Launch Member

Explorer I

Rotorua, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Kelley
Member #

So I have this build that I am planning for one day far in the future that involves putting a Cummins R2.8 engine in an FJ40 with dynatrac Jeep JK Axles (which have wheel speed sensors and disc brakes all around). I occasionally do research/planning for it here and there but for the last couple days, I have been trying to figure out how I would retrofit an ABS into the rig and I have gotten nowhere. So far I have found out I should find a donor car with similar overall weight, front/rear weight distribution, center of gravity, roll rate, and wheelbase from a 4x4 truck since those have more tolerance in loading. You can get a kit from Bosch I believe but it's up in the $5k territory. And even if I find something similar (like a Jeep system) a lot of those have to integrate with the ECU from the vehicle it was taken from, so I just keep landing back at square one.

The question is, does anyone else have any relevant experience here or should I just not add ABS? I understand ABS is not real useful off road unless it has the next further addition of traction control which almost always needs to hook to the ECU, but I would prefer to have it on road. I plan to use this as a overlander rig that sees moderate off road use.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

I’ve added it to several classic vehicles where it was an option not ordered, and one classic bronco utilizing a v8 explorer circa my 2000 as the donor. IMHO do it right or not at all. It’s an expensive proposition for most chassis but I’d wager more worth it as time goes on to keep these older vehicles on the road longer.

Reactions: Scott_Milk

Scott_Milk

Rank IV
Launch Member

Explorer I

Rotorua, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Kelley
Member #

I’ve added it to several classic vehicles where it was an option not ordered, and one classic bronco utilizing a v8 explorer circa my 2000 as the donor. IMHO do it right or not at all. It’s an expensive proposition for most chassis but I’d wager more worth it as time goes on to keep these older vehicles on the road longer.
ok so lets say I do find a donor vehicle. What in particular should I look for to make sure it can be made standalone and will work right? And what all would I have to rip out of that vehicle? I understand how the system works essentially with the wheel speed sensors, the control module to decide when to activate ABS, the valves and pump, etc. Each wheel speed sensor only has 2 wires so 8 in total, and the control module needs power obviously but whenever I look at the plug for these, they haves something like 40+ pins. What else is involved that I might need? Maybe line pressure sensors? It'd be nice to have traction control but I know that's a whole other thing to complicate things on its own.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

That explorer conversion needed the Vehicle speed sensor in the rear diff, and a roll pitch and yaw sensor mounted under a seat. All four disk brakes had to be plumbed through the unit. As well as power to the pump and valves. We coded the stability control out of the unit with a scantool.

Reactions: Scott_Milk