• HTML tutorial

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

Hello all,

One of the downsides of owning an older Silverado, is the absence of readily buyable, or findable for that matter, rock sliders.

So I've just come to the conclusion I'll make my own. But I'd like to see how they're attached to other vehicles. This picture has been impossible to find too.

I'm looking for the relationship to the body mount bolts, frame rails and such. My truck weighs close to 5500 lbs and I wouldn't be comfortable with resting that kinda weight on body mount bolts.

If another member with a full size truck has them, that's preferable but I'll also be equally pleased with mid-sized and jeeps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using OB Talk mobile app

Truckerbizz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Reno NV
Member #

Hello all,

One of the downsides of owning an older Silverado, is the absence of readily buyable, or findable for that matter, rock sliders.

So I've just come to the conclusion I'll make my own. But I'd like to see how they're attached to other vehicles. This picture has been impossible to find too.

I'm looking for the relationship to the body mount bolts, frame rails and such. My truck weighs close to 5500 lbs and I wouldn't be comfortable with resting that kinda weight on body mount bolts.

If another member with a full size truck has them, that's preferable but I'll also be equally pleased with mid-sized and jeeps.

I have the same problem, but im gunna get someone to fab them and just weld it to the frame

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

002.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 007.JPG

These are the mounts for my White Knuckle Off Road sliders. Hope these pictures help.... sorry for the mud! The horizontal bolts on the front 2 mounts pass through the frame and the nut goes up against a large .125 thick backing plate.

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

Yeah I've seen those before but they look like what's currently on my truck, and I've got thin walled step up bars. Plus I was wanting to put steps on mine, just enough to where they can still be used as step up bars.

Thank you for the pictures, they exactly what I was after

jwhughes3

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

San Antonio, TX
First Name
John
Last Name
Hughes
Member #

In my WJ, I had bashed the rockers up in rock sessions. I didn't want to lose clearance so cut out my existing sheet metal rocker panels and welded in 1/4" 2x2" tubing angled on ends with 1/8" plate. I just tied it to the pinch weld area with 3/16" flat plate underneath as a larger support and sliding area. Doesn't quite reach the frame, but will spread impacts over such a large area I am not worried. The WJ weighs close to 5000lbs now with the bumpers, armor and upgrades. IMG_6238.JPG

Reactions: Kelly

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Elementary point here, make sure to make a clear distinction between rock sliders and side steps.

Side steps typically mounted to the body are not suitable to slide a 5500 lb vehicle across a boulder. That's when they become "damage multipliers".

The Jeeps shown above are sliders, heavy enough to bounce off a rock. These are attached to the body due to lack of frame locations.

Bolt the slider directly to the frame when possible, welding to the frame is the next option but less desirable, avoid welding to the frame if possible.
There should be enough spots to bolt to, or create U-brackets to facilitate bolting them on.

jwhughes3

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor I

San Antonio, TX
First Name
John
Last Name
Hughes
Member #

Yes - mine do not stick out enough to even get your toe on. lol They are literally a replacement for rockers that took too much abuse. We didn't weld to the frame, such as it were - because the unibody frame section was a good 8-10" inboard yet from the rockers - I know many slider designs have bolt on supports that tie across - but I felt that my design was simply reinforcing the existing rocker design with thicker metal than stock and would hold up for my my intended purposes.

Note that cutting apart your vehicle, you take upon yourself the entire risk and responsibility of the consequences of said actions. To quote my Dad "Do as I say, not as I do".

;)

John

druff6991

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Carlsbad NM
Member #

I know my step up bars aren't sliders. But I've seen a JK with sliders that had steps on them. The step shot an inch to the side but not down. Just kinda something to get your foot on

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Weld it right to the frame. Its easy enough to build if you have a bender/welder or a friend with bender/welder. And if you dont, you could go to Harbor Freight and buy a pipe bender AND a welding machine for under $200. The quantity of 1 1/2" or 2" pipe you would need would be about $100 AND you would still have plenty of money left to get some good beer, hot dogs and hamburgers for the project. Buying any pre-built rails/steps will still cost you a bunch. My way will leave you with a welding machine and a bender for more kool custom projects. :tonguewink:

Im cheap and I enjoy building things...lol

P1010700.JPG

P1010695.JPG

Steve510212

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Hello all,

Try "Chassis Unlimited". They make prefab slider kits to get you in the right direction.

Sent from my SM-T817V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: druff6991

Darthbaggins

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Acworth, GA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Cromartie
Member #

I know I'm planning on ditching the stock T4R side-steps (as having them have prevented me from wanting to try certain trails - don't want to damage them nor the body w/out proper armor)

I was looking at Addicted Off-Road's sliders (weld-on) since knowing my luck I can see bolt-ons sheering off etc. .