ROOF-TOP TENT - The SECRETS & Truth Must See FULL Review before You Buy

• HTML tutorial

JungleSkunk

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I watched the entire video and tho it did shed light on lots of issues when doing research and purchasing a roof top tent, I am not sure I like the one sided views expressed solely on the tent he is reviewing.

I do agree that the finest of materials and manufacturing techniques do make the finest tents but there are other cheaper options that are also proven to work. It specifically down plays a few tents that are well known to be very reliable options for those with a budget in mind.

At $4000 or nearly 6+ times a smittybilt overlander tent which is well known to be a great budget tent I would imagine it had some superior features. That being said not everyone has $4000 to spend on a tent.

All and all feels more of a review of that specific tent than a guide to buying tents in general.

If you are affiliated or sponsored by the company it should probably be stated in the "review".

Last edited:
Reactions: Danavision

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

I watched the entire video and tho it did shed light on lots of issues when doing research and purchasing a roof top tent, I am not sure I like the one sided views expressed solely on the tent he is reviewing.

I do agree that the finest of materials and manufacturing techniques do make the finest tents but there are other cheaper options that are also proven to work. It specifically down plays a few tents that are well known to be very reliable options for those with a budget in mind.

I like the tent in the video and seems to be well made. At $4000 or nearly 6+ times a smittybilt overlander tent which is well known to be a great budget tent I would imagine it had some superior features. That being said not everyone has $4000 to spend on a tent.

All and all a good video but feels more of a review of that specific tent than a guide to buying tents in general.

If you are affiliated or sponsored by the company it should probably be stated in the "review".
I didn't watch the whole vid, because I got the same feeling. Like I was watching an infomercial.

Reactions: JungleSkunk

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

I do not mean to offen you. That said, I have a Bachelor of Science in Industrial Design. You should start over as you need to learn what it is that you are talking about, and taking positions on. There are so many areas that this video lacks in, misleads, misdirects, and is incorrect that I do not want to spend the excessive time it would take to provide corrections. This video is nothing more than a product endorsement with out of context assumtions that you have made.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Don't need to watch it. There are a handful of world class RTTs that are in the $3500 +/- range.. I could see spending that much if one is out and about for months or even years at a time. Then there are a handful of really good ones that come in around the $2000 +/- range, aimed specifically at the part time camper folks that still want a quality tent. Then there is a lot of newly branded RTTs that somehow mange to cut enough corners to come in at less than $1200. The only one I would ever trust is the Frontrunner RTT for about $1,300. The quality is top shelf, however is is very small and aimed at the minimalist camp persons. Like most things I'm sometimes not the brightes bulb in the box and it took me half a lifetime to learn not to skimp on tents. One windy rainy night with what you thought was a good tent, coming down around you, or sand blowing in from every seam, or literally freezing your behind off in a wet sleeping bag because the tarp you pitched over top of your supposed waterproof tent couldn't hold back the deluge, or getting really cold at night because you were too cheap to buy a 3 season tent, is what it took for us to finally purchase a top shelf tent. Yes, that's correct, we went through 4 tents until the "better idea" (old Ford commercial) light finally went on in our heads. We came home from a trip back in 2014 and finally bought a good top shelf tent. We could have easily purchased two top shelf tents with all the money wasted.

The point to all of this? My advice to anyone would be to not cut corners and purchase any kind of shelter that uses sub-standard materials, sub standard quality control, and sub-standard manufacturing processes. If you are smart about it, you'll find a really good RTT in the $1500-3,000 range, (or more) depending on what you want or need, that will keep you dry and warm through even the worst weather, and last for decades. I have zero confidence in any budget shelter. Been there, done that...