Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Evansville, IN
First Name
Don
Last Name
Rumble
Member #

So I'm looking for a rig to make into my overlander. I'm retired; so economics plays largely in my planning. I can find used wrangler unlimited(s) for under $10K in my area but most are in the 175k-200K mileage levels. Is it worth my effort & $$$ to pick one of theses up and put $5K+ into it in differentials, tires, lift kits, bumpers, winch... just to have the engine or tranny to crap out on me just as I'm starting to have fun. Or should I just scrap this dream and just start working jigsaw puzzles.:smile:

DCR465

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Evansville, IN
First Name
Don
Last Name
Rumble
Member #

If I had 10k to spend on a rig it would be a 4th gen 4runner w/ the 4.0 V6. It sure wouldn't be a jeep, but some jeep guy will post up and say how wrong I am. :)
Can only find 1 4runner at $10k and it has been wrecked and has 167K miles on it
Tons of Highlanders available

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

Consider the 99-04 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0, select track transfer case, and factory tow package. Patient looking and you can find a 100k mile one for 5 or 6k. And you may do better than that. Add a budget lift and tires, and save the rest of the money for maintenance. Lots of nice ones in the junkyard lately for cheap parts.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

So I'm looking for a rig to make into my overlander. I'm retired; so economics plays largely in my planning. I can find used wrangler unlimited(s) for under $10K in my area but most are in the 175k-200K mileage levels. Is it worth my effort & $$$ to pick one of theses up and put $5K+ into it in differentials, tires, lift kits, bumpers, winch... just to have the engine or tranny to crap out on me just as I'm starting to have fun. Or should I just scrap this dream and just start working jigsaw puzzles.:smile:
Box stock a JKU is more capable than most modified pickups. No need for lift, big rubber, regear. Buy one with the 3.73 rear end, go for a 2" lift, buy 33s when your tires wear out. Done. Save the extra $3K for maintenance before anything craps out.

Under $10K for a JKU is a bargain but you might be better to up the purchase price and get something closer to 100K miles.

On lifts and affordability from my experience every inch of lift, every inch increase in tire size will cost 1mpg. I just went from 33x10.50R15s, 17mpg to 7.50R16s, 22mpg on my TJR. I drive 24K miles a year so that one change saves me 320 gallons of gas a year.... or 7K miles of free driving at 22mpg.

Plus the 7.50R16s are rated to go 33% farther and they cost 25% less. That cuts my tire costs in half. If you go taller, try to also go skinnier.

Last edited:
Reactions: MazeVX and Downs

RoyB

Rank IV

Contributor II

Boston
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Bertalotto
I'm in the same place. Looking for something to pull a small overlanding trailer, have 4wd,and get at least 25mpg. I amazed at how many used vehicles have well over 150k miles.

ArloTheH2

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kansas City
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Haworth
Member #

I have my eyes on a 2006 H3 122k miles $8.8K. Sweet looking don't know enough about 5 cyl engine
Yeah me either. Who TF came up with that motor!? I passed on one from a guy at work for $2500. You can find 2007 and older H2's pretty reasonable, 08-09 are considerably higher. Mine was $24k. Cool trucks, but they seem to like hanging around on car lifts.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Yeah me either. Who TF came up with that motor!? I passed on one from a guy at work for $2500. You can find 2007 and older H2's pretty reasonable, 08-09 are considerably higher. Mine was $24k. Cool trucks, but they seem to like hanging around on car lifts.
you never see H2s or H3s off road.... must be a good reason

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Yeah me either. Who TF came up with that motor!?
Volvo. Then GM ‘borrowed’ the design.

The GM 5 cylinder is a great engine. Very reliable but a bit anemic on the interstate. I really liked my H3.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

To get back to the actual question posed by Don, I don’t think I would be comfortable dropping $10k on a truck with 200,000 miles, I don’t care what brand. That’s just asking for heartburn. You never know how rough those miles have been and that’s a long time to be guessing. That may just be me.

Seems like a good idea to step back and ask yourself what you want to do with an overland rig. Where do you want to go? Be realistic, where are you actually going to drive? How “overbuilt” does your rig need to be? Do you plan on towing a trailer? Rock Crawling? No one vehicle is going to be perfect for everything but you have to find the balance that’s right for you. $10k is a pretty good budget but you’ll certainly have to make some concessions to get capability and dependability.

When I started looking for a new vehigle, I researched for over a year. I test drove everything I could and I made a list of wants vs needs. I also looked at my previous travel history. What I found was that for every 20 miles I spent off-road, I drove almost 200 miles on pavement. That really shocked me but it was a fact. Getting to those destinations racks up the miles and I wanted comfort getting there as well as capability when I arrived.

There is a lot of great advice on this forum. Hopefully it helps you find the right vehicle for you.

Ralph

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Szczecin, Westpomerania (PL)
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

If U focus on economics (both consumsion and exploatation) search IN-LINE 6 engines. Whatever the brand or origin of the vehicles. V evgines are more compicated and sensitive - remember: "it's not spoil what is absent". 4-cyl in-line engines gives not enough torque - needed in Overlanding. There is no exeption in this rule - sorry....

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Volvo. Then GM ‘borrowed’ the design.

The GM 5 cylinder is a great engine. Very reliable but a bit anemic on the interstate. I really liked my H3.
My parents had one in a trailblazer. Good engine put a ton of miles on it and made good enough power for the Trailblazer.

OP dont' be too afraid of vehicles with higher mileage. If you can find one the previous owner kept a good maintenance history on even better. Get whatever brand you like and do the research on your own which ones have what problems. No matter what things fail. A few grand for a replacement engine years down the road beats a 300-500 dollar a month new car payment for those same number of years.

Reactions: J.W.

RoyB

Rank IV

Contributor II

Boston
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Bertalotto
IN-LINE 6 cylinder, four cycle engines are inherently stable. Smoothest running engines only bested by a V or flat 12. They simply don't beat themselves to death like a V engine does.
This is the reason the old Chrysler "slant 6" was so long lived. And the old Chevy straight six which was used in everything from tractor trailer trucks to early Toyota vehicles after WW2. And lets not forget Jaguar XKe......

V6 engines are a nightmare as they need all kinds of balance shafts etc to even get them to be close to smooth. They only exist because of front wheel drive vehicles needing a shorter more compact engine.

The inline 5, I believe first introduced by AUDI was a very rough running engine. On every fourth cycle one of the pistons were out of phase. Again, it was needed because it was shorter than a straight 6 but a bit better for torque than a V6.

Inline 4cl engines can be torque monsters. Lots of bulldozers and other earth moving equipment were powered by the old International 152 ci 4 banger that was a torque monster for its size.

Reactions: Ralph

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

The inline 5, I believe first introduced by AUDI was a very rough running engine. On every fourth cycle one of the pistons were out of phase. Again, it was needed because it was shorter than a straight 6 but a bit better for torque than a V6.
Henry Ford had a working I5 in the ‘30s. My comment about Volvo was because that is who GM borrowed the design from that ended up in the H3. But yes, Audi had a good one too.

ArloTheH2

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor II

Kansas City
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Haworth
Member #

I've seen plenty of both off road. The all wheel drive H2 with front and rear lockers is very capable off road platform.
The H2's do have disproportionately small tie rods especially when people start throwing oversized tires on them. Most you see off road have stronger aftermarket steering components.

Ralph

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Szczecin, Westpomerania (PL)
First Name
Ralph
Last Name
Batkowski
Member #

Henry Ford had a working I5 in the ‘30s. My comment about Volvo was because that is who GM borrowed the design from that ended up in the H3. But yes, Audi had a good one too.
He in EU we consider I5 VAG engines most reliable low capacity and low consuptions. They run like 0,5 mkm without a hassle.