and is static under load.
Long way from canoes, sorry for the threadjack.

Corvus

Rank 0

Traveler I

Raleigh
Haha, I’m a farmer so I don’t necessarily over engineer anything but I definitely over build it.
My cover is grey, black would be hot.
I found my cover to be very stiff to begin with, probably opened and closed 50 times and may still be getting easier. First actual night out in wilderness dropped to 20 degrees so packing up was tough. Just keep that fabric from catching inside.
Good solution on the mounting rails!
I think you’ll find the ladder to be fine, it only bears weight straight down more or less and is static under load.
Long way from canoes, sorry for the threadjack.
Hah gotcha, yeah mine is heavy and black. I'm sure it will soften up after one day in this NC heat. Yeah, I like the Prinsu rack, it's how I would've designed something. Really well built and modular. Definitely not threadjacking, the design of the tent and rail are pretty integral with how I'm thinking of mounting the canoe as well. :sunglasses:

Reactions: Ditcherman