Roof racks for full size trucks?

• HTML tutorial

crit_pw

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Silt, Colorado
Member #

I have scoured the threads and done a lot of looking online but am not seeing much in the way of a model specific roof rack for the RAM trucks. Mine is a 2016 Power Wagon with the crew cab. Is anyone running a model specific roof rack on their 4th gen RAM? If so who is it made by. Any other full size truck options are also welcomed. Pics are a definite plus. I am already planning to build a custom bed rack but was hoping maybe I could find a roof rack being produced that will meet my needs/expectations. Thanks in advance to all who can offer any help.

Reactions: EscoTerrestrial

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

Morning "crit"

I have been doing the same, sorta. We have a fiberglass shell on our 99 Super Duty Crew Cab short bed that I made a custom rack for. I made it long enough for a 2.5 meter awning and it works well.

But I would like to put a flat rack on the front of the cab mounted to the roof of the cab and you are correct manufacturers do not make mean things specifically for full US trucks.

While at Overland this year I spent some time looking just at roof racks for this and the best I found were the Front Runner aluminum racks out of South Africa. They have a US branch in the US located in the Los Angles area of So Cal. What I like about them is they can custom make a rack close to a size you need and you can choose how many cross slats you want in it. You can have it a solid bed or with opening of almost any size.

The restrictions are based on the extruded aluminum slats as they only have one design to work with. I believe they are about 4" wide?
The Side rails, front and rear rails along with the cross slats all have slots in them for hex head bolts and tie down loops some company's are making now.

They have different style of "universal" mounts to choose from, but basically we will have to drill the roofs and put in nut inserts to mount they to our roofs.

Hope this helps. Daryl

Reactions: crit_pw

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

I have scoured the threads and done a lot of looking online but am not seeing much in the way of a model specific roof rack for the RAM trucks. Mine is a 2016 Power Wagon with the crew cab. Is anyone running a model specific roof rack on their 4th gen RAM? If so who is it made by. Any other full size truck options are also welcomed. Pics are a definite plus. I am already planning to build a custom bed rack but was hoping maybe I could find a roof rack being produced that will meet my needs/expectations. Thanks in advance to all who can offer any help.
Are you looking for a permanent solution or something you can remove? Etrailer has some pretty good solutions for a "naked" roof that does not require any drilling. They also havs a nice bed rack that you can install and remove in about 10 minutes from Inno. Below is link to their site. If you are looking for a basket type rack the smittybilt defender rack is nice, you just have to add vehicle specific mounting hardware.

https://www.etrailer.com/roof-2016_Ram_1500.htm

crit_pw

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Silt, Colorado
Member #

Morning "crit"

I have been doing the same, sorta. We have a fiberglass shell on our 99 Super Duty Crew Cab short bed that I made a custom rack for. I made it long enough for a 2.5 meter awning and it works well.

But I would like to put a flat rack on the front of the cab mounted to the roof of the cab and you are correct manufacturers do not make mean things specifically for full US trucks.

While at Overland this year I spent some time looking just at roof racks for this and the best I found were the Front Runner aluminum racks out of South Africa. They have a US branch in the US located in the Los Angles area of So Cal. What I like about them is they can custom make a rack close to a size you need and you can choose how many cross slats you want in it. You can have it a solid bed or with opening of almost any size.

The restrictions are based on the extruded aluminum slats as they only have one design to work with. I believe they are about 4" wide?
The Side rails, front and rear rails along with the cross slats all have slots in them for hex head bolts and tie down loops some company's are making now.

They have different style of "universal" mounts to choose from, but basically we will have to drill the roofs and put in nut inserts to mount they to our roofs.

Hope this helps. Daryl
I appreciate the info. I like the Front Runner stuff just not too sure about drilling into the roof. I used to do it when I worked in the dealerships installing racks and such for customers and it always made me cringe drilling a hole in a perfectly good roof...lol

crit_pw

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Silt, Colorado
Member #

I ha
Are you looking for a permanent solution or something you can remove? Etrailer has some pretty good solutions for a "naked" roof that does not require any drilling. They also havs a nice bed rack that you can install and remove in about 10 minutes from Inno. Below is link to their site. If you are looking for a basket type rack the smittybilt defender rack is nice, you just have to add vehicle specific mounting hardware.

https://www.etrailer.com/roof-2016_Ram_1500.htm
I've been looking at the ETrailer site and there is a lot of stuff I like. Not totally positive if I want permanent or not yet for the roof. I am building a custom bed rack but also wanted to utilize the large roof area over the cab. The Smittybuilt basket is pretty nice as well and I have also found one from ADD (Addictive Desert Designs) that I somewhat like but they have no load ratings so I will have to research that one some more. Thanks for the help and giving me some other directions to look.

Reactions: Egan

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

I ha

I've been looking at the ETrailer site and there is a lot of stuff I like. Not totally positive if I want permanent or not yet for the roof. I am building a custom bed rack but also wanted to utilize the large roof area over the cab. The Smittybuilt basket is pretty nice as well and I have also found one from ADD (Addictive Desert Designs) that I somewhat like but they have no load ratings so I will have to research that one some more. Thanks for the help and giving me some other directions to look.
I have ADD bumpers front and rear, they make quality products but they certainly aren't cheap. Wilco has a similar roof top system along with some tailgate replacements to mount full size spare tire swing and recovery equipment and Jerry cans.

crit_pw

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Silt, Colorado
Member #

L
I have ADD bumpers front and rear, they make quality products but they certainly aren't cheap. Wilco has a similar roof top system along with some tailgate replacements to mount full size spare tire swing and recovery equipment and Jerry cans.
I love the ADD stuff! I have the HoneyBadger rear bumper and all of my Rigid Lighting has come from them. I got a chance to tour their shop back when they were much smaller 2012 if I remember right. I have been a loyal ADD fan since. Here is my ADD rear bumper.20170607_155703.jpg

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

There isn't a whole lot of options if your not willing to drill the top of your cab. There are a few universal kits available like the front runner and defender (now owned by smittybilt). I had a defender on my superduty but it required drilling 6 1/2" holes on my roof.

Sent from my SM-G930T using OB Talk mobile app

crit_pw

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Silt, Colorado
Member #

There isn't a whole lot of options if your not willing to drill the top of your cab. There are a few universal kits available like the front runner and defender (now owned by smittybilt). I had a defender on my superduty but it required drilling 6 1/2" holes on my roof.

Sent from my SM-G930T using OB Talk mobile app
That's what I have quickly learned...[emoji34]

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

L

I love the ADD stuff! I have the HoneyBadger rear bumper and all of my Rigid Lighting has come from them. I got a chance to tour their shop back when they were much smaller 2012 if I remember right. I have been a loyal ADD fan since. Here is my ADD rear bumper.View attachment 29457
I really like their stuff also, I have the Venom bumpers front and rear with Rigid lights. I just don't think I could pull the trigger on the roof rack that is no drill, because you have to get the chase rack also. You are looking at $5000 for both. It is just more than I would willing to spend. The Wilco rack is much cheaper at $1885, but does not look as good.

crit_pw

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Silt, Colorado
Member #

ADD offers several sizes of stand alone racks as well at $900 but again at this point everything is drill, drill, drill. And to do a full chase rack just for the matching roof rack...no way too much $$$! I like them but their racks just won't work with my build plans either.

Reactions: Egan

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

Stand alone racks do not include the mounting hardware, that is another $170 to $370 depending on your needs..

crit_pw

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Silt, Colorado
Member #

Stand alone racks do not include the mounting hardware, that is another $170 to $370 depending on your needs..
I know and like I said that still leaves me with drilling holes in my roof no matter the rack I choose. The one thing I know for sure is I do appreciate the advice and recommendations I have received from everyone here.

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

what about the Yakima bars that just clamp on? Then you could mount a rack on top of that......
That is one of the products they have at etrailers, I suggested them over other outlets because they have many manufacture's including Yakima pre-packaged by make and model with different types of load bars, etc. When i was looking I found it to be a much easy shopping exprience than other outlets and their prices seemed to be competitive.

crit_pw

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Silt, Colorado
Member #

what about the Yakima bars that just clamp on? Then you could mount a rack on top of that......
I have thought about the clamp on style but I worry the weight rating is too low for what I want as well as how well the clamp on style will hold up off road.