Rockhounding / gold panning /metal detecting

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

grubworm

Rank V

Member III

Thibodaux, LA, USA
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Ham Callsign
WRMA515
Service Branch
USN-Submarines
wood hunting, of course and we do collect a fair amount of rocks as well. the wife will take smaller rocks and put them in resin or wrap them with wire and make a necklace or something like that. neat way of having an actual keepsake of an area we visited. she'll also bring back rocks and put them in her flower pots for decoration and we've been hitting arkansas a good bit over the last few years and have gone to the crystal mines in the southwest area of the state and have a bunch of nice big crystals. there is one big rock the wife keeps as a door stop...so every time i stump my toe on it, i can remember our trip.
i know a lot of agates can be cut and polished in a tumbler to look really nice...we haven't gotten that far yet.
rocks and gems are cool to collect. i still have a bunch of rocks i collected from places when i was a kid.

@Smileyshaun , with your shop and nice stash of wood, you can make some really nice display cases for her.

Last edited:

Smileyshaun

Rank V

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

wood hunting, of course and we do collect a fair amount of rocks as well. the wife will take smaller rocks and put them in resin or wrap them with wire and make a necklace or something like that. neat way of having an actual keepsake of an area we visited. she'll also bring back rocks and put them in her flower pots for decoration and we've been hitting arkansas a good bit over the last few years and have gone to the crystal mines in the southwest area of the state and have a bunch of nice big crystals. there is one big rock the wife keeps as a door stop...so every time i stump my toe on it, i can remember our trip.
i know a lot of agates can be cut and polished in a tumbler to look really nice...we haven't gotten that far yet.
rocks and gems are cool to collect. i still have a bunch of rocks i collected from places when i was a kid.
i originally thought having the wife collect rocks on our trips would keep her out of the over-priced souvenir shops.....that didn't work, but the rocks are a cool thing to have, especially when they have a story behind them.

@Smileyshaun , with your shop and nice stash of wood, you can make some really nice display cases for her.
well she wants to make sure wrapped jewelry and stuff but ya a display case would be cool . Almost at the point of using the little woods hop again just need to sell off or donate my table saw and do some rearranging and I’ll be back to making dust .

Reactions: grubworm

TahoePPV

Rank VI

Member III

Buda, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Did a bit of that when I convinced my daughter to go to Wyoming with me a few years ago. We were kayaking and stopped for a break.

84704141-9178-4197-B2D5-A664BCD287F8.jpeg

Oneandthree

Rank II

Pathfinder III

Chesapeake, Chesapeake city, Virginia, United States
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Delany
Member #

My youngest sons favorite thing to do when we are beach combing is to find a “worry rock” he will find one then see another and toss the first one And on and on. Then it ends up in the washer. Lol

minengr

Rank 0

Contributor I

Harrisburg, IL, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Roethe
With a degree in Mining Engineering (and enough geology classes I could have had a minor), I've got more rocks than I care to admit. Never made it there when I lived out that way, but I heard good things about Garnet Mt. near Ely NV. I did get some fluorite from Gabbs, NV and some turquoise near Tonopah, NV.