Founder 500

Explorer I

Ridgecrest, California, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

In this video I brought up three major reasons why we chose to install a Roof Top Tent on our 2006 Jeep Wrangler. The tent is a Tepui Ayer. Small but perfect for this size of vehicle. For most of my entire life I have camped on the ground and still would to this day. The biggest reason we wanted to try a Roof Top Tent on the jeep was purely due to space. Jeeps do not have a ton of storage in them to start with a cooler/fridge, tools, cloths, tent, and sleeping gear it becomes easy to see why one would look for a way to organize their gear more. This tent allows use to keep our sleeping gear (though limited because the tent can only store so much, this will be part of a long term review later on) out of the back of jeep freeing up room to better organize what we have. Honestly, we have spent a few nights in the tent and so far we enjoy it. However, we are still unsure if we like it more than the ground tent that we have become so accustom to. What are your thoughts on this? Does a roof top tent help or hurt your storage solution? What are your benefits or negatives to a roof top tent?

Reactions: RoarinRow and Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Another great video, Mark. I appreciate you always starting a discussion with your vids by asking others what their experience is.

Here's mine:

I have around 600 nights out in the last couple years with my van, trailer, and RTT.

I've done the vanlife and pickup bed camping thing for literally decades, since the late 1960s, and have even longer experience with ground tents. I have to say the RTT is now, by far, my favorite place to sleep in any environment or weather, from freezing New England lake side spots, to hot days in the desert, and everything in between.

I did not like it at first, thinking it a hassle to: - haul stuff up there every night; - climb up and down if I forgot anything; - deal with condensation on cool nights.

Once I realized how much easier it is to just leave stuff up there that I use every night, like current books, light, pee jug (laundry soap jugs are the best, just cut out the clear pour spout), and extra change of clothes, I wasn't hauling stuff up and down every day. I quickly learned to set items I knew I would want up there, like tomorrow's clothes, on my trailer cover over by the ladder throughout the evening, so everything was always right there to haul with me when I go up. Other stuff just stays up there for the duration I'm camped anywhere, and often from one spot to the next, sometimes for weeks at a time.

PRO TIP: get a TV tray to keep in your RTT as a flat surface to put a drink on, keep your flashlight from rolling away or getting buried in bedclothes, and just generally be an easier place to find things in the dark. I bought three at a CVS drug store, cheap, for general use around camp.

TVTray-RTT_2391-900.jpg

Once I learned how to eliminate condensation with proper flow-through ventilation, leaving both end flaps down a bit even on cold nights and often the whole covered doorway with just screen, sleeping up there became kind of luxurious compared to sleeping in the van or in a ground tent.

Mine is a hardshell, so super easy up and down; just unlatch four spots, give it a shove, and it pops right up. Literally just a minute or two. Just about as easy to stow back away. I keep all bedding and the ladder in there when tent is closed, and often both camp tables and other flat stuff, so have more room in both van and trailer for longer day trips.

biberm-190313-1080-1797.jpg

My mattress is approx queen-sized at 82" long and 58" wide. SO much more soft cushy room than my van or ground tent. About three feet sitting height.

I usually keep a double folded comforter on the mattress, which is not that great of a quality foam, and sleep on top of that with an open sleeping bag and a couple SnugPak jungle blankets. Always warm, always cozy, even with cross-through ventilation on cold nights.

I think it's healthier sleeping this way, actually, and I LOVE that I wake up every day as the sky brightens before the sun comes up. The tent fabric lets in enough light that my waking pattern starts falling in line with hours around dawn. I wake up excited to get out there and look for last night's animal tracks in the sand, check out the river, go fishing or go for a bike ride as the sun rises, etc.

Definitely a big plus storage-wise over having a ground tent take up space anywhere when not in use, freeing up that space for other stuff or simply more room for relaxing. Big space advantage, too, over having a full-time bed set up in the van. Definitely a huge plus time-wise, as well, as mentioned above.

The Ladder Issue: I see a lot of folks saying they're too old to be climbing up and down a ladder, or their kids are too young to be climbing up and down a ladder, or that it seems like it would be such a hassle to to have to climb down in the middle of the night.

It's not. Seriously. I'm closer to 70 than 60 and have found having the ladder keeps me MORE fit and limber and has not been a hassle in the middle of the night or any other time. Only takes a week of being out adventuring to start feeling more limber and energetic than I ever do when in a house. A huge part of that is climbing around my rig every day, deploying tent and awning, and climbing up and down that ladder.

lmbbrsp-190322-1080pncrp-3350.jpg

As for kids, christ, kids are better at ladders and playground style climbing than anyone. Whenever I have friends camping near, the kids are always up there in a heartbeat like it's their own private fort. Not one has ever twisted an ankle, slipped off a rung, or needed help up or down.

So yeah Mark, I love it way more than camping in a ground tent or sleeping in my van. It is by far the preferred choice of anyone who comes to camp. It keeps me far more healthy and positive, to boot.

I never expected such a simple piece of gear to be so beneficial or such a treat.

Thanks again for the videos, man.

Last edited:

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

Thank you very much for the kind words, glad to see you are enjoying the videos so far! I hope that this helps open up discussions so that we can all learn from each others personal setups and experiences.

First off wow, what an amazing wealth of knowledge and experience you have. Thank you for posting your setup and why it works so well for you.

Secondly, the TV tray is genius! I have learned recently as well that bringing what I need into the tent the night before makes getting up and down a none issue. I also have learned to not bring my entire duffle bag inside the tent with me. I tend to get to much stuff up there with me LOL.

I also agree that there is something really enjoyable about sleeping high off the ground. I cant place my finger on it, but maybe it has to do with a sense of security? While larger animals could easily get into a RTT, it just feels like there is less to worry about.

Something I do to make my getting in and out of the tent easier is hang my shoes with a carabiner from the D rings near the ladder. Flip Flops also make life easier up there.

Reactions: 702FJC and Road

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

Space def. helps one get better organized.
And when there is so little of it, everything has to be perfect. Ive done meh fair share of piling gear in the back! Photo from when I first started using the jeep to do longer trips in.:tearsofjoy:

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: Road and RoarinRow

Lifes2short4BS

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Half Moon Bay, Ca
First Name
Scotty
Last Name
N
Member #

I do love my Tepui rugadized autana... I recently made a point of lowering it for ease of use. My only complaint about RTTs is waking up in the middle of the night to pee. That's when I hate that ladder... I am seriously considering an autohome or Alucab for the super duper uber fast setup and takedown... i find that the flying bricks still take a lot of time for setup and breakdown when you're doing one night and run, one more night, run....

Reactions: Embark With Mark

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
Another great video, Mark. I appreciate you always starting a discussion with your vids by asking others what their experience is.

Here's mine:

I have around 600 nights out in the last couple years with my van, trailer, and RTT.

I've done the vanlife and pickup bed camping thing for literally decades, since the late 1960s, and have even longer experience with ground tents. I have to say the RTT is now, by far, my favorite place to sleep in any environment or weather, from freezing New England lake side spots, to hot nights in the desert, and everything in between.

I did not like it at first, thinking it a hassle to: - haul stuff up there every night; - climb up and down if I forgot anything; - deal with condensation on cool nights.

Once I realized how much easier it is to just leave stuff up there, once set up, that I use every night, like current books, light, pee jug (laundry soap jugs are the best, just cut out the clear pour spout), and extra change of clothes, I wasn't hauling stuff up and down every day. I quickly learned to set items I knew I would want up there, like tomorrow's clothes, on my trailer cover over by the ladder throughout the evening, so everything is always right there to haul with when I go up. Other stuff just stays up there for the duration I'm camped anywhere, and often from one spot to the next, sometimes for weeks at a time.

PRO TIP: get a TV tray to keep in your RTT as a flat surface to put a drink on, keep your flashlight from rolling away or getting buried in bedclothes, and just generally be an easier place to find things in the dark. I bought three at a CVS drug store cheap, for general use around camp.

View attachment 146856

Once I learned how to eliminate condensation with proper flow-through ventilation, leaving both end flaps down a bit even on cold nights and often the whole covered doorway with just screen, sleeping up there became kind of luxurious compared to sleeping in the van or in a ground tent.

Mine is a hardshell, so super easy up and down; just unlatch four spots, give it a shove, and it pops right up. Literally just a minute or two. Just about as easy to stow back away. I keep all bedding and the ladder in there when tent is closed, and often both camp tables and other flat stuff, so have more room in both van and trailer for longer day trips.

View attachment 146857

My mattress is approx queen-sized at 82" long and 58" wide. SO much more soft cushy room than my van or ground tent. About three feet sitting height.

I usually keep a double folded comforter on the mattress, which is not that great of a quality foam, and sleep on top of that with an open sleeping bag and a couple SnugPak jungle blankets. Always warm, always cozy, even with cross-through ventilation on cold nights.

I think it's healthier sleeping this way, actually, and I LOVE that I wake up every day as the sky brightens before the sun comes up. The tent fabric lets in enough light that my waking pattern starts falling in line with hours around dawn. I wake up excited to get out there and look for last night's animal tracks in the sand, check out the river, go fishing or go for a bike ride as the sun rises, etc.

Definitely a big plus storage-wise over having a ground tent take up space anywhere when not in use, freeing up that space for other stuff or simply more room for relaxing. Big space advantage, too, over having a full-time bed set up in the van. Definitely a huge plus time-wise, as well, as mentioned above.

The Ladder Issue: I see a lot of folks saying they're too old to be climbing up and down a ladder, or their kids are too young to be climbing up and down a ladder, or that it seems like it would be such a hassle to to have to climb down in the middle of the night to use the potty.

It's not. Seriously. I'm closer to 70 than 60 and have found having the ladder keeps me MORE fit and limber and has not been a hassle in the middle of the night or any other time. Only takes a week of being out adventuring to start feeling more limber and energetic than I ever do when in a house. A huge part of that is climbing around my rig every day, deploying tent and awning, and climbing up and down that ladder.

View attachment 146860

As for kids, christ, kids are better at ladders and playground style climbing than anyone. Whenever I have friends camping near, the kids are always up there in a heartbeat like it's their own private fort. Not one has ever twisted an ankle, slipped off a rung, or needed help up or down.

So yeah Mark, I love it way more than camping in a ground tent or sleeping in my van. It is by far the preferred choice of anyone who comes to camp. It keeps me far more healthy and positive, to boot.

I never expected such a simple piece of gear to be so beneficial or such a treat.

Thanks again for the videos, man.

I love your photographs and really enjoyed how detailed your experience(s) with the RTT!

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

I do love my Tepui rugadized autana... I recently made a point of lowering it for ease of use. My only complaint about RTTs is waking up in the middle of the night to pee. That's when I hate that ladder... I am seriously considering an autohome or Alucab for the super duper uber fast setup and takedown... i find that the flying bricks still take a lot of time for setup and breakdown when you're doing one night and run, one more night, run....
If only I had the space for that on the roof of my Tj, I would have to graduate to a trailer. But I agree, a hard shell tent would be super nice. I can say that for us the RTT is only faster at setup and take down because we don't have to blow up our sleeping pads or setup any of the sleeping gear. Sometimes that royally sucks at above 10,000 feet.

Reactions: Road

Mountain Spirit Overland

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Dubai United Arab Emirates
First Name
Simon
Last Name
Alderson
Member #

I think that you nailed it in the video! Jeep space is at a premium and although ours is a 4 door, not having to carry a ground tent, bedding and so forth in the truck freed up so much space. Being a 4 door, we went for a bigger tent (iKamper) and it has made a tremendous difference. You will love RTT camping I'm sure.IMG-20190419-WA0001.jpg

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

I think that you nailed it in the video! Jeep space is at a premium and although ours is a 4 door, not having to carry a ground tent, bedding and so forth in the truck freed up so much space. Being a 4 door, we went for a bigger tent (iKamper) and it has made a tremendous difference. You will love RTT camping I'm sure.View attachment 147089
Thank you! Nice! I was really looking at a tent that packed slimmer and also at some hard shell tents, they are amazing. My vehicle is just not long enough lol.

harley97

Rank III

Advocate I

Sun City, AZ, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Hinton
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DKV
Service Branch
USCG
Good video and great reasons. I, however, am of a dissenting opinion. I have been trying to see a benefit to the rooftop tents, but so far see more negatives than positives. They are expensive, heavy, trendy, suck in the wind and climbing up an down a ladder seems more dangerous to me. (I like to have a few beers while camping). Is the extra height, higher center of gravity, lower gas mileage and expense worth it? Im not convinced yet. My tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad and cot dont take up a ton of room and are pretty comfortable. Just my opinion, I read a lot of these rooftop tent threads to figure out the appeal, and so far I am not convinced.

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

Good video and great reasons. I, however, am of a dissenting opinion. I have been trying to see a benefit to the rooftop tents, but so far see more negatives than positives. They are expensive, heavy, trendy, suck in the wind and climbing up an down a ladder seems more dangerous to me. (I like to have a few beers while camping). Is the extra height, higher center of gravity, lower gas mileage and expense worth it? Im not convinced yet. My tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad and cot dont take up a ton of room and are pretty comfortable. Just my opinion, I read a lot of these rooftop tent threads to figure out the appeal, and so far I am not convinced.
We share a lot of the same concerns. This is my second one, the first one was an overlander XL I had placed on a trailer. I don't have it anymore for reasons. For me, the space is a huge concern running a Jeep TJ and camping with two people posses a lot of space constraints. Like you, my ground tent setup is pretty comfy. however, when you start adding two sleeping bags, two sleeping pads, two pillows... You can see how in something so small this creates an issue.

As far as the weight is concerned, I have an adjustable swaybar. So far I have really not noticed the weight. On some tight corners at higher speeds the jeep will lean a little more than before, but nothing scary.

To the MPG comment, yea that was a huge concern for me as well. However, funny enough it has not affect my jeep at all. I think it has to do with where I placed it and the front of my jeep being so flat that the air is pushed up and over the face of the tent. I just did 1700 miles and averaged 16mpg (driving a mixture of 60-70), thats really good in a wrangler like mine geared to 4.88s. I turn 2800rpm at 65.

Those are just what I have noticed so far. I can tell you that if I was still on 35s and I was still doing the trails I used to run in this jeep.. I wouldn't have bought a roof top tent. However, the tent doesn't make me shy away from having fun, I just don't rock crawl as hard as I used to.

Reactions: harley97

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I had many of the same concerns before getting mine, Bill.

I'm finding, though, especially after using mine now for 2.5 years and over 600 nights out, none of my own concerns came to pass.

- I bought mine, practically new, for about half-price from a fellow who used it just for a trip with his son. I thought "What the hell, at this price, if I don't like it, I can still sell it for more than I paid." Turned out I absolutely love it. I bet there are a ton more out there for sale lightly used or not used at all.

- Mine is a hardshell, super easy to pop up and pack up. Literally four spots to unlatch and give it a shove. Done. I can move it about on my rack by myself, too, to adjust forward or back. It weights about 140 lbs. I have no doubts I could slide it down a pair of 2x4s by myself, too, if needed, though it stays on my trailer full time.

- It's light enough it does not make my trailer top heavy in the least, though I could see if on top of a light vehicle, it may change the CoG a bit. On my trailer, collapsed and the rack it's on lowered, it's all below the height of my van and doesn't affect my mileage at all. I towed the trailer across America without the tent before getting it, so had figures at hand to compare. Quite a low profile and more aerodynamic when collapsed, much more than most soft tents.

- Not being a fold out soft top, mine pops straight up and is under tension in seconds. No big flaps or sections to blow about. It does great in the wind. In fact, better than any ground tent I've ever owned. It's actually quite nice to sleep up there during a wind or rain storm and I've slept through some doozies, everywhere from 40-50 mph gusts in the desert borderlands of west Texas to howling winds in the mountains of east Tennessee, where everyone's ground tents around me we breaking and collapsing. It is also SO quick and easy compared to any ground shelter I've used, whether temp line and tarp or full blown ground tent.

- I'm closer to seventy than sixty in age, and have not found the ladder to be any problem to use, whether I have a mess of beers in my belly or not. I tend to drink a bunch of them when out camping, especially when staying up all night for night sky photography. My ladder also actually helps keep me more fit and limber in general. It really has not been a hindrance in the least.

- Hard shell rooftop tents, and rooftop tents in general have been trendy of late in the US, you bet, though have been in use overseas since the late 50's. We used to see them when I lived in Europe as a kid and went camping.

As long as I have my trailer, I'll have this hard shell tent on it, whether in vogue or not. It is just too damned easy and convenient and space-saving, not to mention super comfortable.

Not trying to convince you or argue points, though had many of the same concerns and thoughts before getting one and using it, so offer what I've experienced.

pins-1154crop-900.jpg

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive!

Last edited:

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Never tried roof tent but I guess it's also safe right? I mean am I the only one who thinks too much and thinks a tiger would just enter the tent.

I've had young raccoons climb the ladder to investigate while I was up there, and had a vinagroon up there once in the desert. Though with ground tents have had bears come sniffing, squirrels and mice get in, javelinas nudge around, and lord knows how many more bugs and spiders than I get in my rooftop tent.

Feels very safe.

No tigers though. Yet.

Stay safe, stay clean, stay positive!

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

Never tried roof tent but I guess it's also safe right? I mean am I the only one who thinks too much and thinks a tiger would just enter the tent.
Honestly, I am not sure that a roof top tent is actually safer. To me if a bear or some other large animal wants to get on the roof of my jeep... Its going to happen. However, there is a sense of security being up off the ground.

Itacal

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bella Vista, Ark
First Name
John
Last Name
Henley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5TTZ
I have gone back and forth on whether I need, and can justify, a rooftop tent. I have many of the concerns raised here, but after reading through the posts and how before-purchase concerns were never an issue post-purchase, i may have to take the plunge ... I've had my eye on the 23 Zero Walkabout.