Roof rack storage ideas...let's see them!

• HTML tutorial

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Here are a couple of racks I made for my Jeep XJ and trailer. In the configuration below, the XJ will carry a pair of pelicanesqe boxes and a pair of traction boards. I have some Plano boxes that can be used too. I'm working on a separate rack for the front of the roof that will allow me to carry 2 kayaks but none of the above at the same time.

I built another rack for my trailer that carries 2 kayaks and a dry bag for all of the related stuff (seats, PDF's, etc.)

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Currently have Yakima awning, Yakima basket, and Thule cargo box. In the basket I will put my Plano box up there with misc gadgets. Inside the Thule box are my recovery boards. But still has plenty of room for stuff I want to keep locked up and protected from environment.

52884191-A9D1-4184-80EF-54FAC788ABC7.jpeg

Reactions: Brett L.

Wdfnds

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Decatur Illinois
First Name
David
Last Name
Staff
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N9sal
How do you secure the pelican cases so nobody takes off with them?

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
How do you secure the pelican cases so nobody takes off with them?
From what a I’ve seen the are bolted down from the inside of the case. Then you’d have to put a pad lock so no one can get in them.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

From what a I’ve seen the are bolted down from the inside of the case. Then you’d have to put a pad lock so no one can get in them.
Yep, that’s what I do. Of course, I don’t lock the case. If someone really wants the case, they can empty all the firewood and get a wrench to remove the nuts. I’m really not away from my vehicle much when traveling. But, if they want it that much, they can have a pelican case with holes in it:)