JoeySr

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Wyoming
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Macandaffer
Have a 19 F150 Raptor with a Diamondback cover & looking at mounting either a Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform or a Frontrunner Simline rack on the cover.

Will be driving off road, high speed & off angle/camber with lots of stress applied to the rack, keeping it as low as possible.....

Will not be mounting a RTT on it, will be for the spare tire, OzTent, jack, jerry cans, propane bottles and other such items....

What rack would you recommend and why??

JA4R

Rank I

Enthusiast I

I have a 74" x 49" Rhino Rack Platform on my 4Runner, and I love it. Looks great, light weight, and relatively easy to install using their backbone system. I picked it up over the Front Runner, mainly due to the expense. You can get the Rhino Rack from moosejaw.com and they're always running coupons and free shipping. Can't beat that. Plus, the Rhino Rack accessories are easy to get a hold of. This is loaded up from a fishing/camping trip in August. You can see my RV-5 on the right-hand side of the rack.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1baa.jpg

JoeySr

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Wyoming
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Macandaffer
I have a 74" x 49" Rhino Rack Platform on my 4Runner, and I love it. Looks great, light weight, and relatively easy to install using their backbone system. I picked it up over the Front Runner, mainly due to the expense. You can get the Rhino Rack from moosejaw.com and they're always running coupons and free shipping. Can't beat that. Plus, the Rhino Rack accessories are easy to get a hold of. This is loaded up from a fishing/camping trip in August. You can see my RV-5 on the right-hand side of the rack.

View attachment 123009

View attachment 123009
Thanks for the reply.

How do you like your RV-5, so far we really like ours, but hate the bag it came in, it does not fit the RV 5 with fly & side awning.

How do you secure/lock it to the rhino rack, that is one thing we are not sure how to do, do not want it stollen when it’s on and we are somewhere touristy or high crime area.

planning a trip to NC & the outer banks and slightly worried the heat/humidity will be to much in it in the summer.

JA4R

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Thanks for the reply.

How do you like your RV-5, so far we really like ours, but hate the bag it came in, it does not fit the RV 5 with fly & side awning.

How do you secure/lock it to the rhino rack, that is one thing we are not sure how to do, do not want it stollen when it’s on and we are somewhere touristy or high crime area.

planning a trip to NC & the outer banks and slightly worried the heat/humidity will be to much in it in the summer.

The RV-5 is an awesome tent. I've taken it out camping a couple times since I got it earlier this year, and it's been solid every time. The bag does suck, though. I'm able to get in fine with the fly and fly poles, but I leave the stake bags in a different part of my camp kit. That helps some. If you google Drifta Australia, they make a replacement bag that's supposed to more heavy duty, rainproof, and larger. I'm sure that's the route I'll go whenever the OEM bag rips.

For mounting the RV on the rack, I use Rhino Rack's Pioneer Platform Pickup Kit, and to lock the tent up I use an extra eyelet and a Master Lock bike lock. Maybe this photo gives you an idea?

IMG_6086.jpg

We took the RV-5 to Portsmouth Island this past August for the three nights. Can't recommend the tent or the island enough. Just bring some bug spray, a tent fan (which I didn't think of), and strong stakes and you'll be good to go.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1bb4.jpg

Reactions: JoeySr

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I've had a Rhino Rack for over two years now and it is still as new. It is really heavy duty, easy to bolt down items with T nuts and the finish resists scratching from sliding heavy items over it.

Reactions: JoeySr

JoeySr

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Wyoming
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Macandaffer
The RV-5 is an awesome tent. I've taken it out camping a couple times since I got it earlier this year, and it's been solid every time. The bag does suck, though. I'm able to get in fine with the fly and fly poles, but I leave the stake bags in a different part of my camp kit. That helps some. If you google Drifta Australia, they make a replacement bag that's supposed to more heavy duty, rainproof, and larger. I'm sure that's the route I'll go whenever the OEM bag rips.

For mounting the RV on the rack, I use Rhino Rack's Pioneer Platform Pickup Kit, and to lock the tent up I use an extra eyelet and a Master Lock bike lock. Maybe this photo gives you an idea?

View attachment 123267

We took the RV-5 to Portsmouth Island this past August for the three nights. Can't recommend the tent or the island enough. Just bring some bug spray, a tent fan (which I didn't think of), and strong stakes and you'll be good to go.

View attachment 123268
Great idea on how to secure the tent, was looking at cable/padlock or possible Rhino-Rack's cable lock system.

Going to NC in July and down the coast to FL has us wondering about how to put AC in the RV5 with the heat/humidity :smile:

Been thinking about getting some sand stakes for the tent, all we have now are the OZTent pegs.....and after looking at yhr Drifta tent bag & how we can't get the 5 with fly and peaked side pannels in the factory bag, think a order from Drifta will be happening.

JoeySr

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Wyoming
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Macandaffer
Sidebar, going to navy gateway annex dam neck and then down the outer banks to Camp Lejeune & then Fayetteville and down the coast taking our time in July/Aug....so going to be hot/humid and lots of bugs....looking for ways to make putting up/taking down the RV5 fast and easy & might even get a smaller pop up tent for a quick nights sleep.

JA4R

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Great idea on how to secure the tent, was looking at cable/padlock or possible Rhino-Rack's cable lock system.

Going to NC in July and down the coast to FL has us wondering about how to put AC in the RV5 with the heat/humidity :smile:

Been thinking about getting some sand stakes for the tent, all we have now are the OZTent pegs.....and after looking at yhr Drifta tent bag & how we can't get the 5 with fly and peaked side pannels in the factory bag, think a order from Drifta will be happening.
I used a combination of stakes for the Portsmouth trip. MSR Groundhogs for the ground sheet, MSR Cyclones for the tent body, and Coghlan's Twist Anchors for all the guy lines. We had a pretty nasty squall our last night, and the tent didn't blink.