Launch Member

Member I

Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Michelle
Last Name
R
Member #

Hey! My boyfriend and I picked up a new Tacoma Off-Road this weekend. We've been talking about overlanding for awhile, but haven't had a good vehicle to do it. The stars aligned and here we are! I get a 4-week sabbatical this year for hitting 5 years with my company so we are wanting to do an extended trip. We're wanting a rooftop tent, but the options are endless. We're in Portland, so we see a ton of CVTs (based out of Bend), but I wanted to hear some perspective from those who have real experience with tents. We've read quite a bit about Tuff Stuff, Tepui, Yakima, etc.

Here's a pic of our new beaut btw :hearteyes:

IMG_1073.JPG

Thanks!
Michelle

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hey! My boyfriend and I picked up a new Tacoma Off-Road this weekend. We've been talking about overlanding for awhile, but haven't had a good vehicle to do it. The stars aligned and here we are! I get a 4-week sabbatical this year for hitting 5 years with my company so we are wanting to do an extended trip. We're wanting a rooftop tent, but the options are endless. We're in Portland, so we see a ton of CVTs (based out of Bend), but I wanted to hear some perspective from those who have real experience with tents. We've read quite a bit about Tuff Stuff, Tepui, Yakima, etc.

View attachment 136379

Thanks!
Michelle
Hello Michelle and welcome to the OB crew....great looking Toy. Look forward to seeing your build and your adventures neighbor. As far as your tent, sky is the limit. Look at all the reviews on here and on the net. Take your time and do your homework before spending your money.

micheller1

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Michelle
Last Name
R
Member #

Hello Michelle and welcome to the OB crew....great looking Toy. Look forward to seeing your build and your adventures neighbor. As far as your tent, sky is the limit. Look at all the reviews on here and on the net. Take your time and do your homework before spending your money.
Thanks! Nice to see another Oregon friend :grinning: I love Bend. Central OR is one of my favs. I've already told Cole (my partner) that John Day is top of my list for the next couple of months, so we'll be out near your neck of the woods. Guess I have a lot of reading I need to do and build a realistic budget based on that.

Reactions: Chadlyb

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Thanks! Nice to see another Oregon friend :grinning: I love Bend. Central OR is one of my favs. I've already told Cole (my partner) that John Day is top of my list for the next couple of months, so we'll be out near your neck of the woods. Guess I have a lot of reading I need to do and build a realistic budget based on that.
There's lots of reviews to watch on YouTube also. Don't forget, you can go to a rally or expo to see them in person. Well if you come out my way just reach out. We have tons of snow to play in right now. 20191214_143517.jpg

Reactions: Munga Brown

eharris2

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Cañon City, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Harris
Member #

We love our Freespirit Recreation 55" Tri-Layer. I have camped in some terrible weather in it. I think because it is a tri-layer it is quitter and it is most defiantly warmer. This can be a down side to hot weather sleeping but with the addition of a fan it is not to bad. We typically spend our time in the mountains were night time temperatures are more mild anyway. I agree with the comments above, go spend some time in lots of brands to see which one fits your preference and budget.

Great truck and color choice by the way, your gonna love it!

Reactions: micheller1

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Where to begin... as others have said there are a zillion YT reviews on RTTs. Watch lots of them, especially the soft vs. hardshell comparisons then aggregate all the different thoughts to get a general idea what works well for what situations.

If you're doing a longer trip, but moving often (either relocating daily, or breaking camp daily to go explore) then you probably want to look at a hardshell tent. Setting up and breaking down a soft shell tent (and dealing with the cover) every day for 4 weeks sounds like a nightmare. Of course, being that you have a pickup if you want to mount the RTT low over the bed (which is a really nice option to keep the wind noise and mpg hit down on the road, and make the climb up the ladder more manageable) you're pretty limited for hardshells (the iKamper Skycamp Mini is one of the nicest for that use-case... but is $$$$$).

-TJ

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hey @micheller1

Far as I'm concerned, whether you move nightly or not, but like to camp a lot, hard shell is the way to go. A lot of folks I know who camp tons that had a softshell flip out tent have switched to a hardshell or wedge to avoid having the cover and extra set up time. If you only do a week here and there over the course of a year and don't move a lot during those weeks, then a soft flip out tent like Tepui or CVT etc will suit most folks just fine.

I LOVE my hardshell, and have had it out over 600 nights since I got it 2.5 yrs ago. SO quick and easy to set up and take back down. Literally 4 latches and give it a shove.

biberm-190313-1080-1797.jpg

micheller1

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Michelle
Last Name
R
Member #

I waited for Black Friday sale at REI and ended up with a tepui tent. It’s awesome and love it. Paired it with a RCI Steel bed rack. Have a friend that has a hard shell tent and it’s pretty awesome but I can’t get over the price of them.
View attachment 136976View attachment 136977
nice looking setup, you’ve got! How do you like the bed racks? We’re going back and forth on bed vs roof racks. Don’t want to lose too much storage in the bed.

Reactions: dpurdy85

micheller1

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Michelle
Last Name
R
Member #

We love our Freespirit Recreation 55" Tri-Layer. I have camped in some terrible weather in it. I think because it is a tri-layer it is quitter and it is most defiantly warmer. This can be a down side to hot weather sleeping but with the addition of a fan it is not to bad. We typically spend our time in the mountains were night time temperatures are more mild anyway. I agree with the comments above, go spend some time in lots of brands to see which one fits your preference and budget.

Great truck and color choice by the way, your gonna love it!
Not sure we’ll get too much hot weather but eastern Oregon does get pretty miserable in the summertime. Do you have two people sleeping in it? Any pups?

micheller1

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Michelle
Last Name
R
Member #

Where to begin... as others have said there are a zillion YT reviews on RTTs. Watch lots of them, especially the soft vs. hardshell comparisons then aggregate all the different thoughts to get a general idea what works well for what situations.

If you're doing a longer trip, but moving often (either relocating daily, or breaking camp daily to go explore) then you probably want to look at a hardshell tent. Setting up and breaking down a soft shell tent (and dealing with the cover) every day for 4 weeks sounds like a nightmare. Of course, being that you have a pickup if you want to mount the RTT low over the bed (which is a really nice option to keep the wind noise and mpg hit down on the road, and make the climb up the ladder more manageable) you're pretty limited for hardshells (the iKamper Skycamp Mini is one of the nicest for that use-case... but is $$$$$).

-TJ
Ugh the iKampers are so nice but so pricy we’re debating on roof vs bed racks. Do you have a pickup? What do you have?

Reactions: PonoAdventures

micheller1

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Michelle
Last Name
R
Member #

Hey @micheller1

Far as I'm concerned, whether you move nightly or not, but like to camp a lot, hard shell is the way to go. A lot of folks I know who camp tons that had a softshell flip out tent have switched to a hardshell or wedge to avoid having the cover and extra set up time. If you only do a week here and there over the course of a year and don't move a lot during those weeks, then a soft flip out tent like Tepui or CVT etc will suit most folks just fine.

I LOVE my hardshell, and have had it out over 600 nights since I got it 2.5 yrs ago. SO quick and easy to set up and take back down. Literally 4 latches and give it a shove.

View attachment 141129

GREAT pic and setup! in an ideal world, we’d definitely have a hard shell but they are so expensive! But if we are going to be out a ton then it’d be awful to spend the money on a soft shell only to replace it before it sees its full life.

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

GREAT pic and setup! in an ideal world, we’d definitely have a hard shell but they are so expensive! But if we are going to be out a ton then it’d be awful to spend the money on a soft shell only to replace it before it sees its full life.

Thanks, @micheller1 . Oh, a lot of the hard shells are comparable in price, from what I've seen. You don't have to go way high-end. I've been quite happy and pleased with the functionality and comfort of mine.

Check the For Sale sections of this and other adventure forums like expeditionportal.com, ih8mud, americanadventurist.com, the tacoma and cruiser forums, etc, too. I found mine, a RoofNest Eagle used on only one trip, for a little more than half-price. The guy helped me move it over from his Land Rover to my trailer, too.

I'd get one that you're comfortable will hold its value, too, in case you do decide to change.

Good luck to you two, whichever way you go!

padre180100-1075panocrop-1000.jpg

SHEEPDOG 111

Rank III
Launch Member

Influencer II

Central Massachusetts
First Name
Michael
Last Name
C
Member #

View attachment 136379

Thanks!
Michelle
Having a short bed colorado I chose to go with the hard shell Bantam from Torro offroad and a 10" bed rack from Cali raised. The rtt is pricey but includes an awning and annex room and cold weather insulation in the package and should only peek above my roofline for decent aerodynamics. The bed rack is slotted to hold exterior gear but a toneau cover can't be used with it. 2,600 for the rtt and 800 for the rack. It has not arrived yet so I can't give a full review but maybe it's something you can look into for your rig.
May all your adventures be safe!

micheller1

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Michelle
Last Name
R
Member #

Having a short bed colorado I chose to go with the hard shell Bantam from Torro offroad and a 10" bed rack from Cali raised. The rtt is pricey but includes an awning and annex room and cold weather insulation in the package and should only peek above my roofline for decent aerodynamics. The bed rack is slotted to hold exterior gear but a toneau cover can't be used with it. 2,600 for the rtt and 800 for the rack. It has not arrived yet so I can't give a full review but maybe it's something you can look into for your rig.
May all your adventures be safe!
Those look very nice for the $! Curious to hear how you like it once you get it out for a night or two.

Reactions: Amy&Joe

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Welcome @micheller1, sorry to be late to the party.
I am one of 4 Northwest Member Representatives. @Munga Brown (Oregon Coast) @Gabriel Bozeman (Washington State) and @Sandpoint Steve (Idaho) are the other Member Reps. @Kent R is the Acting Regional Director.

For group activities around theRegion check out
If you have any other questions don’t hesitate to send any of us a message, we will gladly reply back.

Mike Rose
OB#20990
Overland Bound Northwest East Oregon Member Rep

dpurdy85

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Livermore, CA, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Purdy
Member #

nice looking setup, you’ve got! How do you like the bed racks? We’re going back and forth on bed vs roof racks. Don’t want to lose too much storage in the bed.
Love my RCI bed rack. They make full height bed racks if you don't want a half height like I have. RCI also has some great armor for you Taco

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

Ugh the iKampers are so nice but so pricy we’re debating on roof vs bed racks. Do you have a pickup? What do you have?
If you are looking at bed racks, I highly recommend Leitner Designs. Expensive, but high quality product. I love mine. I have an iKamper X-Cover, but if you change sites every day, I recommend saving for a hardtop that can set up and take down fast.