Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I am hoping to gain some ideas on my next rig. I do mild to moderate trails, but I'm no rock crawler. I have considered a van, but the lack of off-road capability turned me off to them. I am strongly considering a Land Cruiser, either 80 or 100 series, or importing a HZJ75 troopy. I am unaware of any other rig that would allow me to haul myself, 4 passengers, and 4 dogs at the max. I like the idea of the troopy for the enormous back end space and the jump seats, but that may not be feasible given the lack of availability and importation process. Please let me know your thoughts on a rig. I want everyone to be as comfortable as possible and be able to contain all of the gear associated with 5 total people and 4 dogs. Thanks in advance for any ideas you might have!

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
As you know, I love my 100 series Land Cruiser. It is a solid, comfortable rig and will haul 4 people and their gear without any fuss. If you add 4 dogs to the load out, I am not sure there would be enough room inside. You will have to check out the space and interior configuration of the 100 at next weeks get together.

Maybe an Excursion, Suburban or 4wd Van would fulfill your space requirements while avoiding the hassle of importing a Troopy.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
As you know, I love my 100 series Land Cruiser. It is a solid, comfortable rig and will haul 4 people and their gear without any fuss. If you add 4 dogs to the load out, I am not sure there would be enough room inside. You will have to check out the space and interior configuration of the 100 at next weeks get together.

Maybe an Excursion, Suburban or 4wd Van would fulfill your space requirements while avoiding the hassle of importing a Troopy.
I'll give your rig a good look over this next weekend. I think we could make the 100 work, but it might be tight. Luckily two of the four dogs are smaller and the third is medium sized. I know all but the big dog fit well in the WJ but it's a little tight when loaded. The third row seems like a solid idea minus the space loss. I even considered using one of the 2 seats in the 3rd row and the open space for the big dog. stick one kiddo and the dog back there, and then the other two kiddos and three smaller dogs up in the 2nd row. But, I still feel that's be tight. The troopy seemed like the logical choice. 4 jump seat benches with space underneath, leg room, diesel, solid axle. It made sense initially. I am still thinking about that route or a diesel 80. Too bad the 100 diesels aren't old enough to get in under the import laws.

Reactions: KonzaLander

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Some of the diesel discovery 1s are getting old enough to import. Quite capable off-road, and your budget could really get one in nice shape with room to fix just about anything that needs attention once here. Se7 models Seat 7 with the rear jump seats. With the rear jump seats folded up there is reasonable room for doggies back there.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Some of the diesel discovery 1s are getting old enough to import. Quite capable off-road, and your budget could really get one in nice shape with room to fix just about anything that needs attention once here. Se7 models Seat 7 with the rear jump seats. With the rear jump seats folded up there is reasonable room for doggies back there.
I'll give it a look. Biggest issue I've ran into on trips with the kiddos is that they want their space. Sitting all three in the backseat of any car without a third row turns into WW3 sometimes. My partner had a crossover with a 3rd row that we took on our first big trip a few summers ago and they loved having more of their own space. Since she traded it in on a Subaru, both that and my WJ are about the same space wise in the back seat, but more cargo room in the Subaru. I like the idea of a third row or jump seats like that D1. But with all of those living things in one rig comes a lot of stuff. Perks of the jump seats are that they can hold some gear under them. If I had a trailer, an 80 or 100 series LC would do since we can all sit comfortably and throw all the food and gear in the trailer. I might look at this route depending on what I find out when I check out @KonzaLander 's 100 next weekend. But I still want a diesel regardless.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I love Land Rovers but I'd hate be in one with 4other people and 4 dogs. For that I'd recommend a six passenger van, 6 captains chairs and plenty of dog room. I hate the idea of cramming 3 people into a rear bench seat for any kind of distance which rules out a Suburban. The good thing about used vans too is how cheap they are.

What are the advantages of diesel?

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

I love Land Rovers but I'd hate be in one with 4other people and 4 dogs. For that I'd recommend a six passenger van, 6 captains chairs and plenty of dog room. I hate the idea of cramming 3 people into a rear bench seat for any kind of distance which rules out a Suburban. The good thing about used vans too is how cheap they are.

What are the advantages of diesel?
On the discos at least the diesel yields significantly more range from the same size fuel tank. (350mi vs 580mi iirc) Also the torque curve is really great in low range.

Most vans don’t have low range, which limits capability and is likely why the OP mentioned not considering them.

Land Rovers are often stupid cheap, mine was less than 1k bought, tagged, and titled. That would leave the OP a hefty pile of $$$ to refurb whatever they desire. I’ve been looking at importing a low mileage diesel that’s rusty and can’t pass MOT to snatch the driveline out of, or waiting to see the outcome of some of the 4bt swaps that are getting kinks worked out atm.

Daryl 32

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Corona, Ca
Member #

I would throw my hat in with 1 dere.

Also if you can find a good older used vehicle - you have more money in the bank for needed OL rig outfitting and trips!

We love your 99 F250 7.3 Diesel. Never an issue with carrying gear, even when the whole family goes and we need to carry their gear also.

Baja 0209.jpg

A Christmas M 8.jpg

Reactions: 1derer