Rank I

Enthusiast I

Southern California, CA, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Hilo
Hello fellas,

I currently have a roof basket but want to upgrade to something solid but don't want a full size Gobi. I don't plan on using a roof top tent but I will be purchasing an awning soon.
My trips will be for up to 4 days with a family of 5 so our bulkiest items will be clothes and food. Future mods that will be attached to the rack will include a water tank for showers, extra fuel and solar. I do rock crawl quite a bit where side clearance is important.

Thanks

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I too didnt want the full meal deal Gobi, Kargo Master, Smitty or Garvin rack either. I found a company on FleaBay called EAG. They make two sizes: 1 for JK (runs from front to back of roof), 1 for JKU (runs from front to back of roof). However I bought the JK version for JKU so I could still remove the freedom panels. I have updated mine by adding custom fabricated:

ARB 6' x 6' awning brackets
Light mount tabs in front and back
Flat plate platform to attach water and fuel cans to
Quick first mounts for Ax and shovel

It attaches to the rear window hinges (does not affect hinge or window movement) and the gutters over the passenger doors. It also has rubber feet in the middle that land on the heavier reinforced side s of the roof.

I've had mine for 2 years with not a single problem.One of the mounts has some surface rust that needs blasted and re-coated which I'll do on our next 60°F day. I've taken it from Lubbock to Bozeman, MT and then for two months in Yellowstone Park. Another two trips to Taos and a one week in Ouray. Just returned from Terlingua trip last weekend. I can fit 1, 5g jerry can, 2, 6 gallon water containers, 3 Plano Sportsmen boxes, Maxx Traxx, Ax, shovel. All in all about 160lbs on this last trip. Flawless. And for about $450 it's hard to beat.

JK version

JKU version

Smittybilt has a similar oen called the Defender that has some of the attachments I had to make, available as options.20191126_112924_HDR.jpg

Hilop

Rank I

Enthusiast I

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Hilo
I too didnt want the full meal deal Gobi, Kargo Master, Smitty or Garvin rack either. I found a company on FleaBay called EAG. They make two sizes: 1 for JK (runs from front to back of roof), 1 for JKU (runs from front to back of roof). However I bought the JK version for JKU so I could still remove the freedom panels. I have updated mine by adding custom fabricated:

It attaches to the rear window hinges (does not affect hinge or window movement) and the gutters over the passenger doors. It also has rubber feet in the middle that land on the heavier reinforced side s of the roof.

I've had mine for 2 years with not a single problem.One of the mounts has some surface rust that needs blasted and re-coated which I'll do on our next 60°F day. I've taken it from Lubbock to Bozeman, MT and then for two months in Yellowstone Park. Another two trips to Taos and a one week in Ouray. Just returned from Terlingua trip last weekend. I can fit 1, 5g jerry can, 2, 6 gallon water containers, 3 Plano Sportsmen boxes, Maxx Traxx, Ax, shovel. All in all about 160lbs on this last trip. Flawless. And for about $450 it's hard to beat.

JK version

JKU version

Smittybilt has a similar oen called the Defender that has some of the attachments I had to make, available as options.View attachment 130500
Thanks for the response, my buddy is selling one of these racks too.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

If its their first version without a wind deflector, have one welded or find one to add. Mine screamed at speeds over 45mph until I added a deflector. New units like the one above come with the deflector

Hilop

Rank I

Enthusiast I

First Name
Paul
Last Name
Hilo

JK version

JKU version

Smittybilt has a similar oen called the Defender that has some of the attachments I had to make, available as options.View attachment 130500
What size awning are you using? Thanks

Adamw1212

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbus Ohio
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wohn
Member #

I too am looking at roof racks. I like the garvin just for the basket. I ordered the deep sleep air mattress for inside the Jeep but still need somewhere to store stuff. Interested into seeing what other people think of other products.

P.s. i also have a soft top on my jku so i need a full rack

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

What size awning are you using? Thanks
2m x 2.5m. (6.5' x 8')
But I am considering just running a single ARB 49" instead on the rear. The 6.5' ARB unit extends about 6-10" forward of the rack and 2" from the rear. It does not interfere with taking the freedom panels off. The 4' would run from side to side no problem. I made my own mounting brackets.