Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
How many people can you sleep comfortably in your RTT ? I think 2 is about all. Does your wife go with you ? If not all's well but if she goes with you where do you put your kids or kid ? Single guys or couples may do fine with an RTT if your young enough to get up on the roof. I still think that for most people (not hunters) they are a fad that will go away with the older generation in favor of some kind of trailer rig (home built or otherwise) . Personally I could build a nice trailer rig for about the same as your spending on the RTT.
Because I am older than you and single, I prefer either sleeping in my rig if I'm hunting, in a tent when I'm boon docking, or in my small trailer when traveling or camping or fishing. It takes all kinds of ways to do everything. A trailer will haul all you goodies safely and securely, where an open bed truck leaves your stuff vulnerable to theft.
You might be able to build a trailer for $1,000, that's what I paid for my Overland Vehicle Systems RTT, but I sure don't have the skills to do that. Like I said, everyone has their reasons to have what they like. I have no worries about theft, I have a Diamondback cover over the bed of my truck, the most secure bed cover I know. So strong you can haul an ATV on top of it, I'm 250 lbs and can walk on it. Breaking into it would be as difficult as breaking into a trailer, maybe even more difficult as there are no windows to break. My RTT is 63" wide by 96" long and easily sleeps 3 adults. Just for reference a typical queen mattress is 60" wide. Most of the time I'll just have myself or one of my sons with me. Some day i'll be able to afford a trailer and when I do I should be able to get my wife to go camping with me. She's a city girl so even my RTT hasn't tempted her to go with me yet, I know a trailer with a nice bed would get here out there. I'd still keep the RTT for my boys or eventually grandkids when they come along!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
You might be able to build a trailer for $1,000, that's what I paid for my Overland Vehicle Systems RTT, but I sure don't have the skills to do that. Like I said, everyone has their reasons to have what they like. I have no worries about theft, I have a Diamondback cover over the bed of my truck, the most secure bed cover I know. So strong you can haul an ATV on top of it, I'm 250 lbs and can walk on it. Breaking into it would be as difficult as breaking into a trailer, maybe even more difficult as there are no windows to break. My RTT is 63" wide by 96" long and easily sleeps 3 adults. Just for reference a typical queen mattress is 60" wide. Most of the time I'll just have myself or one of my sons with me. Some day i'll be able to afford a trailer and when I do I should be able to get my wife to go camping with me. She's a city girl so even my RTT hasn't tempted her to go with me yet, I know a trailer with a nice bed would get here out there. I'd still keep the RTT for my boys or eventually grandkids when they come along!
I think in your case an RTT is perfect as long as your wife and son don't go with you at the same time. Many wives don't. My wife would not go camping no matter what equipment I had. She wanted to stay in motels, it would cost to much to take her with me. Because of that attitude we just didn't go at all. Wasn't worth a week of hell after I got back from the hunt, to ruffle her feathers by leaving her at home.
Anyway I see your point and wasn't trying to twist your arm, just a different twist on things.

Reactions: Viking1204