RobRed Death Valley / Coso Wilderness Spring 2017 - You're Invited

• HTML tutorial

RobRed

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Dates:
Friday March 31 to Monday April 3, 2017
Weekend after fj80toyman's massive Mojave trip.

General Schedule As usual participants receive a detailed schedule about 2 weeks out

Thu Day 0: Travel Day and Camp near Lone Pine (Alabama Hills)
Fri Day 1: Meet in Lone Pine, head into Coso Range
Sat Day 2: Leave Coso and head into DV via Ballarat, Goler Wash, Megel Pass
Sun Day 3: Explore DV
Mon Day 4: Exit DV and Head Home

Where:
Death Valley and Coso Range (Wilderness)

What:
- Explore Coso and locate crashed F4 Phantom Jets, Camp at the Desert Madonna, Check out abandoned cabins.
- Explore Death Valley, Mengel Pass, Barker Ranch, Geologist Cabin and more. Possible run to the hot springs.
- Live your Dream

Death Valley CA. http://www.nps.gov/deva/index.htm
Things to Know Before You Go (DV Website) http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/things2know.htm

CAMPING:
This is dispersed camping. We will be responsible for packing out EVERYTHING we pack in.
Each Member/Vehicle will need to be responsible for:
- Food
- WATER >>> It's recommended that each adult have 1 gallon of water consumed per day. It's arid. You will dehydrate. No joke. No Fun.
- Shelter
- Bio-waste. It's mandatory each vehicle has a porta potty.
- Shade. There are no tall trees.
- Any special needs...

Campfires are ok - permit www.preventwildfireca.org/Campfire-Permit/
Plan to bring two boxes of firewood to share. We will be using established rings.

Wind; The desert can be whisper calm or raging winds. Be prepared to deal with wind. That means guy ropes and extra tent stakes etc to secure your camp.

First Aid:
Bring any special meds you need. Bring some general comfort items and SPF 30+ sunscreen. First aid is essential traveling in the back country. Don't rely on others.

VEHICLE:
- 4x4 in Good working order.
- Extra fuel - I recommend 2-5 gallons
- Good Set of AT or better tires on your vehicle.
- Spare tire, full size mandatory. At least 1.
- Frame Sliders Recommend but not required
- Tools for recovery (straps, solid recovery points), Jack capable of lifting your rig.

There are some climbs. Trails are mixed; dirt and small rocks, Sand, Washboard roads etc... Mengel has some larger rocks but I've done it in a bone stock Land Cruiser (in the dark) without issues.

Comms:
- Ham Radio required (2 meter Simplex)
I'll be sending a contact list to all with frequency information. If you have a handheld HAM I recommend an external antenna for it - you'll thank me later. I know not everyone has a HAM but for $25-40 on AMAZON you can get a Baofeng and $15 gets you a license (technician). Ask anyone who gone on my trips, it's awesome and easy. Folks are getting a call sign a couple days after the test. You have time don't procrastinate.

http://tlcfaq.com/main/2016/12/why-ham-radio/

Navigation:
Each vehicle should have navigation, be it paper maps or digital. I'll supply some way points for areas of interest as we get closer to the trip. If you have any to contribute please do so.

How to Participate in the Trip: PM me with your interest level. If you have been on my trips before, you are in. If you have not let's talk.

Confirmed Go List:

1. RobRed
2. JAndyMendo
3. MTN4RNR
4. adalto_n
5. Mayne
6. coledudley
7. nckwltn
8. explouis
9. smritte
10. Thatsalexus
11. EmptyOly
12. SuperDuty

WAIT LIST (I lock the GO list 2 weeks before)
1. TrekboxX
2. Serg
3. Todd
4. RedStripeRanger

I'll update this post with more as we get closer.

If you need help on any preparation or have general questions let me know. This is not just for the overland elite :-) We're an easy going group so if you are just starting out or a seasoned vet you'll have fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kent R