Right of way?

• HTML tutorial

trailspinTV

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Peoria, IL
Member #

While on the Daniel Boone Backcountry Bypass in Kentucky, we yielded to a few oncoming vehicles and realized we didn't have a definitive answer as to who has the right of way in these situations. One of the other guys in our group said that the convoy with the most people gets the right of way (and something about holding up fingers to signal how many vehicles are in your convoy), while I tend to feel like the most capable vehicles should make room for the less capable (pulling up onto berms or muddy shoulders to make room for stock family vehicles that found their way into gnarly trails). Do hill grades have anything to do with it? How about pulling a trailer?

Reactions: Kyle & Kari Frink

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

In hilly terrain the uphill traffic has the right of way in order to maintain momentum. The fingers show the stopped, yielding traffic how many rigs are behind you. I believe your idea of yielding to the less capable vehicles is a sound one.

Reactions: bawesomfels

Kage

Rank 0

Traveler I

In hilly terrain the uphill traffic has the right of way in order to maintain momentum. The fingers show the stopped, yielding traffic how many rigs are behind you.
All of this is correct. But in the end, apply common sense to create a safe situation to pass and it'll work itself out.

For example, on shelf roads there are usually a few pull outs here and there to allow for passing to happen. If there is one truck heading up hill (has the right of way) and 8 trucks heading down hill, it would make more sense for the one truck heading up hill to move over into a pull off so that the other 8 trucks heading down hill could pass by even though the uphill truck would be 'in the right' to request them to move over.

In reality, one on one head on meetings while on the trail (more common), usually whoever is closest to the nearest pull off or wide portion of the trail will back track to that spot to allow the other party to pass.

Don't over think it :-)

HEYElliott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Markham, Ontario, Canada
Member #

I agree with everything said thus far. Uphill travel unless safety says otherwise.

Hand signals are beneficial or a quick dialogue while passing driver side windows would suffice.

Traveler I

I have always thought that uphill traveler has the right of way, same as in hiking a narrow trail on foot. There are some individuals new to trail travel that do not even realize there are 'rules' in effect and will barrel you off the trail. Often there is no 'common sense' factor to any trail or camping situation. The blasting of a radio in a serene setting comes to mind and chopping or cutting down of green trees instead of carrying your own wood for fires ,where there is no ban on fires (which is getting to be a rarity in itself).
Mostly I travel solo or in groups that are savvy about the off roading experience and we do on occasion bemoan the less than savvy. All in all my experiences have been positive off roading.
Happy trails

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

While on the Daniel Boone Backcountry Bypass in Kentucky, we yielded to a few oncoming vehicles and realized we didn't have a definitive answer as to who has the right of way in these situations. One of the other guys in our group said that the convoy with the most people gets the right of way (and something about holding up fingers to signal how many vehicles are in your convoy), while I tend to feel like the most capable vehicles should make room for the less capable (pulling up onto berms or muddy shoulders to make room for stock family vehicles that found their way into gnarly trails). Do hill grades have anything to do with it? How about pulling a trailer?
I would say in these situations common sense and decency come into play, most times we just make room for on coming traffic since our rig is better equipped than most but that all depends on the situation on who has more room.

Robert Jordan

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Grass Valley, CA
Member #

I will have to agree with uphill travel. However one thing I will add is if you are on a trail that is designated as such please do not go off trail to allow passersby. Most trails will have a boundary line to allow for this purpose. Keep your tires in the marked areas of the trail. We have a lot of issues with that up here in the Sierra Nevada mountains and it has led to some major destruction of some of the most beautiful trails.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
"I agree with everything said thus far. Uphill travel unless safety says otherwise". THIS, as others above have mentioned. Those with a trailer, get to dictate direction by default. But all things equal, i have seen drivers who assume that they are going to dictate what you do by their actions, regardless of what is correct decorum.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
common sense should prevail, but safety and hand signals to others go a long way too
Learned long again,....motorcycles and ATV riding, to try and signal group numbers when in mountainous and winding terrain. Many also reciprocate this but i still run into those who have no clue. You hope they are just....newbies....