Fort Wayne, Allen County, Indiana, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Long
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC9ZKP
Wanted to get information on those who have used or currently use rooftop tents. I'm looking into and realize the price point can be high and want to know what I'm getting into before pulling the proverbial trigger on one.

So, please tell me your experience(s), any pros and cons. Suggestion on soft top vs. hard shells, heaters, vestibules, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Kent R

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

There are a ton of threads here on how folks perceive the pros and cons of RTTs; hardshell vs softsided folders, etc. Lots of threads on heat and cooling, too.

Here's a post I made in such a thread, with what I consider to be the benefits of my hardshell RTT, based on experience of over 600 nights out in all kinds of weather and situations:

Here are several more you may find helpful:

Soft shell, hard shell or ground tent?

Rooftop Tent Camping - has several opinions on RTT, ground tents, why, etc:

Seven pages of Roof Top Tent or Ground Tent:

Eight pages of Rooftop Tent, Yay or Nay. OP asks who switched from RTT to ground tent, or vice versa, why, and if RTT are just gimmicks:

Seven pages of "What is your preferred shelter? Rooftop Tent vs Ground Tent vs etc...

Watermarked3(2019-01-19-1051)-900.jpeg

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Wanted to get information on those who have used or currently use rooftop tents. I'm looking into and realize the price point can be high and want to know what I'm getting into before pulling the proverbial trigger on one.

So, please tell me your experience(s), any pros and cons. Suggestion on soft top vs. hard shells, heaters, vestibules, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Great info @Road provided! It's important to post a question on the appropriate page in order to get more traction with your question.
I am sure you will bet lots of feedback.

Reactions: Dusther210 and Road

bhayes423

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Knoxville
First Name
Blake
Last Name
Hayes
We started out with a Tepui Kukenam 3 soft shell and it was a great tent to be honest. Very well made and kept us dry and warm. The only downside is the setup / breakdown time when there is inclement weather which is why we switched to an iKamper mini. Can literally setup in under a minute and have it closed and locked within 2. If you are setting up camp and staying still for days at a time might not be a big deal but we like to change spots every night.

Reactions: Road and MrChaucer