Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
IMG_0686.JPG Do you carry extra fuel when Overlanding? I have a permanent tank on my rig. I think it's important to rotate your fuel on occasion. I personally try to do this at least monthly.

I use a simple shake siphon to transfer fuel, with minimal mess. In the past, I carried Jerry Cans, and would poor directly to the tank. This was hard work, and often spills occurred. The Siphon makes this task much easier.

If you do need to clean up a spill, remember any rags/towels used become hazardous waste. Don't dispose of them in the trash can at your favorite gas station. You may cause the place to burn down. Then you would have to find a new, favorite gas station.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

You could use a fuel stabilizer and rotate your fuel even less if your just hauling it around and not using it?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Yes, this is true, thanks for bringing this up. The additives in the fuel change seasonally. So you would want to rotate fuel at least seasonally, even with fuel stabilization.

Reactions: Barbara Wada

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

Yes, this is true, thanks for bringing this up. The additives in the fuel change seasonally. So you would want to rotate fuel at least seasonally, even with fuel stabilization.
They do change the additives, but your vehicle won't know what season it is.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
They do change the additives, but your vehicle won't know what season it is.

I'm told (but I'm happy to consider a counter argument), that a winter fuel mixture may cause problems in your vehicle, if used in the summer. The source was reputable, and works in the petroleum industry. She explained why, but since I don't have a degree in chemistry, I didn't fully understand. I told her about my practice of using fuel stabilization. She told me, that's its fine if you are going to run the fuel through a low complexity engine: lawnmower etc.. but not for a complex modern engine ( I'm paraphrasing to the best of my memory).

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I haven't heard that one before but now I'm curious. I've ran fuel stabilizer in my EFI boat motor for the last 9 years to get rid of the ethanol and since it sits for extended periods of time. I have also used it in my fuel can that occasionally is used in my 2015 Tacoma and haven't noticed any effects. From what I previously have read, the summer gas has additives that are supposed to burn cleaner because of the increased use of vehicles during the summer months and is an EPA thing. I couldn't imagine how your vehicle would know what month it is and that the fuel would have any adverse effects. To each their own...

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
She did mention that fuel for Marine use, is a very different mixture, and isn't as prone to problems. I have a (no road tax cheep) Diesel in my boat. Since it's a sail boat, I go years between fill ups.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I've never noticed marine gas, I always just go to the gas station and use the marine fuel stabilizer that I use in everything. I wonder how different it could be? I had no idea all of these gasolines existed or mattered so much, I guess I have plenty to read up on!