Roof rack or Hitch rack?

• HTML tutorial

Influencer II

Post this because I'm in the market for one... So.. which do you prefer? Why?

I'm leaning more towards the hitch rack because its supposedly more fuel efficient, only downside, being that it can get snagged on certain obstacles....

SeguineJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Dickson City, PA
Member #

Working with the Game Wardens locally here, we use folding game racks. If you are going to go offroad and on trails and put your equipment on it. I would be highly against it. I mean, size, proper guiding and spotting can make the world of difference but we tend to hit these racks on everything even when they are folded up and not in use. You're extending your vehicle that much more and need to make sure you are compensating that when you are using them.

I used one on my 4Runner to help keep the dead and bloody things when hunting. I scraped it maybe once or twice on a trail but I mean you can use and avoid them. If were talking overlanding and gear, I would've been more towards a roof rack then. But heavy things not having to go high, like dead bears, the hitch rack is awesome.

Nothing saying you can't do both though. I believe there is one Overlander on here who does use a hitch rack, I feel like I have seen it in pictures but I could be wrong.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

What are you planning to carry, what type of trails, and what do you drive?

A hitch mounted rack will severely reduce your departure angle. If it's stacked with stuff, you may have an issue accessing gear in the back of the vehicle, depending on how the tailgate opens. Sometimes they can wobble from a slightly loose fit so make sure everything is secure. They have a smaller footprint and therefore won't hold as much stuff as a full roof rack.

A roof rack will cost a lot more than the hitch mounted rack. It will increase the overall height so parking garages can be an issue. Wind noise and slightly reduced fuel economy can be an issue. A loaded roof rack will also increase your CoG (Center of Gravity) so those off camber situations can be more worrisome.

My preference is a roof rack. I can mount lights, both forward and rear facing, fuel/water cans, camp kitchen and firewood to name a few. On the sides I can have a shovel or Maxtrax. They also make a great platform for taking pictures or mounting a GoPro camera.

Reactions: SeguineJ

Influencer II

Working with the Game Wardens locally here, we use folding game racks. If you are going to go offroad and on trails and put your equipment on it. I would be highly against it. I mean, size, proper guiding and spotting can make the world of difference but we tend to hit these racks on everything even when they are folded up and not in use. You're extending your vehicle that much more and need to make sure you are compensating that when you are using them.

I used one on my 4Runner to help keep the dead and bloody things when hunting. I scraped it maybe once or twice on a trail but I mean you can use and avoid them. If were talking overlanding and gear, I would've been more towards a roof rack then. But heavy things not having to go high, like dead bears, the hitch rack is awesome.

Nothing saying you can't do both though. I believe there is one Overlander on here who does use a hitch rack, I feel like I have seen it in pictures but I could be wrong.
You do have a point when it comes to departure angles. thats one thing i'm worried about.

Influencer II

What are you planning to carry, what type of trails, and what do you drive?

A hitch mounted rack will severely reduce your departure angle. If it's stacked with stuff, you may have an issue accessing gear in the back of the vehicle, depending on how the tailgate opens. Sometimes they can wobble from a slightly loose fit so make sure everything is secure. They have a smaller footprint and therefore won't hold as much stuff as a full roof rack.

A roof rack will cost a lot more than the hitch mounted rack. It will increase the overall height so parking garages can be an issue. Wind noise and slightly reduced fuel economy can be an issue. A loaded roof rack will also increase your CoG (Center of Gravity) so those off camber situations can be more worrisome.

My preference is a roof rack. I can mount lights, both forward and rear facing, fuel/water cans, camp kitchen and firewood to name a few. On the sides I can have a shovel or Maxtrax. They also make a great platform for taking pictures or mounting a GoPro camera.
I plan on carrying fuel, Maxtrax, shovel, axe. Trail, hard to say at this time, but something in the sierras/mojave? 4th gen 4runner.

What you've said is basically what i've been thinking about... pros and cons of both, which is exactly why I came here to ask. hahaha

That said, you're making me lean towards getting a roof basket, since I already do have the rack portion of it. :)

Just wondering though...

Is there a rule of thumb on how much we should carry on the roof, at max, as to not increase the CoG too much?

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I am taking the 3rd option with my bumper build. I found a way to keep my 33" spare under the vehicle on my 3rd gen 4runner, so instead of a swing-out tire carrier, I will be building a swing-out cargo carrier! Imagine a simple tray that is as wide as the hatch, is about 15" deep from the back of the hatch, but with the bottom level with the top of the bumper. More simply, imagine having a swing-out carrier that held nothing but jerry cans, and you have a rough picture of what I will be doing. My intent is to carry my 45L RTIC Cooler, my 7Gal water box, and a 5Gal jerry can back there.

It obviously won't have the capacity of a roof rack, but my goal was to keep from heaving 50lb objects higher than my waist, while keeping them fully accessible without movibg them. Plus, it will be high enough and shallow enough that overall departure angle will still be limited by my large spare rather than the cargo rack. Finally, with only an 18gal tank, I am already pretty limited on ultimate travel distance. So, I would rather avoid the 3-4mpg hit on the highway from having a cargo rack stacked a foot high with gear.

All that said, if your offroading requires the clearance, or your camping requires the equipment space, a roof rack is really the best option of the two. For big trips, we will likely be taking both 4runners which gives us a bit more usable space for gear :P .