Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I personally like the Sceptre tanks. They are Jerry can style, but all heavy-duty plastic. The fuel cans are hard to get in the US but several folks will sell them from Canada. They are pretty much indestructible.

There is a tactical shop in Vancouver, BC that sells them but I cannot remember the name.
DS Tactical
744 12th St, New Westminster, BC V3M = Vancouver

Reactions: Ubiety

White Knight Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North York, Toronto, ON, Canada
First Name
Stephen
Last Name
Phillips
Member #

I’ve been using a good old red jerry can for a few year but they offly stinky when they are in the truck. Unfortunately I’ve got no way to mount them on the outside of my LandRover Lr3. I actually heard not long ago the in Canada fuel is no to be stored on the outside of your vehicle. So I’m looking for another not so smelly solution.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I actually heard not long ago the in Canada fuel is no to be stored on the outside of your vehicle.
They must have been talking with the US lawmakers who mandated the fuel can "safety spouts" that ensures your fuel ends up on the ground and not in the tank. ;)

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I’ve been using a good old red jerry can for a few year but they offly stinky when they are in the truck. Unfortunately I’ve got no way to mount them on the outside of my LandRover Lr3. I actually heard not long ago the in Canada fuel is no to be stored on the outside of your vehicle. So I’m looking for another not so smelly solution.
It seems hard to imagine they would want it inside the vehicle. While I can see that rear-ending a Jerry can is going to be bad for everyone involved - inside the cab would be worse. I bought some RotoPax because my Mom will often carry them inside & I had more faith in that than her method of 2g plastic jugs in trash bags inside a kitty litter square plastic container- like the typical 5g jug but square. It did eliminate the smell. Once my spare us in the back, I plan in putting a rotopax or 2 with an aluminum shield up where my OEM spare went. They make specific containers for this but they’re crazy expensive. Offroading | Trailedonline | United States

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
It seems hard to imagine they would want it inside the vehicle. While I can see that rear-ending a Jerry can is going to be bad for everyone involved - inside the cab would be worse. I bought some RotoPax because my Mom will often carry them inside & I had more faith in that than her method of 2g plastic jugs in trash bags inside a kitty litter square plastic container- like the typical 5g jug but square. It did eliminate the smell. Once my spare us in the back, I plan in putting a rotopax or 2 with an aluminum shield up where my OEM spare went. They make specific containers for this but they’re crazy expensive. Offroading | Trailedonline | United States
That's a cool solution!

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

That's a cool solution!
It seems to me it should be equivalently priced to a RotoPax - which is already expensive enough. I’m pretty sure I can replicate the concept by simply dropping my OEM spare chain & threading it through the center of a RotoPax. I'm probably going to fashion an aluminum plate to go below - though that’s probably unnecessary. I‘ll have a Jerry carrier on the rear but I’ll use that for water. Probably my desert training, but I always carry extra water - I find I give water to others on the trail about every 3rd trip. I’ve now made it a practice to offer to top off ADV riders as their ability to carry extra is limited. I’ve carried extra fuel all over the SW, West & Canada but I’ve yet to actually need it in 30 years. I find if I just top off at my last chance, I always have enough - even for multi-day trips like The White Rim, The Maze & Big Bend. Consequently, I don’t mind if my extra fuel is a little hard to get at.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
It seems to me it should be equivalently priced to a RotoPax - which is already expensive enough. I’m pretty sure I can replicate the concept by simply dropping my OEM spare chain & threading it through the center of a RotoPax. I'm probably going to fashion an aluminum plate to go below - though that’s probably unnecessary. I‘ll have a Jerry carrier on the rear but I’ll use that for water. Probably my desert training, but I always carry extra water - I find I give water to others on the trail about every 3rd trip. I’ve now made it a practice to offer to top off ADV riders as their ability to carry extra is limited. I’ve carried extra fuel all over the SW, West & Canada but I’ve yet to actually need it in 30 years. I find if I just top off at my last chance, I always have enough - even for multi-day trips like The White Rim, The Maze & Big Bend. Consequently, I don’t mind if my extra fuel is a little hard to get at.
Yea their one container is like $175. But putting a gas container solution in the spare tire area is a good idea for me. I recently relocated my spare tire to my spare tire hitch carrier so I have a nice empty space down there...You're awesome for provide water and gas to those that need it!

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

Here's the Rotopax mount that I built off of my spare tire carrier along with a shovel mount to clear a 35" tire. About $25 worth of material and an afternoon's work.

KIMG0049 (2).JPGKIMG0052.JPGKIMG0053.JPGKIMG0158 (2).JPGthat I built off of my spare tire carrier along with a shovel mount. About $25 worth of material and an afternoon's work.KIMG0157 (2).JPG that I built off of my spare tire carrier along with a shovel mount. About $25 worth of material and an afternoon's work.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Here's the Rotopax mount that I built off of my spare tire carrier along with a shovel mount to clear a 35" tire. About $25 worth of material and an afternoon's work.

View attachment 146465View attachment 146469View attachment 146470View attachment 146471that I built off of my spare tire carrier along with a shovel mount. About $25 worth of material and an afternoon's work.View attachment 146472 that I built off of my spare tire carrier along with a shovel mount. About $25 worth of material and an afternoon's work.
You've got skills, looking good!

Reactions: Tatankaroo

Heartland Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gretna, NE, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Talley
Member #

Not sure if it has been mentioned or what vehicle you are in. But I run a Titan Fuel Tank on the spare tire for my JKU. A good way to carry fuel and utilizes the space between the spare tire and the tail gate.

GMoney

Rank I

Enthusiast I

SoCal
I can also speak to the quality of Scepter MFC. Top notch product (and the water can too) but I do recommend the wrench to open/close these. Without the wrench I have found that I did not tighten enough and would leak if laying on the side. They have an ingenious internal breather thing too that lets the MFC breath when you are filling the truck.

Ian_Hgn

Rank 0

Contributor I

Milwaukee, WI, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Hagen
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9NBT
I bought 3 Euro-style jerry cans from Major Surplus about a week or two before the country shut down. Came with 3 nozzles too. Great price. So far they seem like great cans. Need to find a mounting solution for my Tacoma though.

jerry can.jpg

Reactions: TexasGMG

JBurg540

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Michigan, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Burgard
Member #

I use the 20L Wavian NATO spec'd Jerry Cans mounted in their metal frame holders. Very robust fuel cans and they seal perfectly. The plastic military Scepter cans are harder to find and more expensive. To me Rotopax are overpriced and too many people have issues with leaks (just read the Amazon reviews).

This website had the best prices (before COVID-19 freakout): NATO Jerry Cans and Accessories
The jerry can holder is this: Jerry Can Holder 20L

I mounted Unistrut rails in my Colorado bed tie down points, then attached the Jerry can holders to the Unistrut. Similar concept should work on a Tacoma.
20190705_203642.jpg
20190705_203601.jpg

Ian_Hgn

Rank 0

Contributor I

Milwaukee, WI, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Hagen
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9NBT
I use the 20L Wavian NATO spec'd Jerry Cans mounted in their metal frame holders. Very robust fuel cans and they seal perfectly. The plastic military Scepter cans are harder to find and more expensive. To me Rotopax are overpriced and too many people have issues with leaks (just read the Amazon reviews).

This website had the best prices (before COVID-19 freakout): NATO Jerry Cans and Accessories
The jerry can holder is this: Jerry Can Holder 20L

I mounted Unistrut rails in my Colorado bed tie down points, then attached the Jerry can holders to the Unistrut. Similar concept should work on a Tacoma.
Thanks for the tip on the can holders!

Reactions: JBurg540

Ben_in_ILM

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Myrtle Grove, NC
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Jensen
Member #

Check with 22Echo and he will give you the skinny on the RotoPax. Don't quote me, but I believe he found the Pax to be a PITA.

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

Another vote for Wavian. I’ve used them for years and they’ve never let me down. I’ve got the ability to mount four 20l cans in two Baja Designs Jerry can holders on a Gobi rack - very stable platform. (Just a side note, I needed the ability to carry four cans for a specific trip - I don’t always roll with four cans up top!)6B24D5AE-BA52-4034-86F5-0825C9E8DEEB.jpeg

Ratthew

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I have used Rotopax for both water and fuel and they were terrible. For both. Especially storing water. Extremely overrated and do not work well in actual practice.