ROAM 1

• HTML tutorial

pyrotyro

Rank III

Advocate II

coloRADo
We are starting to build our overland/ mtb hauler trailer to tow behind the jeep. Although we have no problem sleeping on the ground and even using backpacking equipment, we mostly need more ROOM! And we have access to an RTT laying around, so thats comfy and makes for a quick camp.

Goals for this trailer:

1. Dont mess with the jeep. We wheel it and dont want to add a bunch of weight in the wrong places. The down side of a trailer in my mind is the maneuverability aspect and being able to take everything everywhere. This wont be a wheeling trailer, but a basecamp setup. Although dont be too surprised if you see it going places it really shouldnt, thats just in my nature.

2. Quicker camp. RTT, awning, pull out kitchen= less time setting up, more time doing fun stuff!

3. Haul bikes. We currently have a hitch bike rack for the jeep, but I dont like the idea of it hanging off the back of the trailer. I like to be able to see them while driving down the road, so I will be doing something funky to make that work ;)

4. Be baller. Enough said.

Day 1.

Ran into a road block before even making a single cut. The hubs on the jeep are about 1/4" smaller then the hubs on the trailer axle. Talked to a machine shop, but that was going to be costly and complicated. So just did it myself ha.

Done, then we got a good ways on the frame. Making the angles was time consuming, but very pleased with how it all turned out. Tomorrow will be welding in the rest of the crossbeams and hopefully leaf spring hangers and spring perches.

pyrotyro

Rank III

Advocate II

coloRADo
Finally back at it after a longer then expected holiday stay in the midwest.

Started by getting the front receiver all burned in and then plated the top

Im pretty happy with the height overall, it should sit a bit lower with more weight on it. We shall see!

Got the wires run on the inside of the frame rail, need to get a liquid tight connector to seal it up

Put the stock rubi shocks on, mostly for fun... theres not much up travel left in them, but these lil springs wont move much anyways.

Then we got going vertical on the box, just the basic frame. Some more squaring up is needed and then we will get the other supports in and start to work on door frames.

Last edited:

pyrotyro

Rank III

Advocate II

coloRADo
Feels like we're finally getting somewhere! Got the box framed, front (bike rack) receiver in, and floor on.

Then got to work on the walls

Heres how she sits as of now. Note the spare tire is only mocked up.

The bike is pretty tight to the spare, I will probably just push it out an inch or two by drilling a new hole in the rack...

pyrotyro

Rank III

Advocate II

coloRADo
Are you going to add stabilizer jacks to your trailer?
Yes, we have an idea of what that will look like and that will probably be coming soon! They wont be jacks that can lift the trailer to level it, just stabilizer bars strapped together.

Today we busted the ole tubing bender out, and got to work! Up front we have the spare tire supports.

Then got our flares/ side steps bent.

Pretty stoked on how this all turned out! It will be interesting bending the sheet metal for the flares... And not sure if we will leave the steps in front of and behind of the flares open or skin them too??

pyrotyro

Rank III

Advocate II

coloRADo
Pipe frame is awesome!
Thanks! I’m excited about it!

Been putzing on some small stuff the last few days. Got some basic tie downs mounted and some clamps for running electrical through.

IMG_5632.jpg

IMG_5637.jpg

IMG_5638.jpg

Also put side marker leds in and welded a tab for grounding electrical. Then got the spare permanently mounted.

IMG_5640.jpg

Couldn’t help myself to pull it out and look at it off the driveway lol

IMG_5634.jpg

IMG_5636.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

pyrotyro

Rank III

Advocate II

coloRADo
Had a very productive day! Got the sheet metal on flares and side runners. Bending to the radius of the tube was a mofo, and we didn’t get perfect edges on the side panels but it’s decent and will get filled before paint.

IMG_5641.jpg

IMG_5644.jpg

Also got door frames made and mounted as well as their inner seal mounts.

Reactions: yak51

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

Dang you, man! That looks great! I'm deciding on how to do my fenders at the moment. Your build looks great so far. Are you planning on painting or powder coating when your done.

pyrotyro

Rank III

Advocate II

coloRADo
Dang you, man! That looks great! I'm deciding on how to do my fenders at the moment. Your build looks great so far. Are you planning on painting or powder coating when your done.
Thank you! I’ve always wanted to try tube fenders and this was the perfect time to play. But square tubing and straight lines would be much easier and probably come out better...

I’m going to attempt to spray on a bedliner for the bottom/ frame rails/ fenders. Then just paint the box. What about you?

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

Resized952018011395145236955767.jpg My build currently sits like this. I think I might have it powder coated for around $300 or so. Im trying to decide if i want to custom make some fenders, or use the standard 10" jeep fenders that won't cover my tires. Playing around with a few options. I'm enjoying everyone's builds

pyrotyro

Rank III

Advocate II

coloRADo
View attachment 45556 My build currently sits like this. I think I might have it powder coated for around $300 or so. Im trying to decide if i want to custom make some fenders, or use the standard 10" jeep fenders that won't cover my tires. Playing around with a few options. I'm enjoying everyone's builds
300$ isn’t bad for powder coating, I was afraid to ask how much it would cost to do this trailer... you’re build is looking great, keep it up!