Launch Member

Contributor I

Irvine, CA, USA
First Name
Binh
Last Name
Dang
Member #

I’m considering a RTT. I like the low profile of a hard shell. But they tend to take up the entire rack. I have an Apex Overland Frontrunner rack. Soft shell, hard shell or ground tent like a gazelle? Opinions?

Funmobile

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Yuba City
Member #

I have both. Most of the time, I take my Tepui. On ocasssions where my dog is with me and needs to sleep in the tent due to weather, I use a REI Half Dome Plus. As products, I am extremely pleased with the function and quality of both.

PonoAdventures

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Orange County, CA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Nguyen
Member #

I’m considering a RTT. I like the low profile of a hard shell. But they tend to take up the entire rack. I have an Apex Overland Frontrunner rack. Soft shell, hard shell or ground tent like a gazelle? Opinions?
If you decide on a RTT, I would save the money for the hard shell tent. If you move each day, the ease of a hard top helps. I’ve heard good things about gazelle tents, but I really like the ease of having a RTT and not worrying about rocks etc.

Reactions: Road

Wallygator

Rank III

Contributor II

USA
I just sold my 4Runner but when I had it the Eezi-Awn Blade lived on it full time. The hard shells are not as roomy as the soft shells but if it's just you and one other they have some advantages. It did take up the whole roof but that was never an issue. I upgraded the 4's suspension to handle the weight of this tent and it handled great. I prefer this tent because it's very durable and can take hits along with 10 second setup with about 15 second take down. I bought a truck and the tent is waiting for the rack to arrive. IMO you can't go wrong with a hard shell RTT especially the aluminum ones.

William C aka “The Claw”

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

North Fork, Idaho, United States
First Name
William
Last Name
Clawson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI6MKX
Service Branch
Volunteer Fire
Several years ago we purchased a CVT RTT and awning for a planned trip to Alaska. My wife absolutely refused to ground tent camp in Alaska because She did not want to become bear bait. funny thing is She will tent camp when we go into the backcountry on mule back to places like the Bob Marshall in Montana With the most Grizzlies in the lower 48 Or the Gray bull in Wyoming..... The RTT did make the truck a bit tippy on the 6” lift and it drove a bit like a boat. It was ok in mild to medium off road adventures, but I got it on three wheels more than a couple times and was never sure how much further I could push it without flopping it. So we bought a trailer and put the tent on that and love that combination. If we are not pulling the trailer we ground tent camp in our REI Half dome Or tarp if weather is good. The RTT is big enough to have a medium sized dog sleep at the foot of the bed (on my Wife's side)

Reactions: NashvilleKara

Get Out GO

Ambassador, Africa

Influencer III

Randburg, South Africa
First Name
Christoff
Last Name
Eilerd
Member #

A soft-shell is lighter and still leaves room for cargo on the roof rack, a hard-shell is heavier, takes up the whole roof rack usually but has a lower profile and setup is much easier / quicker. Can't comment on the Gazelle but from what I've seen in @Michael 's video it's very quick+easy to set up.

I use a FrontRunner RTT when it's just me or I'm going into the rough stuff and a Conqueror trailer for family trips.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Most of the soft RTTs I considered take up about as much room as my hardshell RTT does on the rack I have on my trailer. They also were more cumbersome to not only open and close, but more cumbersome to move about if I want to reposition it on the rack or remove it. I can move my hardshell quite easily by myself and remove and reinstall it by myself easier than I could a softshell. Mine weighs 135 lbs.

I used ground tents for most of my camping and adventuring going back fifty years and still have a really nice one. I have to say, though, in the 2.5 years I've had my hardshell RTT it is by far my preferred sleeping quarters.

SO much easier; literally undo four locations and give it a shove. Pops up and is ready in a couple minutes. SO much more comfortable, too.

Also far easier to level one side of my trailer than it is to find a level and smooth spot of ground backcountry for a ground tent. I haven't set up my ground tent in years.

pthi-190709-bwcrop-9224-1080t.jpg

Reactions: Wallygator

NashvilleKara

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Kara
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

I’ve also been considering an RTT but I have a family of 4 and a 65 lb dog who would whine until we brought him up. I also hadn’t considered how it would effect drivability as mentioned above. I don’t suppose anyone has any suggestions? I would also consider a teardrop and rtt. Maybe.

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

I’ve also been considering an RTT but I have a family of 4 and a 65 lb dog who would whine until we brought him up. I also hadn’t considered how it would effect drivability as mentioned above. I don’t suppose anyone has any suggestions? I would also consider a teardrop and rtt. Maybe.
23zero Walkabout 72 is a California King and relatively low profile. Weighs about 160 lbs. Not sure if that's good enough for all of those people but it'll be bigger than a teardrop trailer.

Reactions: NashvilleKara

NashvilleKara

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Kara
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

23zero Walkabout 72 is a California King and relatively low profile. Weighs about 160 lbs. Not sure if that's good enough for all of those people but it'll be bigger than a teardrop trailer.
We all fit in a cal king at home, though not at my husband and my enjoyment. Lol. My kids are still small. Thanks!

Franky

Rank 0

Contributor I

Hawaii
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Daniels
I’m considering an RTT. I like the low profile of a hard shell. But they tend to take up the entire rack. I have an Apex Overland Frontrunner rack. Softshell, hard shell or ground tent like a gazelle? Opinions?
If you decide on an RTT, I would spend the extra money on a hard shell tent. To me, the ease and time saver of setting up camp in 60 seconds is hard to beat. To me, time is the most valuable resource. I now have a iKamper SKYCAMP 2.0 on my Tacoma. If you don't need the extra room the 2X should do as well. My buddy has a Roofnest Sparrow and it seems pretty legit too! CVT makes some pretty solid tents as well. Just make sure and do your homework because it is a pricey purchase. Here is a pretty good review of hardshell RTT's.