Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Altoona, PA, USA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Gorsuch
Member #

Hey all!!! This may be a dumb question but how do you go about getting your doggos into your RTT? The obvious answer is probably going to be just pick it up but I have a medium size pitbull terrier (65 lbs) and she’s a freak about being lifted up lol she’s my main hiking/camping buddy and she does just fine in a ground tent but I’m looking to upgrade to RTT. Thanks for any input or tips!! IMG_8334.JPG

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
I struggled with this for quite some time before ultimately abandoning the idea of a RTT...

About the only "solution" I have come across that I would consider, if I went the RTT direction, would be to get an enclosed annex for the RTT so my camping buddy (Labrador Retriever) would be inside and somewhat contained at night.

Another idea I came across somewhere, was depended on you having the "right" vehicle in that you could set up the opening of the RTT to be over the hood of the vehicle and you could use a ramp or your gear boxes as steps to get your dog, and yourself upon the hood of the vehicle and then into the tent. Might still involve a little lifting, but not anything like trying to carry your camping buddy up a ladder.

Good luck in finding the solution that works for you.

Reactions: Cody_Gorsuch

Cody_Gorsuch

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Altoona, PA, USA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Gorsuch
Member #

I struggled with this for quite some time before ultimately abandoning the idea of a RTT...

About the only "solution" I have come across that I would consider, if I went the RTT direction, would be to get an enclosed annex for the RTT so my camping buddy (Labrador Retriever) would be inside and somewhat contained at night.

Another idea I came across somewhere, was depended on you having the "right" vehicle in that you could set up the opening of the RTT to be over the hood of the vehicle and you could use a ramp or your gear boxes as steps to get your dog, and yourself upon the hood of the vehicle and then into the tent. Might still involve a little lifting, but not anything like trying to carry your camping buddy up a ladder.

Good luck in finding the solution that works for you.
Thanks I’ve seen videos on YouTube (Last line of defense) channel and he always has his lab in his RTT. Never saw how he got it up there. His tent is on the bed of his Taco so it is lower the the roof but still has a ladder

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

When we had an RTT I bought a carpet runner and laid it up the hood and windshield of my Xterra. I then lifted one of our dogs (the other could jump up onto the hood) and they walked up the carpet runner and into an open window of the RTT. Simple as that. Worked slick as doggie-doo.

i came up with this idea after one of our dogs had a serious case of the "I really need to go now" in the RTT in the middle of the night. I opened the RTT door flap and was trying to get sorted ot carry him down the ladder when he decided he'd had enough and just jumped/launched himself out. I tryed ot grab him and fell off the ladder wrecking my ankle. The dog, was just fine, of course.

Cendee

SE Member Representative
Launch Member
Supporter

Influencer III

West Haven, UT, USA
First Name
Cendee
Last Name
Bjerregaard
Member #

My dog is to big to lift up there. I fold my backseats down make her a nice bed in my Jeep. I crack the windows for her and she seems to love it. She can sprawl out and enjoy herself.

Cody_Gorsuch

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Altoona, PA, USA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Gorsuch
Member #

My dog is to big to lift up there. I fold my backseats down make her a nice bed in my Jeep. I crack the windows for her and she seems to love it. She can sprawl out and enjoy herself.
Mine is a big snuggling baby. I don’t think she would be ok with that lol

Reactions: WrightRunner

BlueLineOverland

Local Expert, Arkansas USA

Experimenter II

Ozark Arkansas
First Name
Mason
Last Name
Berry
Member #

I struggled with this as well. I have a miniature aussie that is a rescue and when you mention camping she freaks and wants to go. Putting her in the RTT is no problem she is about 50 pounds. My great pyrenes is a different story. He weighs 167 pounds and also loves to be outside and camp lol. When he comes we ground camp and when the smaller pup (Ellie) comes we sleep in luxury. She loves the view from up there as well lol. Bernie will never know hahahaha

Welding Goats

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Ronn
Last Name
Reeger
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRXB227
I struggled with this as well. I have a miniature aussie that is a rescue and when you mention camping she freaks and wants to go. Putting her in the RTT is no problem she is about 50 pounds. My great pyrenes is a different story. He weighs 167 pounds and also loves to be outside and camp lol. When he comes we ground camp and when the smaller pup (Ellie) comes we sleep in luxury. She loves the view from up there as well lol. Bernie will never know hahahaha
Is your RTT on top of a vehicle or on a trailer? Just wondering about if you're able to lift your Aussie up while standing on the ground of if you have to climb a ladder to get her there.

JungleSkunk

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Smittybuilt and other companies offer the "annex" or room that goes under the tent. Put a dog bed in the annex room. Never was a fan of sleeping with dogs in the first place and I dont think I could justify spending $300 extra so my dog had his own tent.

Attachments

NorCalJoe

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern California, CA, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Kemp
Member #

Smittybuilt and other companies offer the "annex" or room that goes under the tent. Put a dog bed in the annex room. Never was a fan of sleeping with dogs in the first place and I dont think I could justify spending $300 extra so my dog had his own tent.
The annex for rtt are good for a changing room too. Main reason I included one in the purchase of my rtt was so my wife could have a place to change. Place for the dogs was just a happy accident.

Reactions: JungleSkunk

Cody_Gorsuch

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Altoona, PA, USA
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Gorsuch
Member #

I like the idea of the annex but my girl would just sit down there and bark waiting for me to get her up there. I don’t mind sleeping with my dogs at all. She isn’t heavy by any means (65 lbs) but when I say she’s a freak when you pick her up I mean she’s like a bucking bull. Maybe after the first few times she will calm down. Guess I’ll find out the hard way. Me and her are sick of the ground tent...not to mention the wife hates it too when she comes .

JungleSkunk

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I like the idea of the annex but my girl would just sit down there and bark waiting for me to get her up there. I don’t mind sleeping with my dogs at all. She isn’t heavy by any means (65 lbs) but when I say she’s a freak when you pick her up I mean she’s like a bucking bull. Maybe after the first few times she will calm down. Guess I’ll find out the hard way. Me and her are sick of the ground tent...not to mention the wife hates it too when she comes .
I think what you need is some k9 training classes not a ramp! :grinning: My parents got me a German short-haired pointer for christmas years ago and I wouldnt imagine trying to put her in a rooftop tent! Shes a wild one.

Reactions: Cody_Gorsuch

John~SWNM

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Holloway
Member #

Our dogs (one 55 pounds the other 70) are the primary reason my wife & I still tent camp and have only briefly considered a RTT. We can get the ground tnt up quickly and cuts a lot of hastle out of getting the dogs in & out. Hopefully, someday we may go with a RTT.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Stick with the ground tent. You may find soon, that the best area to park, and the best area to camp, are 50 yards apart over here.

I met someone who had a ramp built INTO his camper floor. Like the ramps of a uhaul truck. So his dogo's could get in the camper easy.

Reactions: DoggMan1163

EricGagne

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Lachine, Montreal, QC, Canada
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Gagne
Member #

A friend of mine as his RTT on a trailer. His Husky sleeps with him and his girlfriend in the tent. He carries a board covered with carpet that he puts up for the dog to get in the tent. Once she's up there he just puts the board back in the trailer until morning when he uses it again for the dog to get out.