Roof Rack Help

• HTML tutorial

aaa247

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Long Beach, CA
Member #

I'm getting a Snugtop shell put on my Ram truck (similar to the picture) and I've been looking for a roof rack/basket for the top. I really want the ARB steel basket http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-Steel-Roof-Rack-Basket-73-X-49-Inch-3800020-P3442.aspx. The problem is their mounts are vehicle specific so I need to find mounts that will fit in the tracks on the shell (used for mounting Thule or Yakima racks) and mount to the ARB basket. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

04a673b9-cb95-44b2-b49d-85fb9525a213.jpg

XL.Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Phelan CA
First Name
Jarrod
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Don't know if they have mounts for the shell or not. I've been looking also. There are some other options though. Check out BajaRack's basket. Look in the universal category and there is one that is specifically for mounting to the tracks on a camper shell.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

PinnaclePete

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Maumelle, Arkansas
Member #

Soooo many options. I put a Baja rack on my Yakima bars. Bars, racks, baskets...depends on what you're putting up there. Be aware of clearance issues.
Baja.JPG

aaa247

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Long Beach, CA
Member #

Last edited:

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

@aaa247

Are you looking for a rack, or a basket? The Yakima LoadWarrior or MegaWarrior, each with an 18" extension make an excellent basket that are widely used, and a lot less expensive than the platform style roof racks. Check RackAttack.com for options to mount to your capper.

For platform racks, take a look at Prinsu Design. They make a Toprack for Leer, ARE, Snugtop, etc. They recommend attaching them to a Yakima or Thule track system. http://www.prinsudesignstudio.com/2005---2017-toyota-tacoma

The Prinsu is all aluminum, which is an advantage for us here in the rust belt. That might not be a concern for you. I just installed a Prinsu full length rack on my 4Runner a few weeks ago, and it is really a solid, quality design. Like all of the rack manufacturers, his 6-8 week lead time is very optimistic. Really expect 10-12, which is much less than what a Baja wait would be.

Good luck!

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
You cannot go wrong with the Frontrunner. I have literally beat mine but good, and it is holding up strong, no rattles and no rust. Free shipping. Assembly is easy. And they ship the next day. It is also very cool that anything and everything will bolt right on it.. Shovel, Awning, Propane bottle, solar panel, eye bolts for ratchet strapping the tent down, treds, etc etc.. Did I mention it is very quiet? It is as long as one doesn't install the additional expo rails in the front. Mine are installed in the rear as they give me something to hang on to when stepping up onto my tailgate.. I could go on and on, but I'll stop now. Good luck with your final decision...
Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 8.06.45 AM.png

Reactions: Tim

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

I made my own which is no real help I know. But my shell has a reinforced center that look to be 3/4" thick if not more does yours? I made radius ed feet to match the shells out top roof to side transition and then made standoffs up and off of them.

Also once you decide on a rack use Windshield adhesive /sealant between the mounts and the shell! Stuff works great and lasts in the tube for a long time. Buy it at a automotive paint supply house.

I spent some time looking at roof racks at Overland last month and really like the Front Runner system off the front to back bolt to roof rails. You can pretty much mount any rack at any position with them. I am wanting to put a flat front runner style rack on the front half of our F250 CC roof.