Enthusiast II

Maricopa County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tinsley
Member #

What’s up guys and gals!!!

Curious as to who uses a hi lift jack.... if you use one what are your lift points?

Not to long ago I had some made and welded to the frame (some may disagree) and was wondering if you all use them as a lift point or not?!?IMG_6743.JPG

I do drive a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab... I have seen the rear hitch used. I do have some tow hooks as well in front maybe I could use (tough to see on picture)?56651135304__5B1C9CBC-70C7-44E3-9B04-F1BBF65D135F.JPG

Reactions: SaltyJinx

TnK1

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Hollywood park, Tx
Member #

As long as the sliders are well built and mounted good on the truck then you shouldn’t have an issue using them to lift the vehicle. Be aware of where and how you lift because if something goes wrong it’s very likely to damage the truck, I had a friend that sent one all the way through his door. With that incident in mind I would suggest lifting on the rear kick out whenever possible.

AZAdventurer

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Maricopa County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tinsley
Member #

Ya I was a bit nervous about the question. I don’t think there would be any issue with the integrity of the build. The fabricator builds cages and accessories for utvs and prerunners. I like that a hi-lift could be mounted somewhat out of the way HOWEVER I may just get an aluminum jack.

TnK1

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Hollywood park, Tx
Member #

Yea if it’s good enough to drop your truck on a rock and live then you shouldn’t have an issue lifting from it, just use good judgement when placing it as to not tear something up. As far as mounting, I haven’t tried this with my truck yet, I had the idea of mounting the jack up over the wheel well underneath the rail of the bed with monkey grips or something like that and fill up that dead space.Then you could just reach over the bed and grab it, if you can reach it of course.

Reactions: AZAdventurer

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I've used sliders, the hitch, and bumpers. If they are decently well-built, you shouldnt have any issues whatsoever.

Far and away, though, the safest option has been lifting from the wheel. I havent actually owned a floor jack for over a year now--I simply lift the tire and place a jack stand underneath (like you would anyways), and have never had any issues. It has worked on every vehicle I've tried, and has nearly zero risk of slipping or falling over, unlike lifting from a bumper or slider.

HiLiftLiftMateWheel.jpg

Last edited:

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
On my vehicle, I can use the sliders to lift the vehicle. But I have to make sure my door is open. Otherwise, I’ll punch a square hole in my door. Like someone else said, if it’s strong enough to slam on a rock, it should be strong enough to jack the vehicle up. Just be careful because usually sliders are smooth on the bottom and it’s pretty easy for a hi lift to slide out from under a slider if your in some sort of off camber situation. IMG_5182.JPG IMG_5470.JPG

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Exactly why I had my rock sliders custom made and welded to my frame rails. My rig is a heavy ol' girl though, so I needed something I could count on to be solid. I have used the sliders for hi-lifts as well as tow points a time or two.
They make adaptors now.....JACK-MATE that allow a hi lift to Jack on the slider with minimum risk of slipping. There are 1 or 2 other companies that make competing products. As stated, you have to have well designed sliders made for heavy pick-up's that are frame mounted, that will support without bending when substantial weight is applied.

Reactions: AZAdventurer