Rank III

Enthusiast II

Michigan
First Name
Derrin
Last Name
Derrick
Member #

I'm curious about rock lights. I know that some people use them just for show (and that's cool if it's your thing), but I'm more interested in how helpful they are on the trail and at camp. Those of you who have them, are they worth it? Are they useful? Would you do it again or will you on your next rig? Advice on specific lights? Cheap or spring for top dollar?
I'm driving a 3rd gen 4Runner and like to do some light light wheeling on the weekends when I'm not on a trip. I live in the upper Midwest, so rock-crawling isn't really done often.
Thanks for your help and Merry Christmas to you all!20201222_134935.jpg

OVRLNDFX4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Erwin
Last Name
Namoc
I wanted to ask the same exact thing. but i wanted to use them for side lights for my roof rack. nothing too bright but would serve as access lights should you need side lighting on the trails.

Reactions: probablytheguy

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@Tackleberry

I'm not sure how useful they are on the trail. We try to be off the hard stuff and in camp for the night before the sun has fully set.

I can say that in one group I was out with a guy had them in his wheelwells and on the inner frame walls. the set he had could vary in brightness so he would set them fairly low and they made great camp lighting for not tripping when walking around at night. The light was soft enough and reflected off the ground that it did not blind you when just walking around.

Boort

Reactions: OvrlndXPlore

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

I have had a full set sitting in the box for years, I was saving them for my Jeep but I can't wait to install them on the Ram this spring.
The added ground light can't hurt on those pitch black nights.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I am in the no group, I use a magnetic flash lights in camp and a try to be set up by dark. If my spotter needs a light that’s a flashlight and headlight thing.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
I used a set of generic amazon "off road" lights that are typically used on a bumper or the like. I have one mounted just in front of the gas tank up out of the way that shines forward and another that is mounted to the rear bumper protected by the receiver hitch that shines backward, both are on the same circuit and controlled by an in cab switch. The majority of the time I use it for backup light but they work ok as trail lights as well.

Reactions: RoarinRow

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Works for me for base camp lights. I don't have them in wheel wells as you can see from the picture. I have them underneath for better visibility when getting in/out of camper shell, not for night rock crawling, which this big girl doesn't do lol.

IMG_4766.jpg

Reactions: Downs

Fairbro

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Burlingame, CA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KW6WJF
I have a set and I would say they're only useful if you need them. That sounds facetious, but if you're on the trail at night and need a spotter they're very useful. I usually try to set up camp before dark and don't feel the need to use them in camp - appropriately positioned magnetic flashlights do the job for us.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I find them most useful in the snow and if a nighttime repair is needed , I’m also in the “try to be in camp before dark group “ . I went the super cheap route and just got some like these D894531B-3284-42F1-B6CB-B0853514AB5E.png
And ran a cheap led harness and just ran a power wire down the frame on both sides . For mounts I just cut some angle iron to size and drilled holes in them . I mostly did it this way because it was the cheapest option and if I broke a light I could easily replace it and I wanted the freedom to mount them wherever I wanted