Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I think you'll like the new position, it should cut down on glare and reflection. That will make it a lot easier to see with them on. DOn't forget to go out and aim them! ;))
I never use aux lighting on road thats what my hi beams and factory fogs are for . if they aint aimed where i need em they are worthless anyways. Ditch lights look cool but i grew tired of them blocking my view, bouncing around on highway and the awful glare on the hood. The next ditch light i do will be a pair of flush mounts installed in the front of my side mirrors where they will actuall be useful without the glare or i may do rock lights in my fender well, im not sure yet if i want to cut up a pair of $280 mirrors or just install the rock lights in fender.

Reactions: JCWages and 64Trvlr

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I never use aux lighting on road thats what my hi beams and factory fogs are for . if they aint aimed where i need em they are worthless anyways. Ditch lights look cool but i grew tired of them blocking my view, bouncing around on highway and the awful glare on the hood. The next ditch light i do will be a pair of flush mounts installed in the front of my side mirrors where they will actuall be useful without the glare or i may do rock lights in my fender well, im not sure yet if i want to cut up a pair of $280 mirrors or just install the rock lights in fender.
Sound like you're on the right track lighting wise. I hope you post your experiment with lights on the mirrors, I'd like to see how they turn out.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Sound like you're on the right track lighting wise. I hope you post your experiment with lights on the mirrors, I'd like to see how they turn out.
I got the idea for the mirror lights off a jeep i seen friday they looked to work pretty good for him. He had what looked to be a set of these set into the mirrors.

Reactions: 64Trvlr

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I got the idea for the mirror lights off a jeep i seen friday they looked to work pretty good for him. He had what looked to be a set of these set into the mirrors.

Looks good, might try them with just power before you try cutting and fitting. Is there enough room in the mirror housing for them and I also wonder if you would be able to shim them so they point where you want them when you get them in the mirror body?

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Looks good, might try them with just power before you try cutting and fitting. Is there enough room in the mirror housing for them and I also wonder if you would be able to shim them so they point where you want them when you get them in the mirror body?
There is probably 2 inch between the mirror motor and the front plastic on the mirror. Im more concerned about getting extra power wires to the mirrors. My other option is some of those 9 watt led bolts that ford raptors have in their grill. Really i dont need alot of light to the sides just enough to be able to see tire placement on the rocks. I may just go the fender rock light route and save myself the trouble they look stupid but if they work im ok with it, i certainly wouldnt use the color changing feature or have em on while on the road.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
One idiot checking in!

Where I live early mornings or late evenings there is little to no traffic with the exception of elk, deer, cattle, horses and sometime vehicles people left not quite off the road. I use my off road lights a lot during those hours so I can see and avoid those things.

When I see headlights coming my way I dim my lights until they have passed. I've had mornings that in 40 minutes or so I've only seen 3-4 other vehicles.

Now I have had a lot of people with "improved" factory lights and light bars blind me from over a mile because they didn't bother to aim those really cool lights. If you're going to put lights on your rig take an hour or so and aim them so that they actually work.
Sorry Kevin, I should not not use words like idiot unless I define them better than I did when I wrote that.

What I was really complaining about are the people here that have excess lighting, excessive lifts, just for looks or right to brag shopping center queens. They get out on the HIGHWAYS, not the back roads, where there is little traffic, turn on all their lights and blind all the other vehicles on the road. A lot of the blinding is because of the vehicle being raised and there driving lights are not adjusted to compensate.

I don't mind people having all the lights they want as long as it dosent endanger other drivers vision. I don't know why these people here have so little respect for other drivers, but it seems to me they just don't give a damn as long as they can see everything themselves.

No one is an idiot who uses their equipment for what it was designed to do. Off roads lights mean off road, and not for highway use in traffic.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Sorry Kevin, I should not not use words like idiot unless I define them better than I did when I wrote that.

What I was really complaining about are the people here that have excess lighting, excessive lifts, just for looks or right to brag shopping center queens. They get out on the HIGHWAYS, not the back roads, where there is little traffic, turn on all their lights and blind all the other vehicles on the road. A lot of the blinding is because of the vehicle being raised and there driving lights are not adjusted to compensate.

I don't mind people having all the lights they want as long as it dosent endanger other drivers vision. I don't know why these people here have so little respect for other drivers, but it seems to me they just don't give a damn as long as they can see everything themselves.

No one is an idiot who uses their equipment for what it was designed to do. Off roads lights mean off road, and not for highway use in traffic.
Ive seen alot of newer cars with factory led lights that blind me on the road with just their lows on bad enough i have to wear my yellow shooting glasses on the highway at night . I think alot of new drivers dont get that having highs on hurts others either . In my area if your on road with aux lights lit up youll be having a conversation with the sherrif or dps trooper. If the cops in your area dont do anything about it the only option is to go bigger than those with the bright stuff and flash em when they drive by. Fight fire with fire or a taste of their own medicine if you will.

Reactions: M Rose and 64Trvlr

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
One idiot checking in!

Now I have had a lot of people with "improved" factory lights and light bars blind me from over a mile because they didn't bother to aim those really cool lights. If you're going to put lights on your rig take an hour or so and aim them so that they actually work.

It's ok, I didn't take offense to what you said at all. I just wanted to point out there are places and times when it's ok to use my well aimed "off road" lights on the highway. I do not use them in traffic or when there are a lot of other vehicles on the road. Except once in a while when one of "those guys" are coming at me with 10 bazillion lights on and won't dim them. ;))

Cliff notes, no worries!

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
Ive seen alot of newer cars with factory led lights that blind me on the road with just their lows on bad enough i have to wear my yellow shooting glasses on the highway at night . I think alot of new drivers dont get that having highs on hurts others either . In my area if your on road with aux lights lit up youll be having a conversation with the sherrif or dps trooper. If the cops in your area dont do anything about it the only option is to go bigger than those with the bright stuff and flash em when they drive by. Fight fire with fire or a taste of their own medicine if you will.
In my area neither the Sheriff or Highway Patrol will bother you if there isn't any else on the road. If you do it in traffic then you get to do the "meet n greet".

If the guys with the super bright unaimed lights don't dim usually a quick flash of my 2 500,000cp lights gets their attention and "poof" the lights dim. ;))

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
My hood mounted ''ditch lights'' are pointed out at a 45 degree angle. Sometimes all the way out, 90 degrees.

For tight night time turns where the apex of the switchback is behind my front bumper. (trailers) Never understood the guys that aim them forward. It's the worst place to put forward facing lights.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
My hood mounted ''ditch lights'' are pointed out at a 45 degree angle. Sometimes all the way out, 90 degrees.

For tight night time turns where the apex of the switchback is behind my front bumper. (trailers) Never understood the guys that aim them forward. It's the worst place to put forward facing lights.
I guess that depends on how many lights you have on your rig and what they're for. I have 2 spot lights that face forward, 2 flood lights that point out about 45* and my back up lights at are also on a switch so I can see behind me.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

These are lights that I just purchased. I'll be in the market for a larger light bar soon

I have them too. I wanted something to light left and right on the beach, they work great.
Plus I added a small light bar on the roof, under the roof rack for protection and far enough back to keep any glare off the hood.

DSCN1172.jpeg

DSC_0025.jpeg

Reactions: RoarinRow

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
I just went with LED headlights, LED fogs for regular driving and one pair of flood LED pods on the front bumper and a rear chase light. Works well enough for my needs. Cowl mounted and over head light bars and stuff just make tons of glare and aren't great for driving at night or in adverse conditions in my experience. The next thing I have going for lighting will be some amber led fog lights to replace the led bulbs in the OEM housings.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I added a pair of Harbor Freight 100w halogen driving lights to the bumper. I need to aim them down a bit but they reach pretty dang for for $25 lights.

I planon adding a 22" LED bar below them in the bumper for better frontal and side coverage.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Well, before I go and toss hundreds of dollars at a new set of LED housings etc. I think im going to try the GTR Led bulbs from HR. From what I have seen of them, they create the exact same beam pattern as the stock bulbs but with more "ooomph". Both my Wrangler and Patriot are using H13, one of the worst bulbs for output. Supposedly it's because of the bulbs design they had to decrease output to keep heat in check with the smaller bulb. Heat is not an issue with the GTR so you can get more output. I had a crappy set of led bulbs in the escape and they were marginally better than stock, so I think a good pair that are designed with the original bulb in mind would make a really good upgrade. If they follow the same beam pattern there is no light scatter, or blinding light to other drivers. No more than any LED light in the new cars these days anyways.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I added a pair of Harbor Freight 100w halogen driving lights to the bumper. I need to aim them down a bit but they reach pretty dang for for $25 lights.

I planon adding a 22" LED bar below them in the bumper for better frontal and side coverage.
Toss in a HID kit into them and have a set of great lights that punch a huge hole in the night.

Reactions: JCWages and 64Trvlr

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
Well, before I go and toss hundreds of dollars at a new set of LED housings etc. I think im going to try the GTR Led bulbs from HR. From what I have seen of them, they create the exact same beam pattern as the stock bulbs but with more "ooomph". Both my Wrangler and Patriot are using H13, one of the worst bulbs for output. Supposedly it's because of the bulbs design they had to decrease output to keep heat in check with the smaller bulb. Heat is not an issue with the GTR so you can get more output. I had a crappy set of led bulbs in the escape and they were marginally better than stock, so I think a good pair that are designed with the original bulb in mind would make a really good upgrade. If they follow the same beam pattern there is no light scatter, or blinding light to other drivers. No more than any LED light in the new cars these days anyways.
Personally I'd do whole new LED's. The stock housings are pretty crap and thats a big part of the problem. When I first bought my JKU I swapped out to some Hella H4 housings and that was a massive upgrade in terms of beam pattern and coverage, even with the stock wattage H4's. Some LED h4 bubs in housings like that might work well, who knows. Heck, I think my old H4 housings are floating around at home somewhere as well...