Rotopax water packs safe for drinking water?

• HTML tutorial

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

Hey all,
I just got a single 2-gal Rotopax water container to replace a clunky, 4-gal container I stow in the cargo area of my truck. Anyway, though the Rotopax site says these are made from food-grade materials, there definitely is a funky, plastic smell which makes me question the safe storage of drinking water in these containers. I'm in the process of cleaning them out hoping to get rid of the smell. I haven't even bothered to taste the water yet. Wondering if most out there actually carry drinking water in these containers or is it mostly for cleaning purposes, and why? Recommendations for a thorough cleaning? Thanks in advance!

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
MY experience is that most all plastic containers come with a funky plastic smell. Even my Nalgene bottles have it.

Clean them with some soapy water. Rinse them a bunch of times, as many as it takes to no longer have soap bubbles in the rinse water, and then once or twice more. Then fill them with municipal tap water and store them for a few weeks (where it won't freeze, if freezing might happen in your locale). Give them some time with the municipal tap water and they will eventually trade their funky plastic smell for the funky chlorine smell of municipal tap water.

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

Then fill them with municipal tap water and store them for a few weeks (where it won't freeze, if freezing might happen in your locale). Give them some time with the municipal tap water and they will eventually trade their funky plastic smell for the funky chlorine smell of municipal tap water.
I've only had the container for a few days, but I've filled (tap water) and changed the water daily. It's filled and mounted to my roof so the slouching around while driving should do some good :) I think I may take the suggestion about using soapy water (the Earth-friendly, camping type) for a more thorough cleaning. Maybe even throw in a bit of bleach, though I go want to go too germaphobic. Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: Scout and OnlyTaco

JoeyLuck

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fallbrook, CA, USA
First Name
Joey
Last Name
Luck
Member #

I've have the drinking containers and have had them for about a year and use them pretty often and I'm still some what normal, so I'd say you're all good!! When I fill up and go out, I usually put a few drops of iodine in them ( 3-6 drops per liter) , especially with tap water and as far as cleaning, I fill them with hot water and a little bleach and rise them really well once I'm back home.

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

I would not worry about it, I had two water containers of theirs and drank water out of them for like a week every day on a road trip until they were all stolen including 2 gas containers as well. ALL FULL! Rotopax thieves roaming in Bellevue, Washington guys jajaja
That sux! I wonder if I Sharpie my containers with a "if found (or stolen), return to ________" message, would that deter anyone? Can I ask if you had the locking mount on them when they were stolen?

KAWR_4x4

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

New York City
Member #

That sux! I wonder if I Sharpie my containers with a "if found (or stolen), return to ________" message, would that deter anyone? Can I ask if you had the locking mount on them when they were stolen?
I don't think that would stop these thieves!!! ajajaaj. No I did not have the locking mounts but I did have the spare tire mount which alone weights like 30 pounds, and I had all 4 containers filled so like 8 gallons of liquid. They just took the whole mount with containers attached.

Explore1

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Goodyear, AZ, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Woods
Member #

Does the water taste like plastic with Rotopax? I know they are safe for drinking but I’m more concerned about the taste. I have a couple plastic bottles currently and the water is bad enough I can taste it in my coffee. Any thoughts on the taste would be appreciated.

Scout

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Jamestown,NY
Member #

When I 1st got mine, I washed it with HOT soapy water and scrubbed it with a bottle cleaner that fit in the neck. After that I mixed 1:1 with bleach and water and let it sit for a couple days..drained it and rinsed it out 4-5 times and have used for drinking ever since.. My garden hose is more plastic smelling/tasting and thats 10 years old.. Either way, I'm still here to tell about it.

Reactions: Explore1

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Hey all,
I just got a single 2-gal Rotopax water container to replace a clunky, 4-gal container I stow in the cargo area of my truck. Anyway, though the Rotopax site says these are made from food-grade materials, there definitely is a funky, plastic smell which makes me question the safe storage of drinking water in these containers. I'm in the process of cleaning them out hoping to get rid of the smell. I haven't even bothered to taste the water yet. Wondering if most out there actually carry drinking water in these containers or is it mostly for cleaning purposes, and why? Recommendations for a thorough cleaning? Thanks in advance!
Baking soda should eliminate smell. What smells dosent always affect water taste for some reason. I clean and sanitize my containers with a few drops of chlorine in my 5 gallon containers when new. I leave it for 24 hours, then dump and refill with fresh water. Water should not spoil if sealed.

Reactions: Downs

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
When I 1st got mine, I washed it with HOT soapy water and scrubbed it with a bottle cleaner that fit in the neck. After that I mixed 1:1 with bleach and water and let it sit for a couple days..drained it and rinsed it out 4-5 times and have used for drinking ever since.. My garden hose is more plastic smelling/tasting and thats 10 years old.. Either way, I'm still here to tell about it.
Just rinse out and then fill with a cap full of bleach and let sit for a day. Drain and it will be ready to go. It might have a slight chlorine taste but that reminds me of the shore so good memories there.
The recommended Bleach solution for potable water is 1 tablespoon per gallon of water... anytime you get a new to you water container fill with the bleach solution half full and shake the container vigorously for several seconds (30 is more than enough), then fill the rest of the way with more water. Leave the container outside in the sun for a day or so. The bleach and UV will kill any bacteria living in the container. Rinse well.

Store water containers with the lids pointed down and slightly unscrewed to help facilitate draining and keep stuff from crawling inside you containers.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
The recommended Bleach solution for potable water is 1 tablespoon per gallon of water
That's way too much bleach unless you are trying to shock the container. 1/8 TEAspoon would be more like it if the water isn't cloudy. If you are getting your water from a municipal supply and they chlorinate it then you may not even need to chlorinate it yourself for storage. It's not safe to drink at levels over 4ppm.

When prepping my 55 gal water storage drums I use 2 cups of bleach to shock the container then after rinsing it out I use about 1/2 ounce of bleach for storage.

On my larger 250 gallon IBC containers I use 2 quarts of bleach to shock then about 3oz to treat for storage.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
That's way too much bleach unless you are trying to shock the container. 1/8 TEAspoon would be more like it if the water isn't cloudy. If you are getting your water from a municipal supply and they chlorinate it then you may not even need to chlorinate it yourself for storage. It's not safe to drink at levels over 4ppm.

When prepping my 55 gal water storage drums I use 2 cups of bleach to shock the container then after rinsing it out I use about 1/2 ounce of bleach for storage.

On my larger 250 gallon IBC containers I use 2 quarts of bleach to shock then about 3oz to treat for storage.

No that’s for cleaning a potable water container, not to purify the water...