Launch Member

Traveler I

New Mexico, USA
First Name
Elodie
Last Name
Klenovits
Member #

Hey guys, Im looking for some advice on rooftop tents.

I will be moving into my Jeep Wrangler full time in August and need to cover my sleeping situation. I really need something that you can easily and quickly fold up and down so a hard shell tent is what I was looking at. Do you have a tent or have one on your build list that you really like?? My top four qualities are:

1) Must be fast, just in case I need to roll out of there quickly and "get out of dodge" so to speak (my top priority)
2) Good visibility with 360 degree windows
3) Pretty durable for heavy use
4) decently aerodynamic for lots of travel
** Bonus points if it is fast to set up/take down and doesn't take up the entire top of the jeep (for other storage)

Thank you so freakin much, I'm new to all of this and jumping in deep right away to the overlanding scene. I could use all the wisdom I can get.

.... and the Ursa Minor full top is way out of my budget range... I know sad day.

Valkyrie24

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

New Mexico, USA
First Name
Elodie
Last Name
Klenovits
Member #

Yes! Its just a little outside of my price range and have an aftermarket soft top as well as jeep backbone I'd like to use. Definitely a great idea though especially with the interior access. Also looking at roof racks, if anyone has a preference of the garvin adventure rack over the gobi stealth or vice versa let me know

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I ran the jeep backbone with the Gobi JK45. Didn't use it with a RTT, but I'm sure it would work.

VentureOverlandCo

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Lakeville MN
Member #

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

All RTT's are similar in concept and all set up/breakdown pretty quick in their own way. But most will also eat up any roof space you have on a 2dr jeep unfortunately. But IMO they are worth their weight in gold.

18620427_1442023255818879_3365378777502558322_n.jpg

Valkyrie24

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

New Mexico, USA
First Name
Elodie
Last Name
Klenovits
Member #

I'll be on my own and maybe in some sketchy places, so fast is an understatement lol. Thinking on the new eezi-awn stealth

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I'll be on my own and maybe in some sketchy places, so fast is an understatement lol. Thinking on the new eezi-awn stealth
If you are going to be in some sketchy places, have you thought about building a sleeping platform inside your jeep. You could remove the back seat, and store all your stuff below the sleeping platform. Use a safari rack to keep less often used items. This would probably be a bit cheaper also, since it sounds like you may be on a budget.

Reactions: Notedhillbilly

Valkyrie24

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

New Mexico, USA
First Name
Elodie
Last Name
Klenovits
Member #

I have thought of building something on the inside and actually was planning on fabricating something up. Ran into issues with my jeep being a daily driver and not ruining that basic function, I have a soft top so security is an issue, and also have a medium sized dog that would get antsy not being able to stand up in it. Really about security and space for sleeping while keeping the passenger seat

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Have you seen this YouTube channel.

Some good ideas about living in a two door Wrangler. You might be able to pickup a hard top, from a wrecking yard, cheep. This would keep your stuff much safer. I think I would put personal safety, then safety of property, hi on my priority list. Just my $.02...

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

Yes! Its just a little outside of my price range and have an aftermarket soft top as well as jeep backbone I'd like to use. Definitely a great idea though especially with the interior access. Also looking at roof racks, if anyone has a preference of the garvin adventure rack over the gobi stealth or vice versa let me know
Roof racks and tents check out Front Runner Agoura, calif 8182531322

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I'm assuming, from your profile photo, you are in the Austin area. When you finally choose what direction you want to go, let me know if you need help installing. I'm happy to show up with my Jeep and my tools. Many hands make for lite work.

Valkyrie24

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

New Mexico, USA
First Name
Elodie
Last Name
Klenovits
Member #

I'm assuming, from your profile photo, you are in the Austin area. When you finally choose what direction you want to go, let me know if you need help installing. I'm happy to show up with my Jeep and my tools. Many hands make for lite work.
Haha yeah I go to school close by, when I run into install I'll let you know! Thanks for the offer

Dana

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

Hey not sure if this would be right but. Have you checked out Bundutec. They have a new one that is not electric. It folds out pretty quick and seems tough. Not sure on the price. It's not even listed on the website yet. They just have the electric hard top which seems nice if you don't mind an electric mechanism to raise and lower your tent. You know just something else to break.

Last edited:

Valkyrie24

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

New Mexico, USA
First Name
Elodie
Last Name
Klenovits
Member #

Update: decided to go with a soft shell ARB and bought an old M416 trailer to mount it on and haul my gear around. That way I have a mobile storage unit essentially and can deploy my daily driver Wrangler from base camp. Will post pictures of the set up when it's more complete and my rig is functional :) thanks for all the feedback guys! You have no idea how helpful extra brains are in figuring this stuff out