Roof top tent choices

• HTML tutorial

Overland_scrambler

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Big Bear Lake, CA, USA
Member #

Hey guys going through my choice for tents. I want a big one but I don’t want it to go over the cab of my scrambler. The norm cvt tents fold up small but I want one as big as the ikamper skycamp or the MT Reiner extended stargazer pioneer from cvt but they are long.

Are there any hard shell tents like the gen3 expedition tent that aren’t that long but can be pulled or folded out need it to be about as long as the back of my cj8.

IMG_7807.JPGIMG_7805.JPGIMG_7808.JPG

tridoc

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Prairie Village, KS, USA
First Name
marty
Last Name
gilmore
Member #

the particular I kamper vs tepui you reference...the I kamper has no "bag", as it's hard shell. more $$, but wicked fast set up/take down, and...this is a big one, if you truly use it, and leave it on racks as do most of us, the soft tents like the tepui get their weather bag beat to hell. also, the I kamper locks with sturdy mechanism so no one can mess with your tent!
i went with the I kamper skycamp (mounted onto a Leitner acs rack system over bed of my gen 2 ford raptor), but they are all sold out for the remainder of 2019...
if on a budget, I recommend you look at roofnest. their sparrow is a really good budget hard shell. opens up like the tepui hi box or a james baroud. less floor space than the I kamper, but good value. it does not lock, however...
have fun. good luck!

Pindal

Rank V

Influencer II

California
Member #

I would go directly to the CVT, Denaly model, with the new roof for rain. Those tents are for almost a lifetime.