Vince
Last Name
Binder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kg7cli
Could use some advice -
The situtation:
I'm working up a budget for my truck 99 Dodge Ram 2500 V10 - which may result in selling it and getting something else - it's a matter of tradeoffs. I'm not attached to the truck and there are a number of things that I have to fix - but I'm not sure what I'd replace it with - nothing new, maybe a compact like a 2015 Colorado - if I could find one cheap enough (which I doubt).

I still haven't picked a mobile ham - I've got one of the ubiquitous (and kinda horrible) Beofangs - but when I have time to use a radio, it's my KX3. I do want to put in mobile comms - and I'll start with the GMRS. To maximize signal I'm planning NMO mounts on the cab - Yep WAY up there. So, I'm looking for antenna choices that won't end up as snapped off stubs. When I do the antenna mounts I will probably do both - pulling the headliner twice is not on my bucket list.

The Comet folds over, the Browning is short and has a spring (likely too stiff to actually help - I just don't know)

Ham:
Leaning toward the icom ID-5100A-D what ever I go with I want cross band repeat.
antenna Comet CA-2X4SR

GMRS comms:
Luiton LT-590 GMRS
Browning Antenna

CUCVDRIVER

Rank 0

Contributor II

Look at the Larson NMO150BK (VHF) ,but they make a dual band one too ... It flexes easy and I have used to for about 10 years now and now issues and great signal reports.

Reactions: Vincent Keith

Vincent Keith

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Poulsbo, Washington, United States
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Binder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kg7cli
I need a dual band for the Ham. Both for cross band repeat and to access the UHF repeaters. So probably the Larsen NMO2/70B -

Anyone have experience with antennas that have that little coil in them - seems like it would snag on small branches.

Is that a tuning coil? Man now I have to break out my antenna books - I feel like I should know this.

Reactions: CUCVDRIVER

CUCVDRIVER

Rank 0

Contributor II

I need a dual band for the Ham. Both for cross band repeat and to access the UHF repeaters. So probably the Larsen NMO2/70B -

Anyone have experience with antennas that have that little coil in them - seems like it would snag on small branches.

Is that a tuning coil? Man now I have to break out my antenna books - I feel like I should know this.

That's a good antenna! The coil is what makes it a dual band.

Reactions: Vincent Keith

empty80

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

ABQ
Member #

I'm running a TRAM 1181 (18") in the city. It looks very similar to the Larsen, as it has a tuning coil. For off-roading, I keep a Browning BR-180 (37") locked up in the back of my rig. I wouldn't worry much about it getting broken. It is fairly flexible. Both are dual band, work well with the ID-5100, and they are inexpensive.

Vincent Keith

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Poulsbo, Washington, United States
First Name
Vince
Last Name
Binder
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kg7cli
I'm running a TRAM 1181 (18") in the city. It looks very similar to the Larsen, as it has a tuning coil. For off-roading, I keep a Browning BR-180 (37") locked up in the back of my rig. I wouldn't worry much about it getting broken. It is fairly flexible. Both are dual band, work well with the ID-5100, and they are inexpensive.
Thanks. Keeping a spare seems like a good plan.

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
I just installed a Diamond 770HA on my truck over the weekend to drive my Icom ID-51a Plus2. This antenna is s bit springy, and offers a break over point driven by a spring with a pivot.

The change from my Diamond 1/4 window mounted antenna is amazing. More important, I am not driving with wires all over me! Happy Day!

Still need to figure out a way to route into the cab without drilling, but the rear sliding window works for now.

JPEG_20180819_155252.jpeg

Last edited:

WareWolf MoonWall

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Green Country, OK
First Name
WareWolf
Last Name
MoonWall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Direct Message Me..
Nice. Interesting rack / roll bar? I can't quite make out what's going on other than the antenna looks great.
That's a GoRhino Sports Bar 2.0. I have motorized a set of forward facing lights that retract into it. You can also see a GoRhino SR100 bed rack. Tried to get a picture that focuses on the antenna :)

Here is a picture from before the antenna and forward/rear lights to get a better idea. I have another thread on the lights if you wanted to see those.1522529894043.jpeg