Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

Hey all,

Does anyone have good camp spot locations (preferably free, since most campsites seem to be reserved) in or around the Rocky Mountain National Park area? We're trekking up from Colorado Springs and have never been to RMNP, so I'm not sure what to expect, but the pictures I've seen look great. We'll be heading out on the 14th this month.

We're planning on going up Pole Hill, Old Fall River Road, and Trail Ridge Road. Are there any other good trails we should be looking at?

For hiking, we're looking at Emerald Lake, Gem Lake Trail, and am still doing research. Any good ones that preferably aren't packed with people?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
Hey all,

Does anyone have good camp spot locations (preferably free, since most campsites seem to be reserved) in or around the Rocky Mountain National Park area? We're trekking up from Colorado Springs and have never been to RMNP, so I'm not sure what to expect, but the pictures I've seen look great. We'll be heading out on the 14th this month.

We're planning on going up Pole Hill, Old Fall River Road, and Trail Ridge Road. Are there any other good trails we should be looking at?

For hiking, we're looking at Emerald Lake, Gem Lake Trail, and am still doing research. Any good ones that preferably aren't packed with people?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!
Man I spent a lot of time up there as a young boy. I don't have any Camp spots I can give you but shure wood like to see some photos of your trip when you were done. Beautiful country up there.

CampWithChin

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

Have you check freecampsites dot net? There is no free camping inside RMNP. Only outside the NP. The west side RMNP has National forest which has a few camp spot.

If you have smartphone, try get iOverlander app.

Last edited:

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
South of the park I can recommend Camp Dick. It costs but is pretty and away from the traffic. West side of the park has some decent camping but all are pay. If you want less Grizwalds, go up the Poudre. Maybe Pengre Park.

Chris Miller

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Dallas, Texas
Member #

It’s a coupe hours from Colorado Srpings but the Twin Lakes area near Leadville and Aspen is amaizing camping some easy access spots and some spots need higher clearance 4x4 to get to

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
We just got back from Grand Lake(west entrance to RMNP) 2 weeks ago. It was beautiful. Willow Creek, Arapaho Bay, Cutthroat Bay and Sunset Point are on the lake and minutes from the west entrance. Run by the Arapaho Nat Forest and the BLM with camping fee $21 to $24.
One of my favorite backcountry roads was Stillwater Pass. It's about 25 miles with the 1st half with overlooks of Grand Lake and Lake Granby. The road had literally dozens of dispersed campsites, many of which had spectacular views. Epic. Great 4 wheeling and the dispersed camping is FREE.
Stillwater road.JPG
Stillwater Road

Stillwater valley.JPG
Stillwater valley view. The place is drop dead gorgeous with plenty of campsites.

Mike474

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Stillwater, MN
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Hausken
Member #

I just got back from RMNP. If you plan on parking at any of the major trail heads to hike go early the place is crowded. There is a lot of good hikes out of Bear lake once you get past the crowds it opens up. Sky pond is a nice hike about 10 miles round trip but worth it. The Alpine visitor center is a zoo lots of cars no parking. We drove up the old fall river road but didn't stop at the center lot full.

Fortis Overland

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Kelly
Member #

I just got back from RMNP. If you plan on parking at any of the major trail heads to hike go early the place is crowded. There is a lot of good hikes out of Bear lake once you get past the crowds it opens up. Sky pond is a nice hike about 10 miles round trip but worth it. The Alpine visitor center is a zoo lots of cars no parking. We drove up the old fall river road but didn't stop at the center lot full.
We just made the decision to skip RMNP this next week and instead head to Moab. We don't want to get caught in the rain up there when hiking. Going to start a new thread seeing people's opinions on Rimrocker Trail