Rocky Road Outfitters Almost KOed our trip

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

Mike W

US MidWest Region Director
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ankeny, IA, USA
Member #

Ham Callsign
KE0GCN
How does it mount? What is that rack rated for? 800lb dynamic is a shit ton man.. might consider redistributing the load if you can.

Reactions: lokoperu

offroadohio

Rank IV

Advocate II

The stuff I have purchased from Rocky Road in the past was pretty high-quality so how about some more details on what exactly failed.

During that you're new to this site with only five post and one of the first five post is blaming the company for your failure

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

PNW EXPLR

NorthWest Region Member Rep Southeast Washington
Supporter +

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham Callsign
KJ7LYZ
Sorry this happened to you. But we can all learn from this. These types of failures typically develop over time. This is why it is critical to perform vehicle inspections at various stages of a mission. If it doesn't fit just right, doesn't look right, doesn't sound right, IT IS NOT RIGHT!

This is why I try to perform all of my own maintenance to my vehicles. Don't think for a minute, that that guy making $8 an hour at the QuickyLube cares that a bolt is missing on your skidplate that's protecting your transmission pan!

Reactions: KYRenegade858

[DO]Ron

Rank V

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
Member #

Sometimes the humor is lost on forums as well..

Anyway.. yea just blaiming companies without really saying what went wrong is kinda meh. No idea how the wheels, fuel, traction things and everything was on there so kinda easy to just film the aftermath.
Btw, free advice.. Wheels and full fuel cans are heavy as shit anyway.. might be better not mounting them on the roof to start with..

RichieFromBoston

Rank V

Influencer I

Nahant Ma.
Member #

what happened after coming down a serious Staircase of rock in colorado, i noticed the roof racks had both titled hard to driver, the bolts had pulled from the sheetmetal, and the spare tire two jerry cans and a hi lift were too much all squared away just rolled out of MOAB tonight. no worse for wear. cage and to the frame rack is going on soon as I touch down in Mass. again

NVBEAR

Rank I

Contributor II

Carson City , Nevada 89701
Member #

Was the weight exceeded ? So often do we guesstimate the true weight of our gear. I know I did on the 4runner which end result I had to buy heavier duty rear coils for the 4 runner. Remember if we take our ratings to the max it pushes the limit due to the fact these ratings don't account for force when we are on the move. Sorry for your bad luck but yes I do understand your frustration.Hope things work out for you are you coming any further west?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

F4T XJ

Rank V

Advocate II

London, United Kingdom
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Savage
Member #

I have some Rocky Road products and very happy with them that said they show your vehicle with similar weight on the rack on their website. Of course it could be that it wasn't fitted properly but for piece of mind it's something you should take up with them.

libertyrack1.jpg

Reactions: BD_P4X and 9Mike2

Gary Stevens

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

I do not think there was any ill will posted by the OP, just commenting as you go. That said, Frontrunner installed by RTT on my Yakima rack system. They were really clear about telling me to always check all the nuts and bolts, and too carry tools to tighen anything up. I am always checking. Sure enough one set of awning bolts got loose. Found them during one of my driveway walk arounds, fixed that, done.

Reactions: Captain Chaos

Hapkijo

Rank IV

Member III

Brooklyn, NY 11232, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Lalanne
Member #

Good thing it was caught before further damage occurred. When I use to ride motorcycles, it was taught that you should inspect your bike before every ride. It is good practice to look over your rig frequently. Thanks for the reminder.