RFC/R : Choosing pickup camper shell for F150 short bed (5.5')

• HTML tutorial

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

Greetings.

Well, I've changed vehicles, the Explorer is off to find a new home. I now have a new blank slate, a 2018 F150 Supercrew with the 5.5' bed. I'm looking for comments/recommendations on shells from those that have already gone through this.

I've looked at rack setups for the back, and while I love them, the possibility of bringing my dogs and other needs for the vehicle make the enclosed space a shell provides a better choice for me.

I'm leaning towards ARE. The hinges on the ARE seem stronger and more durable than what I've seen on Leer and Snugtop. I haven't been able to look at JASON or Century yet. I'm sure there are other options I've not considered, thus my question here.

I'm leaning towards the higher profile shell such as the MX series from ARE. I'd like the driver's side to have flip-up door with accessible storage (like some of the commercial shells). On the passenger side I'd prefer to have a window that can open, though another storage area would be OK if they have to come in pairs. I also don't want something with a big arc or angled read that cuts off space at the back. If there are things loaded to the back of the bed, if the tail gate closes the top should as well. Some of the shells seem to taper so much that you lose vertical space at the back.

I'd also like the option of a roof rack of some sort where extra gear can go on top.

Anyone have any recommendations or comments? Any thing I should look for specifically? Or anything I'm being unreasonable about?

Anything I should look at? Or I should avoid?

Thanks in advance,
Greg

phxdsrtrat

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Glendale, AZ
First Name
Curtiss
Last Name
S
Member #

I went with Leer myself. Just liked the look better. BTW, Century is built in the same factory as Leer and aside from some minor hardware differences they are the same shell. Century is just less expensive.

There is no arguing that the ARE toppers have some beefy hinges. But, from personal experience on the 3 toppers I've owned I've never had a hinge fail. Now, with that being said this is also my first frameless rear window shell. It's 4 years old now and still holding up. I mounted my own rails and put a Garvin Industries Wilderness rack on my truck. The shell has held up fine with that addition and I would expect any of the manufacturers you have listed to also do fine. The key there is to insure the rails are installed properly. I think all the manufacturers have that as an option. I did do mine myself and it wasn't too difficult.

-Curtiss