Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Livingston County, New York, United States
First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Russell
Member #

I am looking into putting a cargo rack on the Forester and was wondering if anyone has used the one that Walmart has on the shelves in their stores. I believe it is a Reese or cargo logic brand. If so what are your thoughts on it and if not what do you recommend that doesn't cost an arm or leg? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bumpo83

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marysville, OH, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Guthrie
Member #

I don’t have the Walmart rack, but do have a Rola on my Outback. Seems to work fine, but I did take a big hit in the mpgs. They are pretty affordable for what they are and seem to look a little more sporty than the Reese brand. If money wasn’t an option, I’d definitely be going for a Prinsu, front runner, or rhino rack.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I have the MaxHaul basket from amazon on my Compass. It isn't huge but it holds 2 Plano storage trunks or my Rightline gear soft storage bag. I just attach it to the factory style cross bar to keep in as low to the roof as possible. I would love to have a full length platform but there are not too many mounting locations for the cross bars so this is the best I have at the moment until I build something.
81447030_3857322637858533_875164960257212416_n.jpg

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I also went with the Rola basket for the Jeep. I love the Gobi racks but they are permanent mount and the Rola is about 1/10th the cost.

I imagine the Reese is about the same quality as the Rola. The biggest problem with all of these baskets is that they will eventually rust out. My Yakima basket had the same issue though so I don’t think any price range is immune to rust. Some sanding and a can of Rustolium was my solution for the Yakima after about 3 years of use. Rola includes some rubber sleeves to cover the connections which is nice and I read some solid reviews about them on various forums so that is why I picked it. It’s been on the truck for almost a year now and no issues.

A79D82A6-ECB6-4F85-9DAF-5499188205FF.jpeg

Reactions: RoarinRow

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I have the Rolla from Amazon as well but with the extension in it. It's easy to install and as far as affordable baskets go it seems to be decent quality. I used some silicone at the joints for the extension and on the screws to help keep water out. Definitely not a super high end baskets but for the price I like it and I like the lines of the bends for the main tubes. I think they matched the swept lines of my grand Cherokee better than others.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

We also have the Rola rack on our Outback. I like how the design fits the look of the vehicle. Definitely took a hit on mileage and lots of wind noise which drives my Wife crazy. After about a year in the Florida salt air it started to rust at every weld. Pulled it off, cleaned it up and a can of Rustoleum and iEDBA7A6E-BD6F-489F-A318-66D646641AD5.jpegt was good to go. If you get the Rola make sure you seal all the screw holes or it will get water in the tubes.

Reactions: RoarinRow

OverlandingArizona

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Arizona
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Wade
Member #

I have the Reese on my WK2 and I love it. Works just fine for all my needs and I have my Rotopax 4 gallon, ARB awning, and recovery boards all mounted to it. Reese and Rola are partner companies I believe. I also have a reese tow hitch installed and has been excellent as well. I wouldn't think of it as "wal mart brand" or anything, it's just a quality yet affordable cargo basket.

Bairdjer78

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Yakima, WA, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Baird
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7BCM
I have a Smittybilt defender 4.5x4.5x4 on my JKU. Fuel mileage took a pretty good hit when it’s loaded up. Definitely worth it for the ability to carry more cargo.21C94BBB-4244-402F-9E4B-3BB84A0DF699.jpeg

Last edited:

EXPO_D1

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Bakersfield, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Coyle
Member #

My recommendation is to check local sellers(ie fb market place, offer up, swap meets or yardsales). I bought a second hand arb rack for very little and it's served me well. Second hand quality parts will hold up and last.

Reactions: Downs