Rock climbing/ Bouldering

• HTML tutorial

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

Anyone else rock climb on here? Alot of my weekend trips have involved a little bit of climbing in some form.. Im big into bouldering, but i also like sport climbing. It would be cool to meet up with some people here to do some trails, and some climbing as well.

The Orbs Rocktown, GA
12983422_10101647136911606_2521236142504281059_o.jpg
Return of the Manimal, Red River Gorge KY
11188256_10101286914530146_7135348960041466778_n.jpg

scubasteve2002

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

Anyone else rock climb on here? Alot of my weekend trips have involved a little bit of climbing in some form.. Im big into bouldering, but i also like sport climbing. It would be cool to meet up with some people here to do some trails, and some climbing as well.

The Orbs Rocktown, GA
View attachment 12421
Return of the Manimal, Red River Gorge KY
View attachment 12422
I really want to go to the gorge. Been gym climbing for a while but never got the chance to head outdoors yet.

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

I really want to go to the gorge. Been gym climbing for a while but never got the chance to head outdoors yet.
The Red is nice... youre not far away at all. Youre super close to WV too... im jealous. The nearest quality rock climbing for me is a 6hr drive. If you like sport climbing head to the Red, or the New river gorge in WV. If you like bouldering check out Coopers rock in WV. Im sure ill plan a trip there in the spring. Ill try and remember to get on here and let you know when the time comes.

Reactions: OverlandArchie

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I have never tried rock climbing other than scrambling while on hikes. Our daughter does the indoor stuff in Seattle.

September 2015, while on our first cross-country trip, we spent a day hiking at Smith Rock State Park, in Oregon. What an amazing place, and the Mecca of rock climbers everywhere. If you are ever in the area, be sure to stop.

raundhaus

Rank III

Advocate II

I live about an hour from Smith Rock and climb there often, though not as often as I wish lately. If anyone wants to meet up, I have the rope and hardware and would be happy for the excuse to get out!

Sent from my SM-T560NU using OB Talk mobile app

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

I live about an hour from Smith Rock and climb there often, though not as often as I wish lately. If anyone wants to meet up, I have the rope and hardware and would be happy for the excuse to get out!

Sent from my SM-T560NU using OB Talk mobile app
Ill get out there someday. I had a friend from michigan who just spent a month at smith rock. He loved it.

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I really like bouldering. A friend got me into it, but when I moved I never found a new place to go. Also I was using his gear. :smirk:

NZ4runner

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sterling Heights MI
Member #

I really like bouldering. A friend got me into it, but when I moved I never found a new place to go. Also I was using his gear. :smirk:
As far as i know theres alot of really good bouldering in southern illinos. Ive never been climbing there yet, but ive heard about some deep water soloing that id like to drive down there for. Kindkaid lake is one of the places ive heard about... They even have a big comp called Holy Boulders in the area. All of that shouldnt be too far from you.

Reactions: Vyscera

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

As far as i know theres alot of really good bouldering in southern illinos. Ive never been climbing there yet, but ive heard about some deep water soloing that id like to drive down there for. Kindkaid lake is one of the places ive heard about... They even have a big comp called Holy Boulders in the area. All of that shouldnt be too far from you.
I'm going to look those up, Thanks! I still have some chalk around here somewhere....

Veritablehatter

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Boston, MA
Member #

Went to gyms for a while when I was down in NYC, but I've never been on live rock.

I've gotta give a look up this way and see if there are any good spots in MA.

SCrunner

Rank I

Contributor III

Santa Cruz, CA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
M
Hey everyone! I was curious if anyone knows of any fun rock climbing or bouldering locations for beginner to moderate climbers I could stumble upon while hitting some trails? Whether you've seen someone climbing or know every inch of the walls I'd love to hear it.

I live in Santa Cruz, CA so anywhere in Northern California is ideal but ANY other outdoor spots you know of are greatly appreciated.

Matt

jeepsnstuff

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sandia Park new mexico
Member #

Hey everyone! I was curious if anyone knows of any fun rock climbing or bouldering locations for beginner to moderate climbers I could stumble upon while hitting some trails? Whether you've seen someone climbing or know every inch of the walls I'd love to hear it.

I live in Santa Cruz, CA so anywhere in Northern California is ideal but ANY other outdoor spots you know of are greatly appreciated.

Matt
Check out mountain project it will show you what is in your area.

Reactions: SCrunner

Stonecutter

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Prescott, AZ, USA
Member #

Hey everyone, yep the primary purpose of all of my truck builds have been to go climbing with my wife seen here.EA9B3598-7850-49E6-9755-2E7A31127B5F.jpeg We usually go to Indian Creek about an hour fifteen southwest of Moab Utah. Here is a photo of our Old Camping set up at Indian Creek.
3CFB2718-7DF1-45DE-AB9A-7AB74BFAD64D.jpeg
We recently got a full size Ram for similar adventures but haven’t made it back there yet. Hopefully soon. I highly recommend Indian Creek/Moab area for climbing.
B6439A9B-AB12-4E89-8359-D2ECF8B37D91.jpeg

Attachments

OutsideSeth

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Boise, ID, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1SLA
Climber checking in from Boise, Idaho. Have been mostly climbing indoors, but use to climb around the Potomac area when I lived in Virginia.

Boulder to v4/5
Top Rope to 5.12
Sport Lead to 5.10

Not currently at the top of my game coming off the snowboarding season, but excited for spring.

PB&Me

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Portland, Oregon
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Merges
Member #

Late to the party but another rock climber here. Exclusively rock when we lived in California (Cragmont and also Joshua Tree, plus trips to Red Rocks in Vegas and Monterrey, MX). Mostly top rope but got into trad lead climbing when I was at my peak.

Been away from it for over 10 years, just getting back into it now, albeit in a gym — better than not climbing at all. We will probably plan our future Overlanding trips around climbing.

Reactions: Stonecutter